Its CLEARLY not a myth if its on CNN

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

OH and the Blackberry Storm gets a very breif mention around 3:30-3:40
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-14-09 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Content moderation, inflammatory
    09-14-09 06:07 AM
    Blackberry is the smartest phone till now and you can't ignour that!!!!!!
    09-14-09 06:25 AM
    I used rice about 2 months ago and it went well. Curve back in biz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 07:38 AM
    I have used the rice method twice. Hubby has a habit of dropping phones in puddles, and other reservoirs. Rice for at least 12+ hours, then wrap in a pillowcase or other thin cloth and place it in the sun for a few hours. Both phones came back to life--with few side effects from the water.
    09-14-09 05:06 PM
    Good to know! It seems like it would work. If it doesn't, I can always try my mother-in-law's christmas cookies... They're really dry!!

09-14-09 06:26 PM
    my last phone died because of water damage>>>wish i knew this then
    09-21-09 10:11 PM
    It has worked many times. Why do you think diners have put rice in salt shakers for so many years?

Rice is a nice, natural dessicant.

09-21-09 10:23 PM
    My wife pointed out something most people miss. Rice contains starches that are released when it becomes wet. My sister used the rice method and it was a mess. Rice dust in the phone and sticky stuff all over the outside. If you must use the rice myth, for pete sake don't put the phone ON or IN the rice. Put it on a plate in a sealed container that contains the rice. I still recommend decicant packs (silica gel).
    Last edited by barbwyr; 09-22-09 at 05:58 PM.
    09-21-09 11:30 PM
    What worked for me.... I left my phone in a car in the summer for a couple of days... Dried it out and it worked fine.

09-22-09 06:28 AM
    worked for me, I just couldn't get past the image of my beloved in the toilet, so I replaced it.
    09-22-09 10:09 AM
    follow the link in my signature. Most people experience success with rice merely because their device wasn't that damaged in the first place. The drawing power of rice isn't that great. If it was, I wouldn't be able to buy a 40lb bag of it that comes in cloth, not plastic at the supermarket.
    09-22-09 10:17 AM
    We have recommended rice for phones for a while because rice is known to absorb water .. Not news to me

09-22-09 12:29 PM
    We have recommended rice for phones for a while because rice is known to absorb water .. Not news to me

You are correct, but it absorbs water at such a slow rate that the mechanics of using it to draw water out of a wet BB just isn't there. If you think about it, water is boiled to allow the rice to absorb it. This is why rice is more myth than fact. If you really want to draw the moisture out to insure total dryness of the keys and crevases, silica gels are the better option. Of course the alcohol method as suggested by McCraken is a far superior method of potentially saving your device.
    09-22-09 06:03 PM
    Hey i was just wondering if anybody new if it worked for salt water? Just dropped my storm in the ocean and was wondering if i could do anything. Luckily i came upon this
    09-22-09 06:26 PM
    Hey i was just wondering if anybody new if it worked for salt water? Just dropped my storm in the ocean and was wondering if i could do anything. Luckily i came upon this
    See the link in McCrakens post. You need to get the salt out of it ASAP.
    09-22-09 06:43 PM
    They'll put anything on TV these days.
    09-22-09 08:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD