I know it's a wireless protocol for playing the phone's media on a TV (or am I wrong about this? ), but is there more to it? Does the TV require additional hardware? Does it have to be DLNA compliant?

TIA for the help.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 12:22 PM
    I know it's a wireless protocol for playing the phone's media on a TV (or am I wrong about this? ), but is there more to it? Does the TV require additional hardware? Does it have to be DLNA compliant?

TIA for the help.

Posted via CB10
    You've got it in general, yes.
    Although it's more convenient to have a TV that is DLNA built-in, it's not necessary. I have a Toshiba 52" TV that is not "smart". Because it has 4 HDMI ports, I bought a WDTV. The WDTV is DLNA compliant, so it's hooked up to the TV and I can stream to it with my phone.
    You need to have a good wifi router for this to work well.
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-16-14 12:33 PM
    Yes, DLNA is a wireless protocol to share media over wifi.

The Z10, Z30 and Q10 all support DLNA.

In my case my TV does not support DLNA but my Blu-Ray player does so I simply set my TV to my Blu-Ray and stream my media to that.

It works great.

Another up and coming standard is MiraCast which allows you to stream a mirror image of your phones screen to you TV via wifi.

Of course your TV or some component connected to it has to be compatible for this to work too.

The Z30 and Q10 both support MiraCast but the Z10 lacks the hardware so does not.

Z10
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-16-14 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So if I don't have unlimited Internet service, it looks like DLNA streaming will take a sizeable chunk out of it. I'm on Rogers basic plan, and thanks to the kids' surfing habits, we sometimes bump into our monthly limit. Looks like another reason to switch to Tek Savvy.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 07:36 PM
    Dnla doesn't use your phone plan, it works over your homes wifi network. Your phone and TV or other dlna media devices have to all be on the same network/ router
    02-16-14 08:54 PM
    Yes, DLNA is a wireless protocol to share media over wifi.
    DLNA actually has nothing to do with WiFi at all. I was using it long before I had WiFi. It's simply a IP network protocol that allows media sharing over the network. WiFi or wired both work just fine, but wired usually is more reliable, as WiFi is more prone to interference and other network lag.
    02-16-14 09:21 PM

TIA for the help.

Posted via CB10
    Here are a couple of links to read.

Digital Living Network Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DLNA: what it is and what you need to know | News | TechRadar
    ALToronto likes this.
    02-16-14 09:40 PM
    I was trying my phone with a couple brands namely Samsung and Sony.

First I tried connecting my phone via Miracast and the Samsung TV recognise but won't connect with my phone.
    And at the same time, I noticed my phone picking up another TV which is a Sony TV some 20 meters from where I stand.
    I showed the connections screen to the salesman and he was quite surprised that my BlackBerry could connect with other brands. He was convinced by his supervisor that we need to have a Samsung brand phone to connect via miracast.

Of course, I show the screen to the supervisor and heads off from his outlet to the Sony outlet across..

And upon reaching the Sony outlet I tested again, and I caught multiple Sony TVs connection available.

I tested with a 47" and played games, replying bbm using his TV screen and the open minded Sony salesman was even surprised that the connection was super smooth compared to even their own brand phone.

Suffice to say, Samsung lost a sale due to the lack of connection between their TV and my phone.
    And I was sold to the Sony brand even more now.

And how I was surprised of the way miracast simple connections and how smooth the TV mirrored my phone. The game play and apps opening closing was super smooth.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    02-16-14 10:28 PM
    DLNA actually has nothing to do with WiFi at all. I was using it long before I had WiFi. It's simply a IP network protocol that allows media sharing over the network. WiFi or wired both work just fine, but wired usually is more reliable, as WiFi is more prone to interference and other network lag.
    Relative to his phone, it uses wifi. No wired networks on a phone.

Z10
    02-17-14 12:27 PM
    Relative to his phone, it uses wifi. No wired networks on a phone.
    Obviously, but the protocol itself isn't WiFi-specific, as he stated.
    02-17-14 12:33 PM