I ran Crackmem and got rid of the carrier themes and the vendor file (I checked the boxes). I already had manually removed the sample video. Crackmem ran successfully, I checked the removed folder and all looks good. Now, what do I need to do next? I'm assumming I need to re-install the OS in order for the changes to take effect? If so, how do I do that?

Also, how in the world do I remove the preloaded pictures in the Media application? I was able to easily remove the sample video but can't seem to remove or move the preloaded pics from the device memory to the media card. If I add up the total space for the preloaded pics, it comes to 621kb. That would be nice to gain another 621K....unless I added incorrectly.

Lastly, once the stuff I selected is removed, I'm assumming that I can run Crackmem at any time and be able to 'Put Back' the stuff I removed?
    08-05-08 04:43 PM
    I ran Crackmem and got rid of the carrier themes and the vendor file (I checked the boxes). I already had manually removed the sample video. Crackmem ran successfully, I checked the removed folder and all looks good. Now, what do I need to do next? I'm assumming I need to re-install the OS in order for the changes to take effect? If so, how do I do that?

Also, how in the world do I remove the preloaded pictures in the Media application? I was able to easily remove the sample video but can't seem to remove or move the preloaded pics from the device memory to the media card. If I add up the total space for the preloaded pics, it comes to 621kb. That would be nice to gain another 621K....unless I added incorrectly.

Lastly, once the stuff I selected is removed, I'm assumming that I can run Crackmem at any time and be able to 'Put Back' the stuff I removed?
    Check your CrackMEM version. Earlier versions wouldn't remove the preloaded pics, later ones will. I removed them from mine and don't miss them at all.

Oh, and go to this thread for much, much, MUCH more information - http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/
    Last edited by Arninetyes; 08-05-08 at 04:57 PM.
    08-05-08 04:55 PM
    Follow the link for CrackMem in my signature. That provides the latest version, along with a lot of info on the application!!

All of your questions will be answered, and the developer actually monitors the thread
    08-05-08 05:07 PM
    As Nick917 said, please make sure that you have CrackMem v2.4 it's free so go ahead and download it.

Have a look ate the Help text. I put a step by step guide in there. 18 points if I remember. It should see you though.

If you are ready to install, connect your phone and either run Desktop Manager or click the 'Run Desktop Manager' button in CrackMem.

If you have trouble, post here or PM me. I posted CrackMem.
    08-05-08 05:09 PM
    Follow the link for CrackMem in my signature. That provides the latest version, along with a lot of info on the application!!

All of your questions will be answered, and the developer actually monitors the thread
    Thanks for the help Arninetyes and bmcclure937. I am sure that you two would have sorted this out had I gone to bed which, I am about to do.
    08-05-08 05:13 PM
    I'm using version 2.4 which should be the latest version.
    I followed all the steps in Help except for step 6 (Synchronize your phone with Outlook or whatever you sync with). When I come up to step 16, it indicated that the OS is supposed to nstall automatically, but for me it does not. Am I doing something wrong? Seems as though I just now need to transfer the revised OS to my Pearl and just can't seem to get that going.
    Last edited by Nick917; 08-05-08 at 07:52 PM.
    08-05-08 07:46 PM
    CrackMem also provides for that pesky Vendor.xml file removal.

Do that, then try it again.
    08-05-08 07:48 PM
    CrackMem also provides for that pesky Vendor.xml file removal.

Do that, then try it again.

Did it 3 times and still can't get the OS to install automatically when I start DM. I looked in 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64' and I see that there are 14 themes and 1 media file in there. What about the sample music file?

I SELECTED TO REMOVE THE FOLLOWING IN CRACKMEM:

Vendor.xml
    Blackberry Sample Video
    Preloaded Wallpaper
    Carrier Themes

THIS IS WHAT IS IN THE C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64 folder after the execute:

net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_102a_icon_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_104_zen_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_105_zen_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_107_zen_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_114_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_115_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_119_today_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_119_zen_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_120_green_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_120_today_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_125_today_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_125_zen_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_129_240x260_b.cod
    08-05-08 08:17 PM
    Are you using Windows Vista?

If so, have you used the Run as Administrator setting?

Can you do a manual check for:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Scroll to the bottom, what is the last file name in the directory? If it is Vendor.xml, go ahead and delete it manually.
    08-05-08 08:22 PM
    Are you using Windows Vista?

If so, have you used the Run as Administrator setting?

Can you do a manual check for:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Scroll to the bottom, what is the last file name in the directory? If it is Vendor.xml, go ahead and delete it manually.
    I'm using Windows XP. In 'C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader', there is no Vendor.xml file listed there.
    08-05-08 08:25 PM
    OK, all the preperation is done.

Start Desktop Manager and connect the device. If you are not prompted to update, open Application Loader and let it read the device and installed software list.

When it has finished, it should show you a panel with the recognized OS verison.

If it indicates v4.3, proceed with the device upload.

If it indicates v4.2, there is still a preperation issue.
    08-05-08 08:32 PM
    OK, all the preperation is done.

Start Desktop Manager and connect the device. If you are not prompted to update, open Application Loader and let it read the device and installed software list.

When it has finished, it should show you a panel with the recognized OS verison.

If it indicates v4.3, proceed with the device upload.

If it indicates v4.2, there is still a preperation issue.
    DM recognized OS 4.3 and listed 2 unrecognizable files which were the media file and 1 theme. It removed them and I recieved a 'successful' message at the end so it guess it worked. I looked at my Pearl in Media and all the wallpaper is gone (cool!) but only the t-Mobile theme was removed. I still have the other 4 pre-installed themes in there. My iBerry theme was not removed so that's good. How can I get rid of the other 4 preloaed themes?
    Last edited by Nick917; 08-05-08 at 08:52 PM.
    08-05-08 08:49 PM
    Vendor.xml is an exception to where it files are stored after removal. It is stored in RemovedFiles. I did this because there is only one copy of Vendor.xml (in Apploader) regardless of how many OSs are installed and it made life a lot easier when using Put It Back.

EVERYTHING else is stored in RemovedFiles\SelectedOS.
    08-06-08 04:41 AM
    DM recognized OS 4.3 and listed 2 unrecognizable files which were the media file and 1 theme. It removed them and I recieved a 'successful' message at the end so it guess it worked. I looked at my Pearl in Media and all the wallpaper is gone (cool!) but only the t-Mobile theme was removed. I still have the other 4 pre-installed themes in there. My iBerry theme was not removed so that's good. How can I get rid of the other 4 preloaed themes?
    The Pre-loaded themes BBDimension (Icon, Zen, Today and L) are needed. They should be regarded as a part of the OS as they contain display libraries that support all other installed themes. The real no no delete here is the Zen net_rim_theme_bbdimension_zen_320x240_b.cod theme as this is the one that has most of the needed stuff in it. You can see this from the size of the thing.

If you never use the Today themes (anybody's Today theme) then you may be able to remove net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b.cod since this presumably contains only support routines for other Today themes. This same logic applies equally to net_rim_theme_bbdimension_l_320x240_b.cod and net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_320x240_b.cod. When designing CrackMem I had to leave these in since I did not know who would use which themes.

I only use the Today theme and when I deleted L and Icon (not Zen) I had some adverse effects so I put them back.

It is better to go slowly and remove stuff like this carefully, one file at a time rather than removing a load of them and then saying 'Sh1t, Oh dear.' When it does not work.
    08-06-08 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD