Kevin Michaluk, CrackBerry.com founder and editor in chief, weighs in on the BlackBerry and Foxconn partnership, and if he thinks interim CEO John Chen can save the troubled telecom company.

CrackBerry Kevin: Happy BBRY committed to hardware - CNBC
    Uzi, Blacklatino and cjcampbell like this.
    12-20-13 09:59 AM
    Yea wasn't that cool! I got to see it live on my ipad, on Xfinity To Go!
    12-20-13 10:05 AM
    I didn't know we had a Comcast employee right here on crackberry.
    12-20-13 10:07 AM
    Not on your PlayBook? Lol
    12-20-13 10:07 AM
    I didn't know we had a Comcast employee right here on crackberry.
    You don't need to be an employee to use the Xfinity To Go app, just a subscriber, or the son of a subscriber as the case may be.
    propeller10 likes this.
    12-20-13 10:09 AM
    When I tried to play the video on the CB App it said I needed to install flash player

I changed the setting in CB App to open links in browser and that works

CB10. BlackBerry Z10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    12-20-13 10:20 AM
    John Chen is the right man for the company. I really like his business plans, selling low end models where it belong. Yesterday, I added 2000 more shares on top of those shares I have purchased average around $13 per share. Give it about two years, I think it will be double from my previous purchased price $13.00 per share. After 2000 shares purchased yesterday, my average price is now $10.75. I'm still under water, but will be above the water within a year or two. John Chen, please don't mess up!
    12-20-13 10:21 AM
    Kevin Michaluk, CrackBerry.com founder and editor in chief, weighs in on the BlackBerry and Foxconn partnership, and if he thinks interim CEO John Chen can save the troubled telecom company.

CrackBerry Kevin: Happy BBRY committed to hardware - CNBC
    Nice interview.
    12-20-13 10:25 AM
    i have a response for the statement made about the OS used weather its Android or BB10, i really don't think they will go the route of Android as they want to focus on software and enterprise, i believe they would want to focus further more on BB10 and pushing it further along in its growth stage, it makes more sense to do this then to sift through the Android code and rebuild it to have a BlackBerry feel. would make no sense to throw all that money they invested into BB10 away when it already perfroms just as good if not better. why not pack more features into the devices in order to make it more competitive and allow enterprises and prosumers to show more interested in it over BBOS or even other platfroms.

there is value in BB10 and all it needs are some improvements
    12-21-13 12:49 AM
    The same was said about Thorsten, we all know how that turned out.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-21-13 06:19 AM
    The same was said about Thorsten, we all know how that turned out.
    this guy has more balls then Heins had, he's already made a bold move with foxconn, and brought in outside talent to lead the team. Heins did no such thing all he did was lower the number of places where the devices were built to lower costs and use all inside management.

with Foxconn takign care of the hardware BlackBerry really only has to worry abotu the design and software, Foxconn takes care of the manufacturing and resposibility if they don't sell, no writedowns if they over produce no storage its all on Foxconn
    12-21-13 01:41 PM
    with Foxconn takign care of the hardware BlackBerry really only has to worry abotu the design and software, Foxconn takes care of the manufacturing and resposibility if they don't sell, no writedowns if they over produce no storage its all on Foxconn
    Foxconn will manufacture as many units as BBRY orders. Foxconn does not determine how many devices are built, they just fill the orders. If BBRY orders too many, then that's on BBRY. How exactly do you come to the conclusion Foxconn is responsible for overstock?

If BBRY orders too much, then they're on the hook for it. Though I do hold a certain amount of confidence that the new overlords are smarter than the previous heads of state.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    12-21-13 05:05 PM
    Foxconn will manufacture as many units as BBRY orders. Foxconn does not determine how many devices are built, they just fill the orders. If BBRY orders too many, then that's on BBRY. How exactly do you come to the conclusion Foxconn is responsible for overstock?

If BBRY orders too much, then they're on the hook for it. Though I do hold a certain amount of confidence that the new overlords are smarter than the previous heads of state.

Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

Hopefully!
    12-22-13 11:01 AM

You don't know the detail of the agreement. Chen outright said that they are not on the hook for hardware. No more writedowns

Posted via CB10
    oaknut john likes this.
    12-22-13 12:18 PM
    You don't know the detail of the agreement. Chen outright said that they are not on the hook for hardware. No more writedowns

Posted via CB10
    If true, it is likely that BBRY would be using only out of the bin components that Foxconn can move between customers as demand dictates. Otherwise I can't imagine Foxconn taking on an agreement with such an uncertain financial outcome.
    12-22-13 01:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I do. It's simple logistics.

If BBRY wasn't on the hook for hardware, then BBRY would then indeed be out of the hardware business. They'd basically be licensing out BB10 to an external OEM and retailer. Which obviously isn't the case here.

And where exactly did Chen make such a claim that they aren't on the hook for hardware?

Can't have it both ways. Either they are on the hook, or are out of the hardware business altogether. Which is it?

12-22-13 04:50 PM
    Actually, I do. It's simple logistics.

If BBRY wasn't on the hook for hardware, then BBRY would then indeed be out of the hardware business. They'd basically be licensing out BB10 to an external OEM and retailer. Which obviously isn't the case here.

And where exactly did Chen make such a claim that they aren't on the hook for hardware?

Can't have it both ways. Either they are on the hook, or are out of the hardware business altogether. Which is it?

Here read this. He claims to have removed the risk due to a variety of reasons. He eludes to some but again, you don't know the specifics of the agreement so please don't claim you do

financialpost.com/2013/12/20/blackberry-ltd-chen-turnaround/?__lsa=8839-d489

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 07:51 PM
    Here read this. He claims to have removed the risk due to a variety of reasons. He eludes to some but again, you don't know the specifics of the agreement so please don't claim you do

Posted via CB10
    dead link that does not work.

Either way... unless BBRY washes their hands entirely of their entire Hardware business... there's no way they can entirely remove the risk of overstock/write-downs/etc...
    12-22-13 07:57 PM
    Here read this. He claims to have removed the risk due to a variety of reasons. He alludes to some but again, you don't know the specifics of the agreement so please don't claim you do

Posted via CB10
    Hmm...I do remember him talking about no more write-downs. However, I don't think they specified whether Foxconn will ONLY make low-end products and they will keep their higher-tier products coming from Mexico and their current factories. I don't remember them saying they are bailing on those factories, though I don't recall them saying the opposite.
    12-22-13 08:13 PM
    He said Foxconn will be in charge of the supply chain. He also said Foxconn would get paid for production to an agreed amount and after that they profit share. So risk is shared. Foxconn can react faster than BlackBerry. Foxconn will mange the supply of these phones. Nine will ever be in a BlackBerry warehouse.

Assume a BlackBerry design with Foxconn input. BB10. An initial order Guaranteed by BlackBerry. then if it succeeds Foxconn can easily make more. Even upgrade parts as they go. Foxconn has big incentive to get the price right

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 11:58 PM
    this guy has more balls then Heins had, he's already made a bold move with foxconn, and brought in outside talent to lead the team. Heins did no such thing all he did was lower the number of places where the devices were built to lower costs and use all inside management.

FYI, John Chen stated that he inherited the Foxconn plan from "outgoing BlackBerry leadership".
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-23-13 12:08 AM