On April 29, two months into the quarter in which only 2.7 million BB10 devices were sold, Heins said the following about the launch of the Q10:

We have very, very good first signs already after the launch in the U.K. This is going into the installed base of more than 70 million BlackBerry users so we have quite some expectations. We expect several tens of million of units, he said.
    Several tens of millions of Q10s? That means 20 million Q10s at a minimum. With a typical one year device life, that means that Thor expected to sell a minimum of 1.6 million Q10s a month, or five million Q10s a quarter.

Could Heins have possibly believed this when he was two months into a quarter in which he only sold 2.7 million BB10 units?

This has not gotten much attention but it is as deceptive as anything that I have ever heard a CEO say. At best, this is delusional.

BlackBerry Rises as CEO Sees Q10 Selling Tens of Millions - Bloomberg
    06-29-13 09:48 AM
    On April 29, two months into the quarter in which only 2.7 million BB10 devices were sold, Heins said the following about the launch of the Q10:

Several tens of millions of Q10s? That means 20 million Q10s at a minimum. With a typical one year device life, that means that Thor expected to sell a minimum of 1.6 million Q10s a month, or five million Q10s a quarter.

Could Heins have possibly believed this when he was two months into a quarter in which he only sold 2.7 million BB10 units?

This has not gotten much attention but it is as deceptive as anything that I have ever heard a CEO say. At best, this is delusional.

BlackBerry Rises as CEO Sees Q10 Selling Tens of Millions - Bloomberg
    He's an absolute liar, he dropped a notch in my book when he started slandering the iphone in interviews, now I see him as a con artist that cannot be trusted on anything.
    06-29-13 09:53 AM
    If Sprint had the Q10 available, he would have sold at least 2,700,001 BB10 units.
    bekkay and h20work like this.
    06-29-13 10:04 AM
    They tend to keep them alive longer that that on a global basis. It will probably be in production internationally for two. For example, the 9900 came out in Aug 2011 and is still on sale. Probably it will become a 'budget model in its second year' as its successor takes over.
    06-29-13 10:06 AM
    Seems like it would be illegal for a company's CEO to publicly talk about achieving10s of millions of sales and then announce numbers like they just announced. I remember seeing the stock price go up after that news started getting circulated.

The liar had to of known how the devices were performing before he made that comment. Either he is really really dumb, or he is very dishonest and mislead people. Many of whom may have invested their money based on his lies.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-29-13 10:08 AM
    They tend to keep them alive longer that that on a global basis. It will probably be in production internationally for two. For example, the 9900 came out in Aug 2011 and is still on sale. Probably it will become a 'budget model in its second year' as its successor takes over.
    BlackBerry only plans to have six devices at any one time so I don't think so.

"Yes, we have teams working on BB10 for the PlayBook. " Thornton Heins March 8, 2013
    06-29-13 10:09 AM
    They said they were only having 6 NEW devices on the market at one time, I believe.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:21 AM
    They said they were only having 6 NEW devices on the market at one time, I believe.

Posted via CB10
    Can you call a return to BBOS a new device? It seems so. To me it looks like BlackBerry starts well but has no game plan to continue to the end.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    06-29-13 10:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm don't think that saying "new" changes anything. I still interpret that to mean they will be selling only six devices at a time.

But, let's say you're right and Q10 will be sold over two years and not one. Most device sales are when a model is fresh, not when it it old. You sell more at first and then sales taper off and newer models are introduced.

Reasonable people can play with the numbers but one thing is sure, On April 29, that kind of projection was delusional.
    bekkay likes this.
    06-29-13 10:47 AM
    It's not entirely impossible for the Q10 to sell in the 10's of millions. BlackBerry core fans love their keyboard and theirs millions of them.

The low numbers of Z10 does surprise me but it doesn't at the same time. People who want a qwerty keyboard will most probably get the Q10 or Q5 and they've barely touched US soil or anywhere else for that matter.

Maybe BlackBerry really should lower the cost for the Z10 and keep their qwerty model at a premium. That's what they're good at selling, apparently. The only way they could really sell their Z10 if they market it correctly.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 10:57 AM