My PlayBook is three years old... pretty sure if BlackBerry had really put some effort into building the ecosystem - like Microsoft has (M O N E Y). That at launch BB10 would have had a lot of the major apps - problem is that alone wouldn't have been enough.

I don't know what Kevin and the gang are doing - think they are just as frustrated with BlackBerry as many of us are. For the last 12 months or so there has been a noticeable effort to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything" on CrackBerry by some of the mods (heck how many times has Kevin been this active in the forums in the last year?). But it does seem there was a "break" from that . Most nobody here cares about a Software and Services only BlackBerry. Most nobody here cares about a hardware for a few regulated industries - Very Expensive Devices. Most of us wanted a consumer compatible BlackBerry that would give us ( and we hoped everyone) the great communication tools we expect from BlackBerry along with the other features that other smartphone user enjoy.... Apps, Content, FUN.

Most all these guys use other devices - they see what is possible in hardware, they see what is possible in customization and features, they see how apps are getting much better and higher quality on other platforms. BB10 is getting BETTER... but so is every other platform! But most importantly they knew what BlackBerry should have done 18 months ago, then like use hoped for so much more than what we got. How could they not be a little disenfranchised..... Doesn't mean they have given up the fight, just that they aren't going to sacrifice themselves in a losing battle.
    The upcoming device releases are the most important in the history of the company. BlackBerry will not recover their footing in the market overnight, but they will need to take a step forward, even if it’s just a baby step to remain viable. I think the Classic should have been the flagship BB10 device, but better late than never.

If at all possible, I’d like to see at least something in the realm of a consumer marketing push. I’d hate to see them go down without at least a fight.

As far as the future of CB, we shall see the direction things go without CrackBerry Kevin, even if he’s still around it will obviously be in a significantly diminished role.
    Last edited by joe56984; 06-17-14 at 01:21 PM.
    06-17-14 12:59 PM
    Hard to say that for sure. I used to do some writing for an online publication called TechRepublic. (Which was purchased by CNet, which was purchased by CBS Interactive.)
    There were a lot of important roles in the company besides the senior editor roles.
    It could be argued that by letting go of that role, Kevin is actually going to be able to focus on things that will make CrackBerry more viable in the long run.

As far as the future of CB, we shall see the direction things go without CrackBerry Kevin, even if he’s still around it will obviously be in a significantly diminished role.
    06-17-14 01:32 PM
    Hard to say that for sure. I used to do some writing for an online publication called TechRepublic. (Which was purchased by CNet, which was purchased by CBS Interactive.)
    There were a lot of important roles in the company besides the senior editor roles.
    It could be argued that by letting go of that role, Kevin is actually going to be able to focus on things that will make CrackBerry more viable in the long run.
    That’s a good way of looking at it. I certainly hope you are right. Ultimately, I’m all about the long term success of CrackBerry, and by virtue, BlackBerry.
    06-17-14 01:42 PM
    Very interesting perspective. The message I'm getting from all involved would seem to be that BlackBerry's chances for surviving and actually doing well are considerably better now than they were a year or two ago.
    Where are you getting your messages?

We will see what the real message is on Thursday... but other than vague statements from the CEO (who's job is to PROMOTE the company), I haven't seen any sign of a turn around.

Analysts on average expect Waterloo, Ont.-based BlackBerry to report a 25 cent (U.S.) per share loss, versus 13 cents in red ink a year ago, on revenue of $963.93 million. That�s down 68.6 percent from sales of $3.1 billion in the comparable period last year.
    Maynard Um of Wells Fargo said the recent sale of BlackBerry�s Canadian real estate and early Jakarta success could improve financials, but �we believe the transition may be bumpy� due to continued loss of customers and disappointing revenue from BlackBerry�s enterprise device-management software.

I do find the timing of the announcement of both BBM Protected for Enterprise and EnStream LP announcements as.... interesting.
    06-17-14 02:37 PM
    I was referring to here on CrackBerry, but also, there are considerably less "BlackBerry is doomed" commentaries now than a year ago, and a number of analysts who are actually optimistic about BlackBerry's prospects.

* Very well positioned in auto industry
    * Great new enterprise security product released
    * Interesting possibilities in medical industry
    * Who knows what they have in mind with respect to the Internet of Things!
    * A promising product (Z3) already released for developing markets, and 3 phones in the works that should be a significant improvement over the initial BB10 releases.
    * Considerable cost cutting, and still have close to a billion dollars in the bank.

Did I miss anything?

Where are you getting your messages?

We will see what the real message is on Thursday... but other than vague statements from the CEO (who's job is to PROMOTE the company), I haven't seen any sign of a turn around.

I do find the timing of the announcement of both BBM Protected for Enterprise and EnStream LP announcements as.... interesting.
    06-17-14 03:06 PM
    And I trust this guy as a judge of what's a sound investment over most other analysts:

BlackBerry Ltd CEO John Chen proving he’s right man for the job, Prem Watsa tells Fairfax shareholders | Financial Post
    06-17-14 03:13 PM
56 123