I work in finance/banking. No company phones, everyone uses their personal devices. We are constantly on them (at least I am), evenings and weekends, calls, company emails, texts, etc. Kind of expected to be because that's when a lot of business happens.

Yesterday we were told we had to sign and acknowledge a new policy. Not only that we are not to talk/email/text anything businesses related while driving (yeah right), but...

They are saying we have to give permission to the bank to remotely wipe our PERSONAL devices at any time and for any reason, which would include personal data, contacts, photos, videos, etc.

That's some BS, and it sounds like a lot of people are not cool with it. The obvious answer is BlackBerry Balance. But how arrogant can a business be trying to demand such a thing from their employees?

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-30-14 04:48 PM
    I'd certainly be unhappy with that. Yes, Balance seems to be a likely solution. Has anyone suggested this to the company?
    theRock1975, shaleem and sk8er_tor like this.
    08-30-14 04:55 PM
    That's your company policy. You have to examine in details to see if it violate some sort of privacy regulation. No company shall have the right to intrude on the privacy of it's employee. The burden shall lies with the company to provide alternative whereby the two, company versus privacy of employees shall not cross path. I'm just base on OP general description of the imposed policy.

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    08-30-14 04:57 PM
    Well that is what BYOD means ,their policy trumps your rights to privacy even with your personal hardware . They can do it as they "subsidized " your monthly use. We issue corporate devices yet with BlackBerry 10 we wipe only the work space when necessary. The employee can use his personal. side as he/she wishes. We have no wish to access it either.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:03 PM
    Well that is what BYOD means ,their policy trumps your rights to privacy even with your personal hardware . They can do it as they "subsidized " your monthly use. We issue corporate devices yet with BlackBerry 10 we wipe only the work space when necessary. The employee can use his personal. side as he/she wishes. We have no wish to access it either.

Posted via CB10
    That's had me thinking. One, is BYOD mandatory in some company? If so were employees given the option of company issue devices? Regardless of the company not wishing to invade employees privacy, it's still not legal that they have access to it. Personally if I were to given an option, I rather opt out of BYOD and carry two phones if BlackBerry Balance is not the option.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:30 PM
    That's crazy.

Sent from my N5
    08-30-14 05:38 PM
    That's had me thinking. One, is BYOD mandatory in some company? If so were employees given the option of company issue devices? Regardless of the company not wishing to invade employees privacy, it's still not legal that they have access to it. Personally if I were to given an option, I rather opt out of BYOD and carry two phones if BlackBerry Balance is not the option.

Posted via CB10
    In some companies its mandatory, they tell you up front the hardware is yours but they also tell you all software and contents is theirs and that they may wipe the device. You run the risk of losing your personal info. I would advise an employee who experiences this ,to inform their employer that they would prefer to get a company issued device or alternatively, recommend that they get a second device for personal use.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 05:41 PM
    In some companies its mandatory, they tell you up front the hardware is yours but they also tell you all software and contents is theirs and that they may wipe the device. You run the risk of losing your personal info. I would advise an employee who experiences this ,to inform their employer that they would prefer to get a company issued device or alternatively, recommend that they get a second device for personal use.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. I find it hard to believe it is legal to wipe someone else's personal data on their phone. I'm sure it would be a battle in court.

Q10, N5, N10.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-30-14 05:48 PM
    Absolutely. I find it hard to believe it is legal to wipe someone else's personal data on their phone. I'm sure it would be a battle in court.

Q10, N5, N10.
    They kind of got you by the short and curly when you sign on the dotted line. Its like you need the job, it's their policy so what am I going to do? Their argument will be is that they are paying as well

Posted via CB10
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    08-30-14 06:00 PM
    They kind of got you by the short and curly when you sign on the dotted line. Its like you need the job, it's their policy so what am I going to do? Their argument will be is that they are paying as well

Posted via CB10
    Well, there is an option.

Take company email off my phone. Take my cell number off business cards. If you or customers need her contact me, feel free to do so between 8-5 M-F, and if I'm at my desk, I'll answer.

Posted via CB10
    lift and theRock1975 like this.
    08-30-14 06:19 PM
    Typical BYOD policy. They need to have some type of control. I don't like those kinds of things myself but they are a necessary evil.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-30-14 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh I'm sure they make you sign something. But would it hold up in court? It's almost like blackmail. Sign this or you don't get the job. Not right.

Q10, N5, N10.
    08-30-14 06:39 PM
    Oh I'm sure they make you sign something. But would it hold up in court? It's almost like blackmail. Sign this or you don't get the job. Not right.

Q10, N5, N10.
    It will be messy. To avoid that, ask them your options, if BYOD is their policy just get another device for private communication. Its simpler.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and bambinoitaliano like this.
    08-30-14 06:47 PM
    Well, there is an option.

Take company email off my phone. Take my cell number off business cards. If you or customers need her contact me, feel free to do so between 8-5 M-F, and if I'm at my desk, I'll answer.

Posted via CB10
    Not really plausible, they will just hand you a pink slip. Its far easier to get another " personal " device. It defeats BYOD but what are you gonna do? Unless you have a BlackBerry with Balance.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:49 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even with BlackBerry Balance if they BES admin remotely wipes your device, it wipes you're whole device and not just the "Work" side (since this division is strictly virtual and all info is stored on the same device regardless of which side you're on). Balance just facilitates added security by preventing the user from sending/copying/etc "Work" side information on the "Personal" side. This virtual division helps users maintain a higher level of security (like the difference of having both personal and work related papers mixed together on a desk or having the papers divided into separate boxes on the desk).

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 06:53 PM

Q10, N5, N10.
    Depends on the situation. I believe the burden is on the company. If for whatever reason, personal info was access through company's server as a result of an employee being indicted for criminal investigation, it almost parallel to police searching without warrant and therefore it's not admissible. On top of that the said employee might allow to file a civil lawsuit against the company for violating his/her privacy and knowingly providing personal information without permission. Certainly, this is again a general interpretation of common sense in regards to law. A lot of things can change depending on the enormity of the individual case.
    pbeasley likes this.
    08-30-14 07:04 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even with BlackBerry Balance if they BES admin remotely wipes your device, it wipes you're whole device and not just the "Work" side (since this division is strictly virtual and all info is stored on the same device regardless of which side you're on). Balance just facilitates added security by preventing the user from sending/copying/etc "Work" side information on the "Personal" side. This virtual division helps users maintain a higher level of security (like the difference of having both personal and work related papers mixed together on a desk or having the papers divided into separate boxes on the desk).

Posted via CB10
    It can be set up to wipe just the work side, they can also implement policy that won't allow you to "copy " files in the personal space. Force encryption of your personal side and prevent private apps from accessing work side.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think one of the selling points on a BlackBerry Balance youtube video was that if an employee leaves, you can just delete the "work" side.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 07:58 PM
    I think one of the selling points on a BlackBerry Balance youtube video was that if an employee leaves, you can just delete the "work" side.

Posted via CB10
    We do just that wipe the work side and more often than not the employee keeps the device.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 08:02 PM
    I see; that's pretty awesome that BES can do that and keep personal intact. Thank you for the clarification.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:16 PM
    Thanks crackbrry fan for the informative posts. I see no issues with that new policy. You are using the device to do sensitive work with peoples personal information. If the company suspects your device to be hijacked or has malware or something, then wiping it to prevent identity theft is the right thing to do. Peoples private information and the Companies private information trumps your personal phone.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    08-30-14 10:41 PM
    I work for a bank. We have corporate issued BB10 and BYOD. For regulated employees, no BlackBerry Balance, but it's totally locked down. HDMI out doesn't work, no WiFi, etc etc. For unregulated employees, we have BlackBerry Balance. But the SD card is considered the work side, so the moment you stick an SD card in the device, it will encrypt it.

As for BYOD, only BlackBerry legacy, 10s, and iPhones allowed. For legacy, and iPhones, they have the right to fully wipe the device, and you must sign a form agreeing to that. The 10s have Balance.

Here's the kicker, the bank doesn't pay a single dine towards your device. Needless to say, we all use corporate issued BB10. I don't know anyone using the BYOD...it's a total failure.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1130 /Telus
    Last edited by pgg101; 08-31-14 at 10:13 AM.
    shaleem, theRock1975 and web99 like this.
    08-30-14 10:56 PM
    This is why I have work phones and a personal phone.

Sure I have to carry three devices but, nobody intrudes on my privacy.

It's not about my convenience, but it's about privacy and security. Both for myself and my work.

BYOD has inherent risks and companies that practice it open themselves up to problems.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem, bambinoitaliano and lift like this.
    08-31-14 12:10 AM
    Typical BYOD policy. They need to have some type of control. I don't like those kinds of things myself but they are a necessary evil.

Posted via CB10
    I can't agree : BYOD is not and cannot be mandatory. My private Q10 is private property. I use it for work also. But if anyone from the company try and get any right on it, that will just put an end to it. I can't accept private property violation.

If the company wants one to have a phone, they shall provide it. If by contract I had to chose and buy the phone I use at work, then it wouldn't be private anymore... and it wouldn't be BYOD either, since it wouldn't really be "mine".

So yes, you will answer that the NSA already is there... but that's another story ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 01:17 AM
    Thanks crackbrry fan for the informative posts. I see no issues with that new policy. You are using the device to do sensitive work with peoples personal information. If the company suspects your device to be hijacked or has malware or something, then wiping it to prevent identity theft is the right thing to do. Peoples private information and the Companies private information trumps your personal phone.
    They are trying to hijack my personal property. Taking advantage of my personal device. Instead of "thanks for using your personal equipment to carry out work responsibilities", my data sensitive personal and private data is at risk.

This is all part of an upcoming security audit. Yes, they need to ensure that the data is protected, but this is a terrible way of doing it.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 09:29 AM
48 12