I've been thinking about buying silver passport. I really like the looks of this phone but I am not sure if I should invest in another BB10 device. My feeling is that BB10 is going in PlayBook direction. I do not want want to invest $650 of my money into a phone that will have dead OS in few months. I am wondering if Passport will be upgradable to Android once it is released. I assume that photos of Passport running Android were true and I assume it would be same hardware.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    08-13-15 06:38 AM
    One would think it would be obvious than any Android O/S based BBRY device will be new and not an upgrade of any current existing device(s) running BB10. There is a huge difference in emulation for Android runtime and Android OS itself.
    Having said that, your decision to purchase a new device should be more in line with your current needs and not what is expected to come as we are all painfully aware any such transition will come with it's own growth pains.
    08-13-15 06:52 AM
    One would think it would be obvious than any Android O/S based BBRY device will be new and not an upgrade of any current existing device(s) running BB10. There is a huge difference in emulation for Android runtime and Android OS itself.
    Having said that, your decision to purchase a new device should be more in line with your current needs and not what is expected to come as we are all painfully aware any such transition will come with it's own growth pains.
    I see your point but doesn't many android phones have the same CPU and GPU. I mean blackberry does not have its own specialized CPU like Apple. It is the same CPU found on many android devices. So it should be possible to run android on Passport. We have seen leaked video of Passport running Android. Do you think it is different hardware than currently available passport phones?

08-13-15 08:05 AM
    I've been thinking about buying silver passport. I really like the looks of this phone but I am not sure if I should invest in another BB10 device. My feeling is that BB10 is going in PlayBook direction. I do not want want to invest $650 of my money into a phone that will have dead OS in few months. I am wondering if Passport will be upgradable to Android once it is released. I assume that photos of Passport running Android were true and I assume it would be same hardware.

This is the problem with BB,just buy the phone and don't worry about it, but people are ,like you, thinking that BB are not going to make phones anymore.lol
    08-13-15 08:24 AM
    At this point I would wait to see what Chen is going to do with the Slider. If it is an android device I would expect the price of Passports to drop substantially as the market assumes BB10 is on the way out.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:01 AM
    Yes I asked Chen he said 'all BlackBerry phones, even the 8930 will get the android lollipop upgrade with BlackBerry suite' then he started laughing I dunno why..
    08-13-15 09:40 AM
    I see your point but doesn't many android phones have the same CPU and GPU. I mean blackberry does not have its own specialized CPU like Apple. It is the same CPU found on many android devices. So it should be possible to run android on Passport. We have seen leaked video of Passport running Android. Do you think it is different hardware than currently available passport phones?
    Your fundamentals are incorrect.
    Apple, Dell, HP etc. use Intel CPU's for their core, what makes things different is in the ROMs as well other circuitry designs and implementations that provide their unique operations.
    The same is true that while a BBRY device is unique, the core CPU used is not, it's generic.
    What makes a device specific is in the core ROM and electronics which each OS is then built to run or take advantage of.

Bottom line is simply to purchase what you need to accomplish your day to day. What is to happen will in time to come.
    08-13-15 10:57 AM
    If BlackBerry is implementing a virtualized platform (e.g. Hypervisor) then both BB10 and Android would be running as instances. This is not so much a question of CPU/GPU horsepower but RAM. Since the Passport has 3 GB of RAM I'm assuming it will get the upgrade. Other 2GB devices might also but it might be painful. Expect the slider to have 4GB which would provide smoother performance.

This is all pure speculation, mind...

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 11:46 AM