I have been checking out Google`s plans for Android and it looks like they will remove the Dalvik virtual machine some time in the future.
    One of the more interesting changes in KitKat is a developer setting to switch the virtual machine runtime from Dalvik to ART. In English, that means basically ripping out the aging engine which runs all Android apps and replacing it with a souped-up new engine designed to take advantage of modern smartphones. Dalvik is the virtual machine that runs all of Android's apps�when you see Android apps running on other platforms like the Blackberry OS or on Linux, those platforms are implementing Dalvik.
    Now if this is true , will Blackberry support ART ?
    ART vs Dalvik - introducing the new Android runtime in KitKat — Infinum
    Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks Crack berry crew!!!!!
    02-11-14 11:58 PM
    I can't really speak on what it would take or if it's possible, but I'd assume if the kernel can run a dalvik runtime it could also run a ART runtime. I'm sure someone else can correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-12-14 12:30 AM
    Art still way too early in development. Samsung hasn't even given it to us yet on initial Kitkat offering
    02-12-14 12:36 AM
    Yeah it might take some time. But that does not mean BlackBerry should ignore this.

I'm not sure if implementing the Android RunTime in BB10 would be possible due to legal obstacles.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:45 AM
    Android with art runtime is still an open source, BlackBerry can still make it work if Google takes dalvik off and causes issues on BlackBerry android runtime.

My answer on OP's question; yes and no. Some apps are art and dalvik ready.... some are not. So it would depend on the app.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 01:06 AM
    Not to mention that any change over won't occur for a very long time. Making all previous Android apps stop working with new phones removes the main reason to get Android in the first place. If the difference is big, companies will have to support both for a while. If the difference is small, BlackBerry can easily update the OS.
    02-12-14 01:11 AM
    My understanding is that ART is just a different way of running the same *.apk packages. If this is the case, BlackBerry's own Android Runtime capacity to run current *.apk packages (2.3.3 - 4.2.2) will not be affected in any way.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-12-14 01:28 AM
    I read about this a little while ago.
    I believe the same that I will not be impossible to change from dalvik to ART

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:27 AM
    I don't know that it will be a major issue in the short term, but herein, IMHO, lies the conceptual problem with the runtime: BBOS is almost forced to keep up with the whims of a competing platform.
    02-12-14 09:43 AM
    02-18-14 12:53 PM
    02-18-14 01:04 PM
    Official Response :

“You have CEOs of major companies who whip out their BlackBerrys because of the keyboard. They don’t care about apps,” Chen said, adding: “From a security point of view I’m starting to worry about where these apps are actually coming from.”

We are in the denial stage.
    02-18-14 01:17 PM
    But it seems implied that some of the 'cheap' androids are made with hardware that's optimise for older versions of the OS, if this is true this sets a 'bottom bar' for the quality of handsets which is where they get the phasing out of low end devices from,

If your device has to meet a certain hardware standard in order to be officially supported by an OS, your costs for materials may increase if you were using incompatible but cheaper hardware.

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-18-14 01:20 PM
    http://m.t3.com/news/new-google-rule...me-with-kitkat

What about this?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    KitKat is optimized to run on 512 MB RAM. They probably want to tone down on the fragmentation

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 01:21 PM
    KitKat is optimized to run on 512 MB RAM. They probably want to tone down on the fragmentation

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's what they said on the article, only 1.4 andorid devices running the latest software, it may be 'optimised' but that doesn't mean it's desirable, anyway thinking about it again this really only affects really low end smartphones ; but the thought is will it affect people won't versions of andorid ; nokia, Amazon..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-18-14 01:25 PM
    Official Response :

�You have CEOs of major companies who whip out their BlackBerrys because of the keyboard. They don�t care about apps,� Chen said, adding: �From a security point of view I�m starting to worry about where these apps are actually coming from.�

We are in the denial stage.
    How so? When was the last time you saw a CEO play angry birds?
    I would disagree with the keyboard portion though. Some people hate the physical keyboard. They much prefer a touch screen because they can type faster.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-18-14 01:56 PM
    I would disagree with the keyboard portion though. Some people hate the physical keyboard. They much prefer a touch screen because they can type faster.

Posted via CB10
    CEO's of major companies' not all CEO's so you're not disagreeing

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    02-18-14 02:00 PM
    The denial isn't that he's wrong about CEOs not being that concerned about apps on their own phones; it's about the fact that BB can sell enough phones to CEOs to sustain the hardware side of the business. I've said before that regulated enterprise businesses are one area where BB still has some leverage, but even that is a shrinking market for BB, because at least a few of those companies have found other options they can live with among the competition, who is eager to chip away at even this market. And while these regulated enterprises (including government agencies) are among the largest companies in the West, they still only represent a few million users in total, and that's not a big enough market for long-term sustainability of the hardware market. It's BB's best bet in the short run, to be sure, but once the low-hanging fruit have been dealt with, either by signing with BB or adopting a competitor, BB is going to be facing a steep wall with consumer/small-medium business adoption, and that wall grows taller, thicker, and wider with every passing day. There's real danger of BB painting itself into a corner by being forced to make short-term decisions rather than long-term ones due to financial pressures.

As I've said before, BB as a company will survive - they have enough revenue from software and services to keep the doors open, and it would take colossal errors to bankrupt the company as a whole, but the company that survives may well be out of the hardware business entirely and be a fraction of even today's size. THAT is why there is concern about Chen being in denial about the importance of apps.
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    02-18-14 09:13 PM
    Quote:
    Chen said, adding: "From a security point of view I'm starting to worry about where these apps are actually coming from"
    Unquote.
    I think that comment demonstrates a healthy concern for the nature of the existing Android app ecosystem - and how they will integrate into BB10.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    02-19-14 03:46 AM
    Quote:
    Chen said, adding: "From a security point of view I'm starting to worry about where these apps are actually coming from"
    Unquote.
    I think that comment demonstrates a healthy concern for the nature of the existing Android app ecosystem - and how they will integrate into BB10.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    A dumb knock on Androids when he should be including these apps in a BlackBerry store or remarking that Balance under BB10 limits android apps on the business side. Reminds me of the Heins comments on iOS and tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-19-14 09:49 AM
    I've said on another thread that Google may well be looking at a solution that would lock ALL apps submitted to the Play Store to the Google Services Framework, or some other means that would prevent those apps from running on non-Google-Certified versions of Android. BB isn't the only company who is using or is planning to use Android apps to fill their app gap; Jolla Sailfish, Firefox, Tizen, and others (even Microsoft has discussed it!). I think it's only a matter of time before Google moves to prevent that, and cut all of these other platforms off of Google Play.

Of course, the app developers own their apps, and nothing would prevent them from CHOOSING to release a non-Google version of their app to, say, the Amazon app store or 1market, but you would be limited to the developers who chose that. Downloading apps from Google Play would no longer be viable, because they wouldn't run.

This is purely my own speculation, but I just can't see Google being okay with supplying their own competitors with an app ecosystem for much longer, especially since the other platforms can't support buying apps or in-app purchases, thus robbing developers of money.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-19-14 12:04 PM
    I don't think Google will actively prevent non-certified devices from using the Playstore apps w/o GMS but yes the convergence of predictive search and apps will make it impossible to separate Google backend services from individual apps in the Playstore as apps that don't integrate into Google Now will be at a competitive disadvantage. Basically the long term goal that Google has it that your phone/device is a just an access point into the cloud that knows what you want to know/do before you do like the Star Trek LCARs
    Last edited by Ment; 02-19-14 at 01:55 PM.
    02-19-14 01:44 PM
    I agree that LOTS of apps are using more and more of Google's excellent cloud services, as you state, because they can add so much value and capability to an app, and increase its ability to compete in the market. But there are plenty of apps that really don't need these services, but are still missing out on sales because they're being used on other platforms. As we see that happen more and more, I think there is a greater chance that Google will put a stop to it. Just my personal opinion of course - I don't claim to have any inside knowledge. I don't vacation with Sergey or anything. LOL.
    02-19-14 07:04 PM