This is ridiculous!

The Most Ridiculous Law of 2013 (So Far): It Is Now a Crime to Unlock Your Smartphone - Derek Khanna - The Atlantic
    Last edited by BergerKing; 01-24-14 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Edited language.
    01-27-13 11:56 AM
    Only if you buy a subsidized phone and only during the contract. Buy a phone outright and this doesn't apply.
    austriker likes this.
    01-27-13 12:27 PM
    There are a couple of threads about this already, and everyone shares your sentiment.
    axllebeer likes this.
    01-27-13 12:30 PM
    Only if you buy a subsidized phone and only during the contract. Buy a phone outright and this doesn't apply.
    ...Or if the phone is still an exclusive (depends on carrier, but AT&T does this)
    01-27-13 01:04 PM
    Well, technically there's no law forcing a carrier to fork over the unlock code, certainly not for free.
    01-27-13 01:11 PM
    I would unlock it anyways. What are they going to do? Throw you in jail for a year plus. I highly doubt it.
    01-27-13 01:11 PM
    Meh, this has been coming for a year.
    01-27-13 01:13 PM
    Ill still unlock and take my chances lol. No one will enforce this stupid law.
    01-27-13 02:02 PM
    I would unlock it anyways. What are they going to do? Throw you in jail for a year plus. I highly doubt it.
    From Phonearena,

At most, you could face a $2,500 fine if you unlock your handset merely to use another carrier...If you unlock phones for profit because you're, say, a cellphone reseller, then...you could face a half a million dollars in fines and some prison time.
    01-27-13 02:04 PM
    Just move to Canada!

Crime to unlock cell phone-canadian-flag.jpg
    Last edited by DisturbedRocks31; 01-27-13 at 02:24 PM.
    01-27-13 02:05 PM
    At most, you could face a $2,500 fine if you unlock your handset merely to use another carrier...If you unlock phones for profit because you're, say, a cellphone reseller, then...you could face a half a million dollars in fines and some prison time.
    Brings a whole new meaning to 'jailbreaking' a phone
    raino and jakie55 like this.
    01-27-13 02:12 PM
    There are a couple of threads about this already, and everyone shares your sentiment.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...y-26th-764182/
    01-27-13 02:21 PM
    Glad DC is so focused on the big issues.
    01-27-13 06:43 PM
    Just move to Canada!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canadian-Flag.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	132722
    I am sure this will be coming to us here as well. We usually just follow in the footsteps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CB App!
    01-27-13 10:13 PM
    I don't understand why people unlock there phones other than to sell it
    01-27-13 11:00 PM
    To use them on other networks. So, for example, if you have a Bell Canada phone, once unlocked, you can use it on Rogers Canada, Telus Canada, AT&T USA, etc, not to mention MVNOs/prepaid networks.
    01-27-13 11:36 PM
    White House and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) released statements expressing support for legalizing the practice of unlocking mobile phones.When traveling abroad, an unlocked phone can be used with a local SIM card to avoid expensive overseas roaming charges or limited network choices.An unlocked mobile phone can be used with a less expensive carrier or sold to anyone willing to buy it. So you can unlock your mobile from any GSM sim network by getting the unlocking service by software or by an online provider.
    I phoned Voda UK this week as I was going to the Philippines. They unlocked both my phones for free and seemed quite happy to do so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-24-14 09:23 AM
    Well I'm glad my Q is already unlocked. Wonder if I can still get my iPhone done.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-24-14 10:42 AM
    If one is traveling for any good length of time, should one use a cheaper local SIM or pay roaming rates/buy a roaming package at prices that would make hotel markups blush?

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 11:01 AM
    I am sure this will be coming to us here as well. We usually just follow in the footsteps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CB App!
    Considering we just changed the law to make carriers unlock our phones after 90 days of service or if you buy it outright then right away. For a fee
    We're not changing it anytime soon lol

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 11:27 AM
    i really can't see what the issue is here. As long as you are still paying your contract monthly fee to your carrier, why should it matter that you could use your device on another network if you wish.

If you've purchased the phone outright, then its yours to do with as you wish.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-24-14 11:32 AM
    Well I'm glad my Q is already unlocked. Wonder if I can still get my iPhone done.
    If you bought it from a carrier before January 26 2013, you can get it unlocked anywhere without running afoul of the DMCA ((I refuse to say "breaking the law.") I'd recommend you contact your carrier and see if they'll give you the code for free, but otherwise, there's no reason you need to contact them. You are free to unlock it however you want.

If you bought it from a carrier after January 26 2013, you'll need permission from them to unlock it. The new, recent agreement with the FCC (if it's already gone into effect) mandates them to reply to your unlocking request within two days. If the device is out of contract, they have to unlock it. If not...then you're at the mercy of whatever their policies are. If you need it unlocked immediately, try telling them you'll be traveling outside the country and would like to pop in a local SIM.

i really can't see what the issue is here. As long as you are still paying your contract monthly fee to your carrier, why should it matter that you could use your device on another network if you wish.
    Welcome to the world of twisted application of the law largely due to lobbying.
    01-24-14 11:52 AM
    If you bought it from a carrier before January 26 2013, you can get it unlocked anywhere without running afoul of the DMCA ((I refuse to say "breaking the law.") I'd recommend you contact your carrier and see if they'll give you the code for free, but otherwise, there's no reason you need to contact them. You are free to unlock it however you want.

If you bought it from a carrier after January 26 2013, you'll need permission from them to unlock it. The new, recent agreement with the FCC (if it's already gone into effect) mandates them to reply to your unlocking request within two days. If the device is out of contract, they have to unlock it. If not...then you're at the mercy of whatever their policies are. If you need it unlocked immediately, try telling them you'll be traveling outside the country and would like to pop in a local SIM.

Welcome to the world of twisted application of the law largely due to lobbying.
    How about if I bought it at Best Buy?

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-24-14 12:00 PM
    How about if I bought it at Best Buy?
    If you signed a contract and got a subsidy, then it's still a "carrier phone" and you'll need the carrier's permission.
    01-24-14 12:08 PM