I just bought my blackberry curve 2 days ago and I cannot get the GPS to find satellites. Someone please tell me what I need to do? I'm new to the blackberry scene so walkthroughs appreciated. And after I get it working, any FREE gps using programs you'd suggest? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 11:22 AM
    Go to options>advanced options>GPS and change the setting from 911 only to location on. This should fix it for you.
    03-14-09 12:16 PM
    I already tried this.. It still doesn't work. I'm new to crackberry and blackberry and not the greatest first impression.

03-14-09 03:26 PM
    More information needed.

Does your carrier block the GPS?

What program are you using? (BB Maps typically will get and keep a satellite lock. Google Maps will typically get but not always keep a satellite lock.

Are you outside with a CLEAR view of the sky?

Are you waiting a sufficient amount of time to get a satellite lock? (It can take 10 - 15 minutes to get the first lock.)
    03-14-09 03:30 PM
    May be a silly question, but at least in BB Maps...did you go to the menu and click "Start GPS Navigation?"
    03-14-09 03:39 PM
    I was in a car waiting for signal for like 10 minutes. I'm using bb maps and I clicked find me

03-14-09 10:45 PM
    Try start navigation as this calls up satellites to locate you. Calm down lose the entitlement that it should work the way you think it should work.

Its a new device. It takes time. Patience.

03-14-09 10:59 PM
    I have pretty good luck with the gps on my 8330. I would suggest that you download and try it since it is free. Plus it works pretty much the same as the online one.

The gps can be a little slow to start up, but I find that google maps is a little faster with the gps than BB maps. Verify your settings and give it a try.

03-14-09 11:30 PM
    I was in a car waiting for signal for like 10 minutes. I'm using bb maps and I clicked find me
    Well, 10 minutes probably isn't long enough the first time it gets a satellite lock.

And try it OUTSIDE. With a CLEAR view of the sky. Not in a car. Not under trees. Not near tall buildings.
    03-15-09 07:40 AM
    I just bought my blackberry curve 2 days ago and I cannot get the GPS to find satellites. Someone please tell me what I need to do? I'm new to the blackberry scene so walkthroughs appreciated. And after I get it working, any FREE gps using programs you'd suggest? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

I just had this problem with GPS. Turns out that the older OS is not compatible with Telenav or Free4All. Make sure you have version 4.5.
    I updated and it works fine now.

Left alt left shift H (all at same time) to see which OS u have.
    03-17-09 01:53 PM
    not sure if this is the solution for you but it worked great for me. I use a canadian carrier and had to use qpst to enable all the gps functionality on my BB. Used to take forever to find sats if it worked at all. Now takes about 30 seconds, even inside.
    03-17-09 04:51 PM
    Hey Warno, are we Sasktel users gonna incur any extra charges or problems from this gps mod we used ?
    03-17-09 05:25 PM
    When I check for what OS I'm running is it the "Platform" or "App Version" because Platform is 3.4 and App Version is 4.5

Tell me more about this qpst please. I've tried it outside for longer times now and it's not working.
    Does the gps not work in a city at all? I don't live in a huge city, no sky scrapers.. I don't see why it wont connect in a car.

U.S. Cellular (my phone company) told me the gps is unblocked and they use it all the time and that it works great (the curve is their standard issue work phones :P)
    03-17-09 09:39 PM
    You have the correct OS running..4.5. Try this..

Tools>advanced options>gps>MENU>Refresh GPS.

Let me know if that works for you.
    03-18-09 07:23 AM
    Hey Warno, are we Sasktel users gonna incur any extra charges or problems from this gps mod we used ?

I guess I'll find out on my next bill hehe.
    But there are no extra fees I can see.

1. If you have unlimited data plan, data is being used to display the proper maps when using GPS, so can't see any charges there.

2. GPS is an independent system that runs off satellite(free), not wireless network.

3. I called SaskTel and they specifically told me they DO NOT support GPS at this time. So how can they charge me for something they don't even have.

4. sorry for hijacking this thread.
    03-18-09 03:42 PM

The 8330 does not have that option.
    03-18-09 03:43 PM
    Can someone please supply me with a link to download qpst?

03-18-09 05:15 PM
    FYI: the GPS doesn't work with all 4.5 OS's. I had the v4.5.0.127 and couldn't every get it to work. changed to Sprints v4.5.0.131 and now get satellite reception all the time.
    03-18-09 06:17 PM
    For Uscc use the Alltel settings. Check my posts as iv posted many time how to fix this.

03-18-09 06:51 PM

Hey Andy,

This is my first post here, this is something I've been frustrating with too. BB Curve 8330, carrier Alltel, OS updated to latest version 4.5.0.127 When I do go to options-advanced options-GPS there are NO refresh options there. Only GPS Data Source = Device GPS and GPS Services = Location on/off. Press BB key and all you get is: Change option, Call voice mail, save, switch application, and close.

Any Suggestions welcome.

Art
    03-19-09 02:34 AM
    I have already had to pull the battery on mine to get the gps to lock for me. It usualy works great locks prettry quick, but if it is taking that long I will pull the battery and reboot.
    03-19-09 06:18 AM
    Hey Andy,

This is my first post here, this is something I've been frustrating with too. BB Curve 8330, carrier Alltel, OS updated to latest version 4.5.0.127 When I do go to options-advanced options-GPS there are NO refresh options there. Only GPS Data Source = Device GPS and GPS Services = Location on/off. Press BB key and all you get is: Change option, Call voice mail, save, switch application, and close.

Any Suggestions welcome.

Art
    As I stated above, the 8330 does NOT have that option. It's either on or not on.
    03-19-09 08:29 AM
    That.s true, it's either on or off. There have been other posts like my earlier one stating that the .127 version has problems with using a GPS app. The only solution I found the worked was upgrading to a different version (.131). I see there is a thread now about a newer one, .138 I think.

03-19-09 09:00 AM
    Hey Andy,

Any Suggestions welcome.

Art
    Art, you have to hit the menu key (to the left of the trackball) that will give you the option to refresh. Make sure GPS location is ON too.
    03-19-09 01:51 PM
    I have a 8330 running .131 and I do not have the refresh option either.

03-19-09 02:17 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD