Hi everyone,
    I currently have the 1st generation iPhone and my contract is up at the end of the month. I'm very interested in switching over to a blackberry device and just have a couple of questions for you:

1) I have a Mac. I have no read that many good things about either the free Pocketmac or the paid MissingSync. Will I be loosing features if I don't have Windows? I think I mostly need the ability to sync contacts and calendars. Syncing movies, music, and photos is not that important to me, but it would be nice if this were possible.

2) Both Verizon and AT&T work well in my area. Any opinion on which carrier provides better service? I know that Verizon by default disables some features that natively come with the BB, but does their faster/more reliable 3G network make up for this?

3) I am in the medical field and know that Epocrates (drug dosing application) is available, but does anyone know if there are any medical calculator programs available?

Thanks everyone in advance.
    07-11-09 09:48 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

I am in the medical field and know that Epocrates (drug dosing application) is available ...
    The first generation of consumer BlackBerry were produced with 64 Mb of memory. After the system software, there is only a limited amount of free space available.

The second generation, beginning with Bold and Storm have double that memory, exactly the same as the iPhone. Some of the more recient examples have doubled the memory again to 256 Mb.

More memory is alwasy better.
    07-11-09 10:00 AM
    I just switched over from an iPhone, and I also have a Mac. I love my BB and I won't be going back to an iPhone, but I recognize that I will be losing seamless Mac syncing. It simply isn't going to happen until RIM releases a Mac desktop manager. That said, I was able to get my contacts over pretty easily using a PC, and Pocket Mac did get my calendars across on the first sync, I'm just not going to try to get 2-way syncing going.
    07-11-09 10:05 AM
    I have never enjoyed owning a phone as much as this Storm (it's my first BB). I've got a friend with an iPhone, that I've played with much, and although it has some things I liked, I could never trade it for my BB.

In regards to the mac issue, you can look at this: BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac . BB was made to interface with Windows. There is no doubt that it will be easier to upgrade, sync and backup on a Windows PC, but that doesn't mean it can't work on a Mac. I would spend a little time searching and conversing with other Mac users to see what they use and what they do. You also have a number of internet based syncing options, like google and yahoo (for syncing calendars and contacts).

Throughout the US, my personal opinion is that you will find no better service than Verizon. Check out this site to see what carriers have better service in your area: Cell Phone Carriers - Cell Phone Service and Tower Search

I don't know anything about the medical programs, but with all the doctors I see carrying BB's, I would think that you should be able to find what you need.

Finally, I listen to both music and audio books on my Storm. It works perfectly, though I can't speak to the syncing from a Mac. I would guess that PocketMac lets you do that.
    Last edited by grey; 07-11-09 at 10:39 AM.
    07-11-09 10:36 AM
    Hi everyone,
    3) I am in the medical field and know that Epocrates (drug dosing application) is available, but does anyone know if there are any medical calculator programs available?

Thanks everyone in advance.
    Epocrates has its own medical calculators built in. Are you wanting a program just for that?
    07-11-09 10:44 AM
    Well for me, Epocrates is a must have. I know it comes with its own medical calculator built into it, but I don't find it to be as good as others. It's not as easy to use and doesn't have a many formulas. So yeah, I was just wondering if there are other calculators available.

Any opinions on the Verizon vs AT&T question?
    07-11-09 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD