So I just bought my first Blackberry a few days ago and I can't seem to figure out how to use Wi-fi on it. I've tried googling it a number of times, but the explanations are too confusing.
    Basically, I have set up a Wi-fi Connection with my home wireless Internet. However, the Wi-fi icon is grey on my home screen and when I go into Manage Connections, there isn't a checkmark next to the Wi-fi but a white slash.
    I have absolutely no idea how to remedy this. A simple step-by-step explanation would be great!
    11-19-10 10:46 AM
    If you have a N router, disable N.... I find this helps!

also head to the WiFi forums and do some reading... a lot of helpful posts.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/
    11-19-10 10:51 AM
    If you have a N router, disable N.... I find this helps!

also head to the WiFi forums and do some reading... a lot of helpful posts.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/
    What's a N router? And how do I disable it for that matter? Sorry for the noob-ness
    11-19-10 10:53 AM
    There's no need to disable N on a router.

Go to options, under wifi check the box that says "prompt me when manual connection or log in is required.

Then go to mange connections. Ensure wifi is checked, then Setup Wifi network. At this point you have the option to scan for networks, manual enter network. either way you will need to know your passphrase (security) etc that is used by other wireless devices to connect to your network. Enter appropriate passphrase and then click connect.
    12-01-10 01:03 AM
    I use "setup wifi" all the time (for NEW networks that is). Even IF your WiFi isn't turned on it will prompt you. If you use free WiFi (i.e hotels coffee shops airports etc.) you only only have to click "scan for network" it may take time to FULLY connect (black&white Wifi symbol). This 8530 I got is my FIRST use of WiFi...I'm on VZW with a strong signal and unlimited date...so I have little use for it...I use WiFi none the less...it took me time to figure it out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 02:56 AM
    mcaples

I'm in the same boat as you, using VZW with good unlimited connection. I do find that it comes in handy when in a hotspot, talking on the phone (as you can do that and still have internet connection), send and receive BBM while on the phone. Also it is faster than the VZW Dependant upon how fast your wifi connection is. In my case if I have to download something to my phone, I always make sure it is on my home wifi connection so that it downloads much faster.
    12-01-10 12:25 PM
    I here ya on the faster downloads!! The 2 times I did a wireless update through VZW I MADE SURE as was as close to the WiFi router I use the most (still outside though; cigarettes AND its Florida LOL). Took only 1/2 an hour

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-10 12:39 PM
    Okay so I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and my wifi is still not working... theres still a white line next to it as opposed to a check mark, and it says its not connected. I've tried creating a connection multiple times as well as doing a soft reboot... anyone have any clue on how to fix this... please and thank you!!
    06-02-11 03:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD