Now ‘To whom it may concern’, I have been an ardent user and supporter of Blackberry and its products since a long time.
    The Company has been on a somewhat shaky path since the last couple of years, but the overall apprehension did not stop me from migrating to the Blackberry 10.
    Call it loyalty, call it foolishness or call it foolish loyalty.
    So, moving on from the mandatory disclaimers and disclosures, here is my take on Blackberry’s relevance in the tech world.

We live in an era, where lines of code get converted into billions of dollars merely on the basis of their Free user base, which is their only asset, and is definitely not a stable asset. What FB and Twitter did to the likes of Orkut and Yahoo, someone someday will do this to them. The never ending need for something new in the social space makes the existence even tougher.
    The exorbitant valuation that these companies carry, have never and will never make sense to me, and to any fundamental investor for that matter.

As far as Blackberry is concerned, where at its peak it was worth approximately $80 Billing, they have made some serious mistakes in the recent past, and have been shredded down to $5 Billion.

If we base this argument purely on the basis of a simple economic principle of Demand and Supply, I strongly believe that the demand of Security will outlive the Demand of social connectivity in the future.
    Blackberry breaths ‘Security’ in and out each day it exists. Its core asset is secured network and infrastructure offering and we are at a tipping point where security is going to be the next big thing.

Today, out of the 10 things that matter to me, social media takes 1st and 2nd priority and security is probably at 7th or 8th, but the reversal of this trend is inevitable and Blackberry should capitalize on this trend.

I also see Blackberry re-engineering itself by going back to its roots, the Enterprise market, but the consumer game for it isn’t over yet.

Shooting one bird at a time is definitely the way forward, because enterprise to consumer is a safer route than vice versa or even trying to regain both at the same time.
    Apple started with Consumer market and till today hasn’t made sufficient inroads into the enterprise world, where as Blackberry started from enterprise market and made sufficient inroads into the consumer space.

So for Blackberry it’s like been there, done that with this approach, and I think this is what John Chen wants to follow.
    Last edited by sahil jain07; 01-23-14 at 07:19 AM.
    01-23-14 05:38 AM
    Hi Sahil and welcome to the CrackBerry and Mobile Nation communities !
    ... Full circle
    01-23-14 06:57 AM
    I also see Blackberry re-engineering itself by going back to its roots, the Enterprise market, but the consumer game for it isn�t over yet.

Shooting one bird at a time is definitely the way forward, because enterprise to consumer is a safer route than vice versa or even trying to regain both at the same time.
    Apple started with Consumer market and till today hasn�t made sufficient inroads into the enterprise world, where as Blackberry started from enterprise market and made sufficient inroads into the consumer space.
    You are just forgetting the word "consumerization". Enterprises does not push anything to the consumers, but the consumers has HUGE influence today on what and how.

Just one example: I had customer using legacy BB. About 1-2 years ago I visited them for a meeting. They had about 400 company issued BlackBerries and the told me C-level was allowed to be issued iPhones. They had issued about 50 iPhones but the Exchange admin suddently entered the room and told us he just discovered about 2.300 iPhones connected to the Exchange Server.

(Let's not start the discussion about security and how they don't control what devices are allowed to connect)

I have yet to learn about a single company finding just a few percent BB10 devices connected to their Exchange Server by the users.

BlackBerry will have a god chance in the Enterprise where security and productivity is key. Productivity however is limited to the core features of BB10 or the few 3. part apps. Sideloading is *NOT* an option in an Enterprise and futhermore it should be noticed that Android apps does NOT install in the Work partition (created when activated against BES 10 and providing direct LAN access just like the legacy BB did).
    01-23-14 07:29 AM