http://www.therecord.com/opinion/edi...-help-them]RIM helped us, let

Small editorial follow-up to Tuesdays local article about City Council making an exception to a city policy. RIM will be allowed to hang banners around the cities for the launch of BB10. They will also be hosting public skating parties in both downtowns for any local folk. Anyone who lives in Kitchener-Waterloo region and doesn't know about BB10 launch has been living under a rock... but the extra advertising and publicity can only help maintain the momentum. 13 DAYS!!

Which brings us to the unveiling of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones that could make or break RIM’s fortunes: It happens on Jan. 30. RIM wants to mark the occasion with skating parties at Kitchener City Hall and Waterloo Town Square and, as well, by hanging banners from light poles in the downtowns of both communities.

Waterloo has no specific policy that would bar such a corporate display. Kitchener does. But its city council was right to waive this prohibition for RIM. While, in the interest of fairness, it should at least consider to do the same for other companies, the city would be on solid ground if it said RIM is the exception to its rule.

Research In Motion has done so much for this region, Kitchener included, and it deserves all of our thanks and encouragement. Hanging a few of its banners in public spaces is a small thing to do in return.
    01-17-13 08:19 AM
    I think its cool. In many ways, they have pre-paid the region and a little support in return is not a big deal as far as this Waterloo citizen is concerned.

There are already some fairly ignorant comments over in that links comment section. Sad. If people can't be constructive without being rude then I wish they would just put their keyboards away or move on to the next story.
    01-17-13 08:30 AM
    Believe it or not, there are many around here that do not know of the new OS.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-17-13 08:30 AM
    ^ I think that most people in our region are aware that it's coming. That's not to say that they all like it or care. Many do care though.
    01-17-13 09:06 AM
    ^ I think that most people in our region are aware that it's coming. That's not to say that they all like it or care. Many do care though.
    I've talked to quite a few that knew nothing of it. However, with them rolling out a campaign in both downtown and uptown with banners and flags, it will no longer be a mystery I'm super curious to see what they actually end up doing with this.
    01-17-13 09:11 AM