I am getting a curve 9300 AT&T for $1. Good deal. The catch is the old owner does not recall his bbid password. If I deliberately enter 10 wrong passwords, what will happen to the phone? Will it completely reset to factory settings and let me enter my own bbid or will it become a brick?
    12-05-17 11:08 AM
    I am getting a curve 9300 AT&T for $1. Good deal. The catch is the old owner does not recall his bbid password. If I deliberately enter 10 wrong passwords, what will happen to the phone? Will it completely reset to factory settings and let me enter my own bbid or will it become a brick?
    Congratulations. You're paying $1 for a rock/brick/glass paperweight..
    12-05-17 01:08 PM
    Didn't think there was really any antitheft protection on old BBOS devices.... you wipe and it fine to use with a new BBID. Haven't used one in six years so I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure how good of a deal it is... unless you already have a BIS account and don't need a modern smartphone.
    12-05-17 01:12 PM
    Didn't think there was really any antitheft protection on old BBOS devices.... you wipe and it fine to use with a new BBID. Haven't used one in six years so I'm not 100% sure.

Not sure how good of a deal it is... unless you already have a BIS account and don't need a modern smartphone.
    Either way, in 2018, it's a paperweight.......
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ck2nb like this.
    12-05-17 01:16 PM
    You guys are too harsh on Blackberry. You're still fans of Blackberry, right?
    Anyways, I do have a REAL smartphone I can use (iPhone) or Nougat android phone, but I like the compactness of the old Blackberries. I do have BIS, so I'm going to see if the old curve 9300 will work. I mostly just do feature phone-type activities, anyways, so the paperweight (3G, non-touchscreen, useless browser, etc.) will be just fine for me. It'll be fun!

Anyway, I think doing a master reset from the settings options will accomplish the same thing and wipe out the old BBID, too.

Speaking of paperweights, I decided to get a palm pixi plus for fun. Now THAT will be a challenge to use or set up. It'll be my December project...
    12-05-17 01:38 PM
    should work for 10x wrong pw. if not, you lost 1 dollar. it is great to use as alarm clock if you can find the charge stand. I am still have few 9xxx series. great to play brick break, use as gps for hiking tracking with bb map (stand alone...don't need data) and fitness walking tracking... I believe the poynt is still works... (just bloomberg is no longer working now...). that is some "paper" weight I like... (got 2 of them, 9900 and 9790, no sim. wifi only... yes, I can get bis if I wish from freedom...). you might want to update the latest BBOS if you can. enjoy and let us know if the 10x wipe did the trick or not. good luck.
    12-05-17 02:34 PM
    I actually have a Curve 9300 already from Wind (Canadian provider), but the bands are wrong for AT&T, so I can't use it as a phone. It's my favorite Kindle reader, though. However, the $1 9300 IS an AT&T model, so I'll see how it works. I use a Bold 9900 as my main phone anyway, so I'm quite comfortable with BBOS 6-7.
    12-05-17 03:14 PM
    Good deal.At least is a toy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-08-17 04:43 AM
    BIS has, at most, a couple of months to live on AT&T, so you should factor that into your plans. They announced more than a year ago that they'll be decommissioning it in early 2018. Verizon is expected to shut theirs down in the middle of the year. Sprint and T-Mobile have already done so.
    12-09-17 04:46 PM
    It will be a sad day when BIS is gone from USA. But these devices are still usable with workarounds for email. Not sure about text. But I have many backup phones. There's always the good ol' passport.
    12-09-17 11:50 PM