Hi all,

First off, I'm sorry if any of these have been asked before; its not easy searching through thousands of great posts!

1. I live in United Arab Emirates. The latest BB we have here is currently the Curve 8900.
    My question is, does anyone know of any phone coming out anytime soon that would work here and is better than the 8900? I've heard about the Tour but confused as to whether that has a sim card slot or not so I can use it here! If it does, anyone know the approx. worldwide release date?

2. If I recall correctly, the telecom providers here tell you not to use 3g on the BB (Bold) but to use Edge. If I'm at home or a place with a hotspot, is it faster for me to access the net using WiFi or the always on Edge?

3. Whilst using WiFi and being always on, can calls be made/received too?

4. I'm sure many of you know that certain sites on the Internet are blocked & censored here. Whilst there are programs to use other proxy's or free VPN's on the computer, is there any such software for the BB? Again, not 100% sure, but I would assume the ISP's would censor the BB browsing too?

5. No surprise over here, but VOIP software such as skype and anything similar is blocked here. Is there any BB application I can use to make voice calls to others on the BB? Hope you know what I mean.

Apologies for all the questions, and thank you in advance for any help received!

Take care all!

Okay, just checked the telecom's website - it says High quality GPRS/Edge Network Coverage.
    Last edited by ineedacoolnick; 06-24-09 at 08:25 PM.
    06-24-09 08:11 PM
    1. Tour is CDMA so it won't work on UAE unless your local carrier will released a version like that.

2. WiFi is much faster than EDGE

3. Yes, you can receive/make calls

4. Not sure

No surprise over here, but VOIP software such as skype and anything similar is blocked here.
    Then no use to look for another apps. As you said, it blocks any apps that similar to skype.
    06-24-09 08:17 PM
    2. Wi-Fi is faster than 3G or EDGE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 08:20 PM
    Hi, thanks for the extremely quick reply!
    About the skype bit being blocked etc, I guess I explained it wrong. Access to such sites are blocked, but once the software is installed on your computer, you *usually* can make calls.
    So is there any such VOIP s/w for the BB I could use?

So to clarify, WIFI can always be on, say when I'm at home, and the BB functions as normal 100% in all aspects?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think its Edge that's used. Its definitely not 3g since some BB's don't have it anyway. Is there any other thing it could be other than edge and 3g?

Thanks again!
    06-24-09 08:22 PM
    Okay, just checked the telecom's website - it says High quality GPRS/Edge Network Coverage.
    06-24-09 08:24 PM
    No matter what high quality is that, It's still GPRS and EDGE. 3G is just a bonus on the features. Once you have subscribe on BIS/BES, it will automatically push all your e-mails. If most of the time your surfing thru BB device, then 3G is a must.
    06-24-09 08:28 PM
    No matter what high quality is that, It's still GPRS and EDGE. 3G is just a bonus on the features. Once you have subscribe on BIS/BES, it will automatically push all your e-mails. If most of the time your surfing thru BB device, then 3G is a must.
    Thanks, but the 8900 doesn't have 3G, does it? So I'd be stuck with GPRS.

I've used it on a friends bold and wasn't too impressed with the browser speed. Then again, I didn't have anything to compare it to.
    So is there any other BB coming out soon worth waiting for?

Thanks!
    06-24-09 08:30 PM
    8900 is a solid form factor. I prefer that one compare to bold. It's all depend on your preference. You can go to your carrier and have some test. I think some carrier is US can purchase any model and let you upgrade for free within 30 days.

06-24-09 08:39 PM
    They don't have anything like that here. Once you buy it, byebye! lol
    Don't really like the bold; do like the 8900 but want it to be fast enough to use for data, that's why I don't mind waiting for something else. Thanks for replying anyhow; very useful info!
    06-24-09 08:44 PM
    I thought 3G is not possible in your country? Then 8900 is a good choice. I think 8900 is much faster and large memory than bold. You can still use wifi for data to have a better speed. I'm using curve 8320 and 90% wifi on home and office that's why I don't have any plan to upgrade on 3G model unit. Weird, why your carrier don't want to enable 3g in your area?

06-24-09 08:50 PM
    3G is possible over here. Its been around for a few years now I think. I've never used it, but I don't think coverage is 'everywhere'.

Since your so helpful, I have a question regarding SMS's/MMS's/emails etc.
    Where are these stored? on the built in memory, or can they be stored on the sd card? I think I heard there is a limit to attachment sizes in emails in the BB, is that true? thanks!
    06-25-09 09:55 AM
    Hi,

It is stored on Built In Memory. As fas as I know we can't transfer that on SD card.

HTH
    06-25-09 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD