Research In Motion (RIMM) has had an incredibly difficult time getting QNX-based devices to work with the company�s existing systems. The reason the BlackBerry PlayBook shipped without email and BlackBerry Messenger, among the other missing items, is because a QNX device won�t work on the company�s NOC like the older java-based devices. While email finally came to the PlayBook, the email app is a local client that doesn�t use RIM�s BIS or BES back-end. It will sync with an Exchange server directly and download mail from Gmail, but it is all done on the device and not through RIM�s famous back-end network like every BlackBerry before it. This will continue with BlackBerry 10, as we have reported in the past.

We received word from a trusted source that RIM will be stopping development on the current BlackBerry Enterprise Server platform. We were told RIM plans to end development with version 5.0.3 � and only security patches will be issued after that � but RIM has publicly announced at version 5.0.4. Once that version is released, or soon after, RIM�s existing BlackBerry Enterprise Servers will not receive further updates. And here is where things get tricky�
    BlackBerry Enterprise Server development stopped

The tricky thing mentioned in the link is that newer BES will not support BB7 or older devices - obviously needs to be taken with a pinch given the source but interesting development if true.
    08-21-12 03:52 PM
    Here is RIM's comment on the story.

"RIM does not normally comment on rumours and speculation. As we announced at BlackBerry World, BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 will be available later this year and we will continue to maintain BlackBerry Enterprise Server well into the future. Research In Motion is a leader in enterprise mobile solutions and we are committed to continuing to innovate solutions that fulfill our customers’ requirements."
    08-21-12 03:55 PM
    I am calling it BGR BS
    recompile and bigbmc26 like this.
    08-21-12 03:55 PM
    Here is RIM's comment on the story.

"RIM does not normally comment on rumours and speculation. As we announced at BlackBerry World, BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 will be available later this year and we will continue to maintain BlackBerry Enterprise Server well into the future. Research In Motion is a leader in enterprise mobile solutions and we are committed to continuing to innovate solutions that fulfill our customers� requirements."
    If that is all they said - that seems to be what we call a non-denial denial which makes my spider-sense tingle.
    kevinnugent and Blacklatino like this.
    08-21-12 03:58 PM
    GGRRR I hate that the link didn't tell me it was BGR first before I clicked on it

It has been said the reason for Mobile fusion was to support BB10 moving forward, and that BES was not able to be updated because of the legacy code within it,
    it just wasn't worth trying to make it happen when they can build from scratch.

Get the most out of BlackBerry Mobile Fusion

To manage BlackBerry smartphones with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, BlackBerry Enterprise Sever v5.0.3 or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express v5.0.3 is required. Ensure your organization is taking advantage of the full capabilities of BlackBerry Mobile Fusion by upgrading your BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express to v5.0.3. Purchase the BlackBerry Enterprise Server v5 Upgrade and Install package to get the software upgrade key and access to an expert who'll work with you to install, deploy and manage the upgrade process.
    It actively says on the Mobile fusion site that you need BES to manage BlackBerry devices and that Mobile fusion ties into BES.

The only potential news of this is that RIM isn't going to continue to advance BES, but that does seem odd since BB7 still has 3 or so years of support needed, and maybe longer in countries like South Africa and India.

Hopefully RIM will be advancing mobile fusion to the point it can be better than BES for device control over BlackBerry's and other platforms.
    08-21-12 04:00 PM
    Ouch..very ouch.

If that is all they said - that seems to be what we call a non-denial denial which makes my spider-sense tingle.
    That was my first reaction as well
    Blacklatino and reeneebob like this.
    08-21-12 04:01 PM
    Has RIM's corporate sales force been out meeting with customers who paid for BES and support about the requirements for Mobile Fusion and any additional costs?
    08-21-12 04:02 PM
    Interestingly - following the reaction of more technical people on twitter, they seem to be saying that this is actually old news and that they are surprised that more people haven't picked up on this before.

For example:

For readers of my @pcpro column this won't be news

Although I've seen very little reporting (apart from a few of us!) of "Current BES is already pretty much dead"

And some of my clients look gobsmacked when I explain this. Even to people that really should be up on these things.

I suspect that the number of writers that understand the RIM infrastructure is really quite small. Most only really see BIS.

Even without briefings, PB1 should have made it obvious to everyone that X and BES don't play.
    In response to this another journalist notes that:

I was originally briefed on the change off the record in December when I had a first hands-on with PB 2.0.
    Last edited by cgk; 08-21-12 at 04:08 PM.
    08-21-12 04:04 PM
    I can't comment on the validity of their response. I only included it because BGR did. I have done very little speculating on who needs to do what for BB10 to survive/succeed. I'm just waiting to give er a test drive.
    louzer and bungaboy like this.
    08-21-12 04:05 PM
    Why say anymore and have people still say they are lying and getting defensive about it. I doubt BES will stop being supported. With proper coding anything is possible. Plus it's a server any type of OS can access a server just need she right addresses and permissions
    08-21-12 04:08 PM
    Interestingly - following the reaction of more technical people on twitter, they seem to be saying that this is actually old news and that they are surprised that more people haven't picked up on this before.

For example:
    It is VERY old news, it is news that came out under the old administration when they explained why there was no PIM on the PlayBook, and what the steps were to bring PIM to the PlayBook.

They also explained why Mobile fusion needed to be created and they couldn't just modify BES due to the legacy code and the hard coded requirements of a single pin per user account
    08-21-12 04:09 PM
    I think the problem with this if it's true is that companies supporting a mix of BB10 and OS7 devices will need to manage 2 servers.
    08-21-12 04:13 PM
    I don't remember RIM ever stating that BES was dead, but they were out since last year extolling MDM and their solution would usher in a new era...blah blah blah.

@NJ - Reps did visit us in February (this year), I only hung around long enough to grab some BB swag....so not sure what was said to our IT guys.
    08-21-12 04:14 PM
    I think the problem with this if it's true is that companies supporting a mix of BB10 and OS7 devices will need to manage 2 servers.

It is true, and they'll be managing 3 servers.
    Exchange
    BES
    Mobile Fusion

but as company's deploy BB10 devices across the board they'll drop the need for BES in theory
    08-21-12 04:15 PM
    As customers move to ActiveSync devices, that will certainly reduce the need for BES, in theory. Also customers may already have MDM servers in place today and push back from another MDM.

@Oniberry - I think our reps were dismissed. Haven't heard from them in a few months.
    08-21-12 04:18 PM
    I can't imagine most SMEs are going to want to double up on servers to support both legacy BBs and new BB10 phones. I haven't explored Mobile Fusion much but unless it's a completely transparent, effortless system to implement over top of an existing BES and allows someone to support BB7, BB10, and iOS/Android devices I can't see BB10 getting much of a foothold in that critical market.

I guess the other option is to just go with Good and Exchange and make BB10 users live with ActiveSync like everyone else.
    08-21-12 04:20 PM
    Exchange
    BES
    Mobile Fusion

but as company's deploy BB10 devices across the board they'll drop the need for BES in theory
    If that's the case rim needs to implement a feature into mobile fusion that integrates it all into one, similar to how they integrate all their messaging into one app rather then all different apps. Might be more confusing but as an IT guy its your job to do the work others are to lazy to learn.
    08-21-12 04:22 PM
    Old news, rehashed and misconstrued. Yup!
    08-21-12 04:23 PM
    Exchange
    BES
    Mobile Fusion

Yeah, seems straight forward to me. They'll probably provide a year of maintenance, and then in abother two years everyone will be off legacy code and legacy hardware so it will be irrelevant.
    08-21-12 04:23 PM
    Exchange
    BES
    Mobile Fusion

Sorry to say, actually four:
    Exchange
    BES
    Mobile Fusion
    Device Manager (MANDATORY separate server)
    08-21-12 04:28 PM
    I can't imagine most SMEs are going to want to double up on servers to support both legacy BBs and new BB10 phones. I haven't explored Mobile Fusion much but unless it's a completely transparent, effortless system to implement over top of an existing BES and allows someone to support BB7, BB10, and iOS/Android devices I can't see BB10 getting much of a foothold in that critical market.

I guess the other option is to just go with Good and Exchange and make BB10 users live with ActiveSync like everyone else.
    Wow its incredible how everyone there's a little stumble for RIM whencthey can't do stuff the way the used to because of an entirely new platform or having a different integration of servers people say that no one will go for it. With logic like that RIM shouldn't bother trying and should close the doors right now

True is with byod there's even more work for IT departments that have to do wipes on employees devices on a regular basis and would require checks on plan usages. Integrating BES and fusion is still easier for them then a byod and having bills be submitted on a monthly basis from every employee
    08-21-12 04:29 PM
    If that's the case rim needs to implement a feature into mobile fusion that integrates it all into one, similar to how they integrate all their messaging into one app rather then all different apps. Might be more confusing but as an IT guy its your job to do the work others are to lazy to learn.
    LOLWUT? Those 2 things are not even remotely comparable.
    08-21-12 04:30 PM
    LOLWUT? Those 2 things are not even remotely comparable.
    No kidding but it was just an example of how they have things integrated into one feature. I wasn't suggesting they were the same or even close to it
    08-21-12 04:34 PM

The SME's just don't support legacy BB's then they support BB10, Android, iOS using ActiveSync/MF rather than ActiveSync Good Technologies.

Mobile Fusion is a good technology's competitor and add on for BES, it isn't really a BES replacement, the transition time for Enterprises will be how long it takes them to deploy BB10 across their infrastructure, there is incentive to deploy it quickly and retire their BES.

From those I've spoken with that RUN BES and Good Technologies, MobileFusion is missing a few parts still to replace Good Technologies, but they are eager for the chance to adopt Mobile Fusion and replace Good Technologies because Mobile fusion has cheaper Cals and hopefully will come with the support they have come to appreciate with BES
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-21-12 04:44 PM
    I am hearing the same thing about Mobile Fusion. I really doubt good will bother with BB10 so it's a good thing Mobile Fusion can handle it all!
    08-21-12 04:56 PM
155 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD