Doesn’t marketing sell a product and/or a service? If you throw enough money at it, it’s likely people will buy into it, sure. Doesn’t the type of marketing campaign affect the number of sales? It increases the probability, yes.But consider this: how many times do you come across a really great ad but don’t purchase what was advertised? Everyday. Why? It can be for any number of reasons — You don’t need or want it, it’s too expensive, it’s not relative to you or your life, or you simply just don’t care about it.
    Increasing the probability that people will purchase a product is all that any marketing campaign can hope to accomplish. It's absolutely true that most ads are ignored by most people most of the time, because at any given moment most people are not interested in most things that are being advertised. This doesn't mean advertising doesn't work. But it does have to be the right kind of advertising, since there is such a thing as bad advertising.

A themed advertising campaign is necessary for rebranding, because this kind of ad campaign isn't just trying to get the word out; it's trying to change a perception that's already entrenched. When a new product comes to the market, you can take advantage of the fact that people don't already think they know all about it. BlackBerry doesn't have that luxury. On the contrary, their problem is that people do think they already know all about it.

A little while back, in another thread, I had the idea that a good marketing campaign theme for BlackBerry would be summed up in the slogan "Rediscover BlackBerry." The more I think about it, the more I like the idea (heartily patting myself on the back). This is exactly the kind of interest BlackBerry needs to stimulate. The notion of rediscovery combines nostalgia and newness. It implies good memories along with something new to discover.

Granted, some people have bad memories of BlackBerry devices. They may be beyond reach. And the app gap will remain an issue for average users who simply won't be interested in any solution that isn't as seamless as just finding apps in BB World or Play or App Store and buying them. That's the industry standard and nothing less is adequate. No marketing campaign can change that.
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    04-15-14 07:43 AM
    By the end of 2014 calendar year John Chen would have been on the job for over 1 year and his strategy, if it's truly effective, should begin to materialize; otherwise things will be uglier for BlackBerry. Lets wait and see because it ain't over until the fat lady sings.
    She's been singing.... everyone is at the Apple Store - it like if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there......

September! We will know by then if sales are turning around, with the new devices and lower price points we will then clear the air on if price was THE reason that BB10 could not gain traction. Also BBM will have been out for about a year (at least from it first initial attempt at a launch), if it still hasn't broken 100K users, then will know it most likely never will in the time BlackBerry has left. BES12 won't be out yet, so they will "explain" the lack of adoption on everyone "waiting" And we will know if this new batch of BBOS devices can boost sales and service revenues...
    04-15-14 07:43 AM
    This post was spot on. I agree with BlackBerry's shift to concentrating on enterprise for now. Sometimes companies have to get smaller to get bigger.

Even though many companies do BYOD, there will be a number of companies that do not. If BlackBerry can own the non-BYOD market and make inroads in the BYOD market through sales of BES 12, I think they'll be on their way to recovering.

Looking back, I think BlackBerry spent too much time chasing consumer app developers like Instagram and not enough time chasing app developers who make apps for business users. I saw a post where someone in the health care industry said his/her hospital was dumping BlackBerry for iOS because there were certain industry specific apps available on iOS and not BlackBerry. If BlackBerry can get those apps and other apps frequently used by businesses, they can shore up the non-BYOD market and regain share.

For now, I think BlackBerry lost the consumer market, and it was a wise decision to focus on what their strengths (enterprise) and try to dominate this market.

Blackberry Z10: STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.537
    I hope it's not too late for them in that space also.
    04-15-14 07:47 AM
    The problem with BlackBerry marketing is all the engineers that are making the decisions. Engineers have been selecting the companies that produce marketing campaigns, and engineers have been choosing which campaign to go with.

This is why BlackBerry ads fall into two categories: either showcasing technical features (Keep Moving, Tools not Toys) or completely bizarre (Be Bold, Super Bowl Ad), which are engineers' ideas of "artsy" ads.

These engineers cannot tell a story that will evoke emotions in the viewers. I know how these engineers feel - I am one, and Apple's ads make me gag. But these sappy ads certainly work their magic on the general public.

I'm not suggesting that BlackBerry start producing sappy ads. But it needs to find a story that will resonate with the public. It needs to remind people that of all the smartphone makers, it has been the most generous with charitable donations (Bill Gates is giving away his own money, not Microsoft's, and Apple's charitable donations are laughable compared to its income, all kept offshore and tax free). It needs to show how its support is making people's lives better.

Another story to tell would be security - yes, it needs to be made important. I know iPhone users who won't do wireless banking because they don't feel safe doing it. Show that it can be safe.

Finally, it needs to show some humility. Too many people still remember the arrogant Jim Balsillie, who just turned everyone off. There are lots of PR companies who would love this challenge.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 08:26 AM
    A little while back, in another thread, I had the idea that a good marketing campaign theme for BlackBerry would be summed up in the slogan "Rediscover BlackBerry." The more I think about it, the more I like the idea (heartily patting myself on the back). This is exactly the kind of interest BlackBerry needs to stimulate. The notion of rediscovery combines nostalgia and newness. It implies good memories along with something new to discover.
    The problem is that if you've never used a Blackberry then this has absolutely no meaning. Given the size of the smartphone market compared to 2007. I'd say that upwards of 80% of smartphone users have never owned a Blackberry. For the 20% that have, then you would need to come up with some kind of reason why they would want to rediscover Blackberry - physical keyboard nostalgia? I'm not sure what other reason you're going to be able to get across in an ad. You can't really show battery life and BBM is cross platform.

I guess you could try security, however, all of your marketing about security can be blown with one vulnerability. The same thing goes for reliability. The perception can vanish with just one outage. If you do this with your marketing then you are inviting the press to highlight any security or reliability issue whether it's real or not.
    04-15-14 09:26 AM
    Marketing and evangelism helps to a certain degree. It helps dispel old myths (ie. BB10 is just like BBOS). Almost everyone I've shown BB10 to has reacted positively to it. But the question inevitably becomes, apart from the different OS and interface, why would someone who is significantly invested in the iOS or Android ecosystems switch to it. The longer someone is on a platform, the more they spend on apps and content, and the more they become reliant on services offered by said platform.

It's much easier said than done, but I think what they need is a Trojan horse to get back into people's daily lives, to get them actually using a BlackBerry again. Their initial success in the mid 2000s was via enterprise, perhaps they'll find a mid 2010s equivalent of it.
    04-15-14 09:31 AM
    Actually if you look at the current trial documents there are quite a few internal presentations from Samsung that are about that very question and how they need to build a narrative/story more than apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    So then what's the narrative? You can now have your smartphone made by a faceless international corporate octopus that has it's hands in everything from electronics to earth moving equipment?

I think Samsung just makes really nice phones and markets the crap out of them. That's what sells them. That and the fact that they incorporate pretty much all one gets from Apple and then also manage to address areas Apple stubbornly ignores. Such as the trend towards larger phones. Which Apple totally missed, on a BlackBerry level of failure.
    04-15-14 03:24 PM
    This is why they need to release something disruptive.
    My opinion is utilizing q-net could achieve this but others have good ideas too.

It's the only way now to regain any sort of cool factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:59 PM
    Besides the Q20 and Q30 and the Z3 , I would really like to see the Porsche level of build quality on a phone that would sell for the same as an iPhone 5s.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-15-14 07:38 PM
    Besides the Q20 and Q30 and the Z3 , I would really like to see the Porsche level of build quality on a phone that would sell for the same as an iPhone 5s.

Great idea! Although the same price as an iphone wouldnt make it very exclusive.

Three to four times the price would be fair if the beef up the phone and use more exotic materials.

Right now its more like 7-8 times the price.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-15-14 07:50 PM
    Great idea! Although the same price as an iphone wouldnt make it very exclusive.

Three to four times the price would be fair if the beef up the phone and use more exotic materials.

Right now its more like 7-8 times the price.

That is crazy talk unless you live in Dubai. In my world the iPhone is not cheap.

04-15-14 07:59 PM

I think the current level of finish on the z10, 30 and the q10 are already good enough?

About Iphones, their level of finish are noting special. Just Google "iPhone creaking" and you will know.
    And I do not want BlackBerry to follow the apple crowd for the enclosed battery either.

I do not get why people always talk about aluminum as some high class material. Aluminum is more likely to dent and they are less rugged than polycarbonate. I would rather have a proper plastic made phone that also has good build quality (Nokia)
    04-15-14 08:34 PM
    That is crazy talk unless you live in Dubai. In my world the iPhone is not cheap.

Well the Porsche phones are 7-8 times the price of the Z10 where im from. If 3-4 times is crazy talk then 7-8 times must be beyond madness!

Dont forget the tag and vertu phones. They are a complete different universe then.

Bbnivende likes this.
    04-15-14 08:46 PM
    Well the Porsche phones are 7-8 times the price of the Z10 where im from. If 3-4 times is crazy talk then 7-8 times must be beyond madness!

Dont forget the tag and vertu phones. They are a complete different universe then.

I think the market might accept a very Porsche like BB phone for $700 to $800.

The Big Picture likes this.
    04-15-14 11:43 PM
    I agree with the post on Crackberry but I also remember a time when Blackberry wasn't in the darkest of times.

There was a time when Blackberry was leading the way and laughed at the other companies who were coming out with touchscreen phones and proclaiming to the media that they were a fad and that you couldn't do any real work on a phone unless it had a physical keyboard.

It's easy to feel sorry for them but in reality they put themselves in the position they are in through stubbornness and flat out refusal to change. While other companies were innovating they were churning our Bold after Bold and the Torch line of phones that were laughable compared to what the competition was offering. Coupled with a terrible marketing campaign (Be Bold) they were asking for this to happen. Pile on the laughable Playbook and the recipe for disaster was complete.

It was only when the bottom fell out that they decided to try and change things but at that point the damage was done.

It's easy to say "Hey, give us a chance now," but when things were good they mocked the consumer and told them they didn't need the things they were asking for and to be happy with a terrible camera, an awful web browser, and an OS that was far behind the times. Instead of embracing change, thy fought it and it's put them in the position they are in now.
    Agreed.

BlackBerry shouldn't have released the Playbook until last year. A Playbook with bridge to BBOS and BB10 phones with 2013-esque specs and the excellent sound system it already has would have allowed the Playbook to garner better reviews.

I feel like the OS 7 phones and the 2011 Playbook release really set BlackBerry back and caused them to lose focus on releasing BB10. If this hadn't of happened, maybe BB10 phones would have been released in the summer/fall of 2012.

BB should have only released the Bold 9900/30 in 2011 - they shouldn't have released another BBOS touch device until BB10 was ready.
    cgallaer likes this.
    04-16-14 10:39 AM
    Agreed.

BlackBerry shouldn't have released the Playbook until last year. A Playbook with bridge to BBOS and BB10 phones with 2013-esque specs and the excellent sound system it already has would have allowed the Playbook to garner better reviews.

I feel like the OS 7 phones and the 2011 Playbook release really set BlackBerry back and caused them to lose focus on releasing BB10. If this hadn't of happened, maybe BB10 phones would have been released in the summer/fall of 2012.

BB should have only released the Bold 9900/30 in 2011 - they shouldn't have released another BBOS touch device until BB10 was ready.
    Um, the pb was the test bed for BB10. Without it who knows much longer BB10 would've taken.
    highos and CHIP72 like this.
    04-16-14 11:00 AM
41 12