I am thinking of purchasing the Curve 8520. My provider is T Mobile. A couple of questions:

1) Do I have to have a data plan in order to use the phone? Would I have to have a data plan to activate the phone and then cancel it? I'm not interested in internet/e-mail except for WiFi.

which leads to my next question

2) Can I use Wifi with the phone if I don't have a Blackberry data plan?

3) Is the web browser a real web browser (like you would see on the iPhone which looks just like the normal web browser).

I appreciate your help on this.
    04-18-10 12:24 PM
    I'm with Verizon, but as far as I know the answers to your questions would be...

1) Yes, you have to have a data plan. No, you can't cancel it.

2) No, you have to have a data plan to even have the phone on your line.

3) For certain websites it is and for others it isn't. You can download Bolt for you browser and it will be like what you see on your computer.
    04-18-10 12:35 PM
    I am thinking of purchasing the Curve 8520. My provider is T Mobile. A couple of questions:

1) Do I have to have a data plan in order to use the phone? Would I have to have a data plan to activate the phone and then cancel it? I'm not interested in internet/e-mail except for WiFi.

which leads to my next question

2) Can I use Wifi with the phone if I don't have a Blackberry data plan?

3) Is the web browser a real web browser (like you would see on the iPhone which looks just like the normal web browser).

I appreciate your help on this.

I have an 8520 with AT&T, I wanted to update my phone and would have to have the data plan with any smartphone if I got a phone from AT&T. I bought an unlocked AT&T 8520 off ebay. I am able to get online at home with my wireless DSL internet and at hotspots. The browser is slow, but looks like what I get on my computer. I don't have a data plan and AT&T shows my 8520 when I log in to my account. I have read that they can add the data fee if they chose, but they haven't ........yet. I keep a watch on my account and if I see the data plan added, we'll have a fight.
    04-18-10 01:17 PM
    If you own your own phone then T-Mobile will let you get an account without a data plan. Rates are lower for people that bring their own phone also, as normal rates are higher to subsidize "free" and discounted phones. Yes, you can use WiFi and T-Mobile will still send you service books for T-Zones and MMS. You can also use a prepaid SIM and the above-mentioned service books will be automatically sent to your phone when it registers on the network.
    04-18-10 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD