View Poll Results: Is it possible for BlackBerry to make the slider sexy again?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we can!

46 79.31%
  • No we cannot!

12 20.69%
    No.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:29 PM
    Yes, I loved my Torch! Would love an updated version!
    04-28-13 10:31 PM
    I would take the idea they had with the hinges and combine it with the drawer design. A keyboard that slides out of the bottom and can be flipped up onto the bottom of the screen where your virtual keyboard would be. It is the only way I can see having a 4-5" screen with a slide out keyboard. Obviously the biggest issue with this idea is the parts. It would not be easy to pull off and would likely be way too easy to break. A Z10 with a slide out keyboard would be too long and awkward. A Q10 sized phone with the drawer is intriguing but would not appeal to folks who have gotten used to the screen real estate of larger phones. I would be interested in buying a slider since I miss the keyboard so much but I don't think anyone will be making one that would interest me anytime soon. A physical keyboard accessory that I could clip onto the bottom of the screen on my Z10 and use over bluetooth would be nice too.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 07:50 AM
    I would take the idea they had with the hinges and combine it with the drawer design. A keyboard that slides out of the bottom and can be flipped up onto the bottom of the screen where your virtual keyboard would be. It is the only way I can see having a 4-5" screen with a slide out keyboard. Obviously the biggest issue with this idea is the parts. It would not be easy to pull off and would likely be way too easy to break. A Z10 with a slide out keyboard would be too long and awkward. A Q10 sized phone with the drawer is intriguing but would not appeal to folks who have gotten used to the screen real estate of larger phones. I would be interested in buying a slider since I miss the keyboard so much but I don't think anyone will be making one that would interest me anytime soon. A physical keyboard accessory that I could clip onto the bottom of the screen on my Z10 and use over bluetooth would be nice too.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 08:17 AM
    Nokia N97

HTC Desire Z

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 11:47 AM

Man, those devices are ugly.

And FWIW - I have never liked horizontal format devices either - sliders or otherwise. Can't use them one-handed.
    04-29-13 12:43 PM
    Pinch and zoom
    But I still don't know if I have to launch the browser. CB10's built in browser doesn't flow the text like the normal native Z10 browser.

Anyone using CB10 1.4? Do the polls show up?

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10 10.0.10.85 on Rogers
    04-29-13 01:03 PM
    Man, those devices are ugly.

And FWIW - I have never liked horizontal format devices either - sliders or otherwise. Can't use them one-handed.
    These are just some exemples, of past devices.

The Sony Ericsson P800 and the N97 were milestones, for their manufacturers.
    They may be ugly though, there you are right xD

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 01:39 PM
    These are just some exemples, of past devices.

The Sony Ericsson P800 and the N97 were milestones, for their manufacturers.
    They may be ugly though, there you are right xD

At one time I envied the HTC "Tilt" device, which was not available on my carrier. I ended up getting a used HTC/Verizon 6800 "Mogul" device. (Which ran Windows Mobile 6.x)

It was a horizontal slider. I think I still have it around here somewhere. What a dumb device. Had a "collapsible stylus" that you needed to use for certain things on the screen. Kind of neat to use Windows software on it, but most of the phone and PDA functionality was lame, and it was afflicted with Microsoft bloat.
    04-29-13 01:46 PM
    At one time I envied the HTC "Tilt" device, which was not available on my carrier. I ended up getting a used HTC/Verizon 6800 "Mogul" device. (Which ran Windows Mobile 6.x)

It was a horizontal slider. I think I still have it around here somewhere. What a dumb device. Had a "collapsible stylus" that you needed to use for certain things on the screen. Kind of neat to use Windows software on it, but most of the phone and PDA functionality was lame, and it was afflicted with Microsoft bloat.
    The good old times

We had some very interesting concepts, concerning sliders, over the years.
    I think if BBRY can invent new materials, they should be able to invent a new slider concept.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 08:50 AM
    We had some very interesting concepts, concerning sliders, over the years.
    I think if BBRY can invent new materials, they should be able to invent a new slider concept.

Specifically in regards to my longstanding interest in that "Blackberry Blade" concept device, flexible OLED screens and cover-glass are now a reality, so the most significant obstacles to production of that sort of design are now seemingly solved.
    04-30-13 09:03 AM
    I agree.

I was also thinking about the "Glass Weave" back on the Q10.
    BBRY seems to think different right now

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 09:19 AM
    Looking at those landscape sliders....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Blade, but I keep hearing it's not feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Toodeurep likes this.
    04-30-13 10:41 AM
    Looking at those landscape sliders....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the Blade, but I keep hearing it's not feasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    What about:

I had one of those

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 10:59 AM
    Rather than making a slider, better make an accessory like bluetooth keyboard with spare battery that can slide down from Z10.

Posted via CB10
    KiLuMaNaTi likes this.
    04-30-13 11:26 AM
    I give my 9810 about a 8 out of 10. If it had a slightly larger keyboard and more "horsepower" it would be PERFECT. I would camp out for a BB10 version. It's nice to see I am not alone.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-30-13 11:52 AM
    What about:

I had one of those

Nokia made very few CDMA devices so I never had the opportunity to own many of their keyboard models or smartphones. They were way more common in Europe than in the USA.

During the time they were making a lot of devices like that I was using Palm devices, which had some nice advantages. Unfortunately they hit a wall and stopped improving their legacy platform, and like Apple (with "Copland") had spent significant time/money going down a different development path only to abandon it and start over. Their new product, "WebOS" was released IMHO before it was ready, and I returned the device I bought within a month due to that and never bothered with them again. That's when I switched to Blackberry, because the Blackberry was the only other product with a good vertical form-factor, one-hand-usable physical-keyboard smartphone.
    04-30-13 02:37 PM
    Can you say.....someone better make an ultimate protection case for a slider bb10.
    04-30-13 02:42 PM
    I would love for there to be a BB10 Slider device! I loved how you could have the full touch screen AND a keyboard when you wanted one, best of both! As much as I love my Torch, I did wish it had a keyboard like the 9930.
    05-04-13 02:13 PM
    I've had several sliders before. Samsung's were the most solid. Nokia's the worst. Torch somewhere in between.

I think it was a nokia that could slide both ways, revealing media playback keys below the top when slid slightly towards the bottom. Like a hardware hub peek.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    05-04-13 05:24 PM
    Loved my torch 9810 so I would def consider buying a slider bb10 phone if one was made. Best of both worlds

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 05:45 PM
    I've had several sliders before. Samsung's were the most solid. Nokia's the worst. Torch somewhere in between.

I think it was a nokia that could slide both ways, revealing media playback keys below the top when slid slightly towards the bottom. Like a hardware hub peek.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    Nokia N95 or N96.
    I had the N95 in black with 8gb of internal hdd space.

I mostly used sliders until I received the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 05:55 PM
    Specifically in regards to my longstanding interest in that "Blackberry Blade" concept device, flexible OLED screens and cover-glass are now a reality, so the most significant obstacles to production of that sort of design are now seemingly solved.
    Blade for the next major BB10 device? Can we start a poll?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    05-04-13 06:50 PM
    Blade for the next major BB10 device? Can we start a poll?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Do it

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:52 PM
    If BBRY made a portrait BB10 slider, so long as it was thin enough..my only reaction would be

Could BlackBerry make the slider sexy again?-images.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:09 PM
79 1234