Going overseas next month for a wedding..

I use the BB 8900 and I love the UMA feature...

Can I make outgoing calls to the US for free while using UMA or receiving calls for free?
    10-10-10 05:27 AM
    Not sure if you can or can't. Never used UMA myself either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 05:57 AM
    Yes, you can.

Be sure to leave "mobile network" off so that your phone doesn't register on a foreign network. If it does, you'll be receiving a large bill for voicemail forwarding.
    10-10-10 08:26 AM
    Not sure if you can or can't. Never used UMA myself either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Excellent post....

Pretty sure the OP has used UMA before since he loves it.
    As previously answered, yes it will work.
    10-10-10 08:50 AM
    Outgoing calls are free. Incoming will be charged @ the Intrnational rate. Make sure to turn off your mobile network before you leave the country.
    10-10-10 09:35 AM
    Outgoing calls are free. Incoming will be charged @ the Intrnational rate. Make sure to turn off your mobile network before you leave the country.
    This is completely incorrect.

So long as your connected to Wifi ONLY.... Both incoming calls and outgoing calls are free/taken from your normal plan.

If you call an international # it will be billed as a call from the USA to the international destination.
    10-10-10 09:48 AM
    how do I turn off my mobile network before I leave. When, I'm overseas, Do I have to make sure that it's only connected to WIFI?

Any instructions and help are truly appreciated...
    11-01-10 07:26 AM
    Deselect it at: Connections / Mobile Network

Switching off the local mobile network will insure you do not attempt to use it while making a call. If you move away from the Wifi source, you will experience a dropped call instead of a normal hand over.

11-01-10 10:12 AM
    Thank you very much. Just wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing something else...

Did anyone use the UMA service while overseas without being charged recently?

Thanks again..>
    11-01-10 12:00 PM
    Your question is too vague and FYI it may not work at all. When you say "overseas" you need to specify a country. It doesn't work everywhere, like China and many other places.

So where are you actually going to?
    11-01-10 03:04 PM
    Your question is too vague and FYI it may not work at all. When you say "overseas" you need to specify a country. It doesn't work everywhere, like China and many other places.

What do you mean? It will work nine stories below the ground in Afghanistan so long as there is an open wifi signal :P
    11-01-10 03:15 PM

I'm going to Morocco...
    11-02-10 06:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD