News article is here :

BlackBerry update bursting with spyware - The Register

Apparently one of the operators in UAE is installing snooping devices via WAP Push.

Just be warned that its going on. Relevant posts on BlackBerry support forums have been pulled also.

Always double check before downloading updates to your phone, from anyone, including your network provider or handset provider !

Stay safe . . .
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 07-14-09 at 02:21 PM.
    07-14-09 02:15 PM
    Hi ..
    I'm from UAE , n I didn't know about this until i downloaded the registeration update ..
    I read the article on blackberrycool.com ..
    It seems to drain so much battery life and can't be deleted =S
    Shame on u @#$% etisalat =@
    07-14-09 02:24 PM
    Apparently there is a way to remove it. I'm sure a handset wipe and restore of a previous backup would do it, not sure though . . .

Gonna go look for the thread that was deleted from RIMs website on how to remove it !

EDIT : Apparently what I stated is correct, you have to wipe the handset and restore from a previous backup, the files are apparently located in the Applications Permissions Database, just restoring this database will NOT work however, so only solution is a wipe.

Have added a link to the actual update file on RapidShare for anyone who wants to poke around :

RapidShare: Registration.zip
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 07-14-09 at 02:41 PM.
    07-14-09 02:27 PM
    Wow that's crazy. Good luck to all of the UAE BB users with this situation.
    07-14-09 03:18 PM
    Sounds like they may be pushing this out via a service book? Shame on them.
    07-14-09 03:43 PM
    What a shame ... I've been to Dubai many atimes, and it's amazing how such a great place can invade privacy like that .. what can you do.
    07-14-09 09:47 PM
    Well its out there now, and wiping is the only way to get rid of it. Plus restoring backups PRE software update.

Would love some proper JAVA programmers to get inside it and see if there's any clues as to WHO wrote it

As I dont think its an open and shut case . . .
    07-14-09 10:37 PM
    From ITP

"According to SS8’s website, the founder of OCI Mobile, Derek Roga, developed technology for smartphone interception and in 2005 he was tasked with introducing the firm’s BlackBerry solution to the Middle East. Roga was also the founder of Dubai-based EMS Mobile, which became RIM’s strategic channel partner for the Middle East region and Etisalat’s partner when the operator launched the BlackBerry in May 2006."

That doesn't sit well with me at all.
    07-14-09 10:49 PM
    News article is here :

BlackBerry update bursting with spyware - The Register

Apparently one of the operators in UAE is installing snooping devices via WAP Push.

Just be warned that its going on. Relevant posts on BlackBerry support forums have been pulled also.

Always double check before downloading updates to your phone, from anyone, including your network provider or handset provider !

Stay safe . . .
    Good catch DM...
    07-15-09 07:29 AM
    Cheers bro, at least its made the main page on CB as a news article so more people can be aware its going on, I'm a big advocate of privacy rights, and this doesn't sit well with me at all, from the point of the network and possibly even the dealings of the manufacturer, it all seems a bit shady to me.

Sad really
    07-15-09 09:49 AM
    Apparently there is a way to remove it. I'm sure a handset wipe and restore of a previous backup would do it, not sure though . . .

Gonna go look for the thread that was deleted from RIMs website on how to remove it !

EDIT : Apparently what I stated is correct, you have to wipe the handset and restore from a previous backup, the files are apparently located in the Applications Permissions Database, just restoring this database will NOT work however, so only solution is a wipe.

Have added a link to the actual update file on RapidShare for anyone who wants to poke around :

RapidShare: Registration.zip
    My company blocks access to Rapidshare, can someone please e-mail me the zip file to dig into a bit. You can e-mail to theotherguy at globalillusion dot com. Thx
    07-15-09 10:41 AM
    New Information available from El Reg

BlackBerry snoopers can explain everything - The Register

Register is really piling on the coverage due to someone asking them to get into more detail on it
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 07-15-09 at 12:42 PM.
    07-15-09 12:32 PM
    My company blocks access to Rapidshare, can someone please e-mail me the zip file to dig into a bit. You can e-mail to theotherguy at globalillusion dot com. Thx
    on its way
    07-15-09 12:42 PM
    on its way
    Received it, thx!
    07-15-09 01:01 PM
    NP, happy to help, surpised there hasnt been more people involved in this post !
    07-15-09 06:46 PM
    It appears that someone might of found a work around on BlackBerrycool.com. I am in the UAE and have tried it but waiting the results, so far can recieve email and calls testing send now. Try at your own risk but it seems to work for now - I will revert when I get the battery life out. The only problem now is that I cannot get this "update" off the phone.

1- go to options
    2- select advanced options
    3- select Applications
    4- press the menu button
    5- under which select "modules"
    6-start typing the word "registration"
    7- once found press the menu button again
    8- under which select "edit permissions"
    9- select all three options to deny, you should end up with the following
    + Conection Deny
    + Interactions Deny
    + User Data Deny
    10- once done press the menu button again
    11- select save
    it is important to save the settings. the bb will ask you to reboot to accept the changes made.

the poster states this has solved his problem for the most part but, it is still only a work around.

the main issue is that as I travel to another regions with this horrible code in the phone will it take that information and use it?

it really sucks to buy a bold then have this happen 3 weeks later

Rgds,
    07-16-09 06:15 AM
    NP, happy to help, surpised there hasnt been more people involved in this post !
    I agree, although I think most Berry users in the UAE are exactly that, just users, so they don't know about the best source for Berry information called Crackberry.com.
    07-16-09 07:59 AM
    It appears that someone might of found a work around on BlackBerrycool.com.
    There was another 'claimed' solution that if you pulled the battery without turning the phone off, and leaving it out for 5 minutes, this will fix the problem. I've done both suggestions and my phone seems to be back to normal (except for the anoying software sitting there).

The battery pull will however only work until Etisalat sends the command to start monitoring again. You won't know about it, as the code will automatically start the monitoring/spying of your phone and delete the message from your phone without even showing it. I haven't had time to completely look through the code yet (irritating work that keeps interrupting).

Disallowing access should be the better solution.
    07-16-09 08:06 AM
    This is even worse than first expected. This bug has even effected my work computer by corrupting MicroSoft Word. Me, (being the bright engineer I am) called Etisalat to complain and backed up the hand held to my work machine then did a wipe, after reloading the original content back to the handheld, (etisalat directions) well it did not fix the problem (this is where the DUH comes in) but... today I am working on a rather large document and Word shuts down after about 4 minutes and tries to reach MS servers to report an issue.. it never reaches and times out closing out the document. I have never hit save so many d*mn times in my life...... If anyone comes up with a fix it will be a god send. I am now trying to figure out if I need to just do a fresh install on the old laptop.. Oh, by the way, it will also not allow a systems restrore on the system now. Funny, but, I think this one might of had some help.

Rgds,
    07-17-09 09:13 AM
    A 'fix' has been graciously supplied by RIM (got to love them :-)) that removes the nasty app from your phone. The link to the article and download can be found here http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/07/21/etisalat-blackberry-update-was-indeed-spyware-rim-provides-a-so/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 01:10 PM
    RIM apparently issued a press release about this as well: RIM Warns Update Has Spyware - WSJ.com

It brings up a question about the carrier agreements with the hardware providers. Does RIM really have a dog in this fight...the hardware is already sold, it's up the carrier how its handled right? I'm not saying right or wrong, but aside from the standard "OS", what role would RIM play as it pertains to "pushed" content?
    07-22-09 02:33 PM
    RIM apparently issued a press release about this as well: RIM Warns Update Has Spyware - WSJ.com

It brings up a question about the carrier agreements with the hardware providers. Does RIM really have a dog in this fight...the hardware is already sold, it's up the carrier how its handled right? I'm not saying right or wrong, but aside from the standard "OS", what role would RIM play as it pertains to "pushed" content?
    I think in any hardware situation, Berry or not, the provider is allowed to supply 'updates'. I know lots of providers used to have files for settings when I still had a HTC with network settings, etc. So I guess its fairly common that a provider would have their network specific 'settings' out there. In a place like the UAE you probably get monitored more than usual, but lying outright about the purpose of the 'patch' is downright low.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 03:53 PM
    As an update to this story:

UAE says BlackBerry is security threat. Would post the link but I'm too much of a newbie.

Search yahoo news or another repository for it: but the gist is quoted below:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates � The United Arab Emirates has declared BlackBerry smartphones a potential threat to national security, saying the devices operate beyond the jurisdiction of national laws and are open to misuse.

The move raises concerns of another attempt by the government to control the flow of information in the Arab Gulf nation, which actively censors websites and other forms of media seen as harming national security or conservative local values. At the same time, however, the UAE is trying to establish itself as an international business hub.

This is the second major controversy over the Blackberry in the UAE. A year ago, the Middle East country's biggest state-run mobile operator was caught encouraging unwitting BlackBerry users to install software on the devices that could allow outsiders to peer inside. The government has never made fully clear what happened in that case.
    07-26-10 10:48 AM
    Because of Israel.
    07-26-10 12:46 PM
    Here's the story link.... AP: UAE calls BlackBerrys a “security threat” � Boy Genius Report

Sounds to me like the pot calling the kettle black.

All these countries that want to peer in on BBM talks which is believed that most current tech savvy terrorists are using to pass info from person to person since it's encrypted communications (unlike the calls and text messages they used in the past). The thing is, the countries wanting to do this are of the same descent of said terrorists.

I'm not saying all Arabs are terrorists here, but what I find interesting is that governments will say they are trying to safeguard the people's interests by having a back door in to do so. Well, what's to keep them from using that back door for evil impacts as well? It's like the Chinese wanting a back door into Google's servers to safeguard/wall garden the searches for the people in that country. Heck, the last time I checked, most hacks happen from China, so why open the door to the hacks to begin with?

Seriously, I'm all for security and not wanting RIM to truncate or sift through my data to begin with, but if I was RIM, I'd give these fracks the finger, just like they did to the Indian government. Frack em! If they want to play those games, use a SAT phone to call in your bombings. lol

BTW, why do you think so many countries want the encryption keys to RIM's data network and a back door in? Simple, the majority of the US and other countries use BBs as their form of safe communication. Get a way into that infrastructure and you pretty much have everyone by the balls. I've said it before... RIM's NOC is both their biggest asset and their biggest weakness. One security blow to that place and we're all up isht's creek without a paddle. And no, we're not talking BBM is down for 24 hours here, we're talking anything from global outages or trade and state secrets being out in the public eye of other countries. I still don't understand why everyone thinks RIM's networks are so secure... I guess it's the same mentality that's applied to Swiss Banks.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 07-26-10 at 12:56 PM.
    07-26-10 12:51 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD