Hi all,

Newbie here, just pickup up a Blackberry Curve 8330 yesterday.

For GPS capabilities do i need to purchase anything to get this to work?

Ive downloaded Nav4all but when loading i get "Waiting for GPS" the No GPS Coordinates. Never connects. I have the GPS Services : Location On. Do i need something else?

I have Verizon with unlimited everything...

Thanks
    08-26-08 12:27 PM
    You can't get any so called GPS, with out VZ Nav. $10.00 a month. and FYI verizon has locked out the GPS chipset.

Check the GPS section, for more info...
    08-26-08 12:29 PM
    welcome to verizion
    08-26-08 12:31 PM
    welcome to verizion

Only you would post something like that LMAO
    08-26-08 12:33 PM
    Love pltaylor post

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    So then the lock it at a software level, isn't there a hack to get around this?
    08-26-08 12:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies.
    So then the lock it at a software level, isn't there a hack to get around this?

Lol no it's a long long story....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

Same applies to the 8330...

Lot's of good info in there.
    08-26-08 12:54 PM
    The only work around is to buy a bluetooth GPS puck and use that instead of the internal GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 12:55 PM
    thanks again, well good thing its a company phone.
    Ok, so a 1 time fee for a gps puck.

I assume my GPS still works in compliance with wireless E911, which is required by law.

So there only blocking the use of a 3rd party application because they provide navigation service? wow money hungry?
    08-26-08 01:00 PM
    yep, most companies chqarge $10.00 but some do not. and they also allow other GPS app's....

So let me ask you this, you totally new to VZW.. and where you told about GPS when you got the phone....?
    08-26-08 01:05 PM
    I've been with Verizon for about 6 years, nothing fancy just your basic Voice Share plan (2 phones) never had any issues, e.g. Billing or Service.

I'm going to be doing a lot more business traveling in the Northeast so rather than carrying my laptop i thought it would be nice to have something like this.

I was told by the sales rep at my local Verizon store that this had built in GPS no add-on needed. I didn't even realize i needed to load another application until i found this site. I don't know if complaining will help, the build in GPS wasn't a lie but i do need something additional for this to work for me... Then again this was a nice option but not a selling point for me.

In your opinion will they ever remove this block or will someone be able to create a hack to remove this?
    Last edited by draftwho2008; 08-26-08 at 01:29 PM.
    08-26-08 01:23 PM
    hey sorry for the late reply, thanks for the info, just wasn't sure if you heard of the VZ nav software being with other phones and such.... yeah they tell you about the GPS and there are allot of complaints about it, including mine filed.

Not sure if they ever will, I know there are allot of threads talking about allot of vzw gps stuff.......
    08-26-08 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD