My office of 30+ people have been put on notice since cross-platform BBM was announced a few months back. Everyone is pretty excited, ready to dump WhatsApp.

My perspective is this: Regardless of what platform you're on now, the majority of users (depending on current age) all started out with a BlackBerry or had one at one point and there's no denying that BBM was the BEST messaging experience. It's hard to explain, I know there are a boat load of messaging apps now that do a ton of stuff but BBM was, is and will be reliable, fast and fun!

Once they add channels, it will be like throwing fuel on a fire!!! But they gotta be quick with those updates.
    It would be really interesting to know what percentage of current smartphone users have used BBM before. I would guess it is much lower than many people here think. For 2012 and 2013, Gartner is projecting 1.3 billion Android sales Android vs. Apple vs. Windows: Forecast shows shift for PCs, tablets, devices - GeekWire. If for example just half of those people have never used a BlackBerry, which I think is quite possible, that would be 650 million right there that have never used BBM. Isn't that more devices than BlackBerry has sold in the companies history? And that's just Android for 2012 and 2013. Anyway, it would be interesting to know because this stat could have an effect how many people download BBM.
    09-20-13 06:28 PM
    It's a little depressing having to say this over and over but BlackBerry Messenger over BIS, or rather when using the default PIN key (not over BES with a non default key used), is effectively not encrypted (it is encrypted to a key common to every blackberry device in the world).
    +10000

Just because it is a BlackBerry branded service does not mean it is ultra secure. BES is where it's at.
    09-20-13 06:32 PM
    +10000

Just because it is a BlackBerry branded service does not mean it is ultra secure. BES is where it's at.
    Even BES has been exploited, but it at least appears to be "hard" for the NSA to do so. PIN messages even with BES are less safe than most BES communications as the pin key is just a shared secret between all the devices in the organization. If the server is compromised or any of the devices are, it's vaguely plausible that the key could be recovered. If the key is ever recovered at any time in the future, the recorded encrypted messages could be decrypted.
    09-20-13 06:40 PM
    Even BES has been exploited, but it at least appears to be "hard" for the NSA to do so. PIN messages even with BES are less safe than most BES communications as the pin key is just a shared secret between all the devices in the organization. If the server is compromised or any of the devices are, it's vaguely plausible that the key could be recovered. If the key is ever recovered at any time in the future, the recorded encrypted messages could be decrypted.
    Exactly. I'm just comparing BES to BIS, and BIS is nothing in terms of security compared to BES.
    09-20-13 06:55 PM
    Yep 36m people are definitely a failure.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 02:35 PM
    The launch was a failure, but not the kind that was expected here. Bb failed to deliver to android users and should have predicted that the apk would be leaked(it happens all the time, they should have expected it).

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
    09-21-13 03:20 PM
    Myself, I can't wait until it hits IOS tomorrow so I can't reconnect with my PGA Tour group.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    09-21-13 03:58 PM
    Myself, I can't wait until it hits IOS tomorrow so I can't reconnect with my PGA Tour group.

Sent using the CB app from my iPhone 5
    Plus one buddy! Hopefully it doesn't get delayed as well

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-21-13 04:01 PM
    Well, the launching event itself is a failure... no matter what the cause it is still failure... LOL

Sent via Tapatalk 2
    09-21-13 10:33 PM
    But hey. More than one million downloads off of an unreleased app. That's pretty impressive.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-21-13 10:39 PM
    OP was right
    His opinion and analysis should be recognized.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-23-13 08:40 AM
    Within the enterprise, both IM and email may be at the same speed. But in the world of the Internet email may as well be snail mail, when compared to the speed of BBM.

I can't tell you the number of times that someone has sent me a BBM asking my opinion on something they emailed. I have to pause and let it sink in. Then we can both laugh. Email will come along eventually.

BBM is instantaneous.

Posted via CB10
    so tell me how long it took the email to come. i assume is 5-10min if someone have to BBM you afterward since you haven't replied yet. only thing i can tell you is whatever email server you guys are using maybe its time to switch if it happens all the time. i dont think much ppl can share the same experience with you, but i bet some ppl in CB will come out and say it happens all the time.
    09-23-13 09:13 AM
    OP was right
    His opinion and analysis should be recognized.
    No op was not right or wrong because BBM4ALL hasn't launched yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 01:46 PM
    Down here in SoCal/the OC, no one cares.
    Don't call it "the" OC
    09-23-13 02:13 PM
    Don't call it "the" OC
    But, that's what we call it. I'm in Seal Beach, btw.
    09-23-13 02:21 PM
    But, that's what we call it. I'm in Seal Beach, btw.
    No, that's not what "we" call it.. I was born and raised and live in OC and nobody put "the" on the front until the TV show came out.
    09-23-13 02:28 PM
    No, that's not what "we" call it.. I was born and raised and live in OC and nobody put "the" on the front until the TV show came out.
    TRUE! But, the neighbors still use "the".
    09-23-13 02:36 PM
367 ... 131415