Speculation of course, though it does seem Lenovo are serious about a possible acquisition Of BlackBerry.

Interesting times.

Lenovo smartphone sales rocket amid BlackBerry speculation - Telegraph
    LROBLES46 likes this.
    08-16-13 02:31 AM
    Should be interesting...
    Speculation of course, though it does seem Lenovo are serious about a possible acquisition Of BlackBerry.

Interesting times.

Lenovo smartphone sales rocket amid BlackBerry speculation - Telegraph
    keypad likes this.
    08-16-13 02:33 AM
    So this means we will be swapping the red maple leaf for the red hammer and sickle?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using CB Forums mobile app
    bekkay and keypad like this.
    08-16-13 02:34 AM
    At least they didn't destroy the reputation of IBM laptops when they took them over a decade ago.

I think this would be the a great deal to save BB, how does the Chinese element and the Canadian government stance work though?

but would Bb10 survive though? My bet is no. Blackberry badged androids in the future?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    app_Developer, keypad and bekkay like this.
    08-16-13 02:38 AM
    At least they didn't destroy the reputation of IBM laptops when they took them over a decade ago.

I think this would be the a great deal to save BB, how does the Chinese element and the Canadian government stance work though?

but would Bb10 survive though? My bet is no. Blackberry badged androids in the future?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The US will make their voices heard and opinions known regarding the " security Threat " Chinese tech companies pose, but in the end Canada has to do its best to save one of its most successful companies.

A sale may not be the ideal first choice, but Thor said, Nothing is off the table, so who knows how this will play out.
    08-16-13 02:57 AM
    Just like IBM, we will lose the name BlackBerry. Only left is Lenovo Z10, Lenovo Q10 and so on and so forth. Byebye BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:23 AM
    Just like IBM, we will lose the name BlackBerry. Only left is Lenovo Z10, Lenovo Q10 and so on and so forth. Byebye BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Nope BlackBerry means much more in terms of branding than z or q. Similar to Thinkpad. But I don't see this happening. A Chinese firm buying the most secure mobile industry in NA...

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 03:26 AM
    Lenovo make some decent android phones but currently they don't seem to market them in Europe. My guess is that lenovo would just rebadge their existing phones as BlackBerry in certain markets, bag a few patents, run the qnx and bes business for a couple of years before deciding to keep or sell on.
    But you never know? They could produce BlackBerry 10 and 7 devices cheaper so they may give it a shot. Let's just hope they're getting peaved with google/android...

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    08-16-13 03:42 AM
    I think lenovo/ blackberry deal will definitely happen but I predict a joint venture over acquisition. Lenovo doesn't have the funds to outright buy blackberry nor would the Canadian government allow it.

Posted via CB10
    keypad, Coach57 and jagrlover like this.
    08-16-13 03:45 AM
    I use Lenovo laptops and frankly they are better than the big guys' HP, Dell, etc.

I would absolutely trust Lenovo to do right by us so this would be great news.

Conversely if Dell or HP bought BB, bye bye baby.

Ironic.
    08-16-13 03:55 AM
    Whatever happens, BB needs a large capital injection to aid marketing and cheaper handset manufacturing & roll out.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    08-16-13 03:59 AM
    Looking at it from Lenovo's side, merging with BlackBerry makes sense since they target the low-end phone market in Mainland China which they can extend to the emerging markets where BB has a strong presence. Lenovo can finance the purchase of BB by issuing shares and maybe use part of their $3.4 billion in cash reserves. It will also give Lenovo a chance to enter the high-end market as they can easily bump up the specs of Z30 or future models with their manufacturing system. The Thinkpad laptop is also known as a businessman's tool which matches nicely with the BlackBerry business phone image. As for the Canadian and U.S. government's concerns, I don't have a f****ing clue.
    08-16-13 04:06 AM
    There would be many security concerns, from the US and Canada, but the biggest problem with Blackberry is their management team , and their marketing team, I am at complete shock at the complete lack of interest with their products. The Z10 is a great phone but it is not marketed properly, when Apple is electrocuting consumers and Android is having another malware attack this is the time for Blackberry to state it's security. I sometimes wonder why they do not promote the security of a Blackberry phone, it's very perplexing ,if I owned a business I would want the most secure phone for my employees,
    08-16-13 04:14 AM
    Blackberry in the hands of China?
    Might as well put Android on it.
    And people cry about Google.
    08-16-13 04:18 AM
    I think a Lenovo acquisition of Blackberry could happen; but, not in the near term. Blackberry is currently too expensive and there are many regulatory hurdles.

Blackberry in the hands of China?
    Might as well put Android on it.
    And people cry about Google.
    Like the other poster suggested, I'm inclined to believe Lenovo will just keep its currently line up (Android and all) and slap Blackberry branding on top of it. Maybe they could make a couple keypad or slider devices as well.

Very few will remember Blackberry for BB10, anyway. BBM will now even work on an Android "Blackberry" phone.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 08-16-13 at 04:38 AM.
    08-16-13 04:24 AM
    Not sure how that will play out, somehow i dont think it will if security is the goal for the Canada and United States Govs.
    But anything is possible.
    08-16-13 04:27 AM
    With FUD like this:
    snip... Apple is electrocuting consumers and Android is having another malware attack...
    This is not surprising:
    snip...I am at complete shock at the complete lack of interest with their products. ... it's very perplexing ...snip
    08-16-13 04:31 AM
    There would be many security concerns, from the US and Canada, but the biggest problem with Blackberry is their management team , and their marketing team, I am at complete shock at the complete lack of interest with their products. The Z10 is a great phone but it is not marketed properly, when Apple is electrocuting consumers and Android is having another malware attack this is the time for Blackberry to state it's security. I sometimes wonder why they do not promote the security of a Blackberry phone, it's very perplexing ,if I owned a business I would want the most secure phone for my employees,
    I'm not sure if they do but if Lenovo supplies laptops, servers, or desktops to U.S. and Canadian government agencies or to private corporations that service those government agencies, how would phones be any different?
    CairnsRock and BlackQtCoder like this.
    08-16-13 04:31 AM
    Interesting interview here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ml#post9015752

Thought it was interesting that the Lenovo-USA president said they are a global company when asked if Lenovo was a Chinese company.
    I don't see a lot of marketing with Lenovo, yet people buy their products. I have a Thinkpad and really like it. Even if the screen isn't 1080P.
    My only gripe is its trackpad
    08-16-13 04:36 AM
    I'm not sure if they do but if Lenovo supplies laptops, servers, or desktops to U.S. and Canadian government agencies or to private corporations that service those government agencies, how would phones be any different?
    I read a recent news about the British Treasury banning Lenovo Laptops as they have found hardware backdoors built into them.
    I know for a fact that any networking equipment like EPABX, switches, VOIP equipment, routers etc the Indian government procures cannot be of Chinese origin. Govt. everywhere are waking up to the Chinese tactics for stealing sensitive data.
    Blackberry going to Lenovo would surely be the end of BB in govt and enterprise sector. Only the consumer sector would be foolish enough to pick up a Chinese product. But then again BB is getting beaten up in the consumer sector pretty bad.
    Edit: Here's a link
    MI6 and MI5 'refuse to use Lenovo computers' over claims Chinese company makes them vulnerable to hacking - Home News - UK - The Independent
    08-16-13 04:51 AM
    I read a recent news about the British Treasury banning Lenovo Laptops as they have found hardware backdoors built into them.
    I know for a fact that any networking equipment like EPABX, switches, VOIP equipment, routers etc the Indian government procures cannot be of Chinese origin. Govt. everywhere are waking up to the Chinese tactics for stealing sensitive data.
    Blackberry going to Lenovo would surely be the end of BB in govt and enterprise sector. Only the consumer sector would be foolish enough to pick up a Chinese product. But then again BB is getting beaten up in the consumer sector pretty bad.
    MI6 and MI5 'refuse to use Lenovo computers' over claims Chinese company makes them vulnerable to hacking - Home News - UK - The Independent

Thanks, an interesting read.

The nature of the world is insecure so they have to come to a workable compromise.
    08-16-13 05:05 AM
    Not foolish enough to pick up a Chinese product but how about a product that has Chinese-made parts?
    08-16-13 05:07 AM
    Best case scenario :

A partnership where BlackBerry has majority control over all software development (which would ease any concerns about security since the OS -- just like Windows on Lenovo laptops -- would be North American controlled), and Lenovo takes over the hardware side.

That would be almost perfect IMO.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 05:11 AM
    Not foolish enough to pick up a Chinese product but how about a product that has Chinese-made parts?
    Chinese made parts.... that's not just you which has come up with that observation. I can only speak for the Indian govt guidelines as I have first hand knowledge of that. The govt guidelines categorically state that no Chinese products or products having Chinese parts. That is why then more expensive Ericsson and Siemens equipments is sold along with Avaya etc.
    The Chinese threat is real and governments everywhere know about it. We can leave the African tin pot nations and south American nations. They have nothing to steal anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Etios and danprown like this.
    08-16-13 05:13 AM
    Best case scenario :

A partnership where BlackBerry has majority control over all software development (which would ease any concerns about security since the OS -- just like Windows on Lenovo laptops -- would be Canadian controlled), and Lenovo takes over the hardware side.

That would be almost perfect IMO.

Posted via CB10
    If you read the linked articles, it is precisely the lenovo hardware that governments have a problem with.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 05:15 AM
133 123 ...