View Poll Results: Is it possible for BlackBerry to make the slider sexy again?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we can!

46 79.31%
  • No we cannot!

12 20.69%
    Personally, I liked the weight and the dimensions of the 9810 and 9800. I don't have big hands or small per say, just found the device to be very easily held. As others mentioned, I would definitley purchase the slider if it were using the 10 OS without hesitation, I would even sell all my other cwap to pay for it.
    04-27-13 10:16 AM
    I do think BlackBerry can make a great slider...they did with the 9800 and 9810. It is an engineering challenge to make the phone thinner yet wider (for the keyboard), but I do believe they have the personnel to make it happen. To make it easy to use one-handed would be a greater trick. The other issue is if there is enough consumer interest to make it worthwhile? I really like my 9810, but you have to admit that the Z10 and Q10 are two phones that fit most consumers perceived needs...touchscreen and touchscreen with qwerty. If a phone can be made that has close to the Z10's screen real estate and the Q10's keyboard, it would be the best of both worlds.

If BlackBerry can do it, I hope they do it prior to June when my upgrade time cometh!
    04-27-13 10:32 AM
    When I had the 9800 I liked the concept of it. But in actual use, I hated the hardware keyboard on it, and I found the slider mechanism on it to be a little too fragile.
    04-27-13 10:32 AM
    When I had the 9800 I liked the concept of it. But in actual use, I hated the hardware keyboard on it, and I found the slider mechanism on it to be a little too fragile.
    IMHO, this should remedy itself automatically, if you make the device bigger.
    When closed, the 9810 is a lot smaller than the Z10, even though 300% thicker

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 11:29 AM
    Title says it all. That is what this poll is all about.
    Please leave your thoughts here and vote for the poll

Every opinion is appreciated.

I had a Torch 9810 as my first BBRY, it wasn't really sexy but functional

And I want to know if the CB nation thinks that BBRY could add some sexiness back into the functionality of a Slider.

Latest patent shows off what could be a new BlackBerry 10 slider | CrackBerry.com
    I had one of these a long time ago and like it a lot. I like the idea, but I'm not sure BBRY can bring a sexy slider to the table. That being said I do know a lot of people that like the 9810 torch.

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-27-13 12:02 PM
    Last slide I had, a Nokia, flew out of my front shirt pocket while I was running and met my foot mid flight. Ended up in two pieces lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 02:42 PM
    Last slide I had, a Nokia, flew out of my front shirt pocket while I was running and met my foot mid flight. Ended up in two pieces lol.

Posted via CB10
    So you got two phones!
    Another strong point of a slider.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-27-13 02:55 PM
    My next phone nay be the newly patented BlackBerry slider.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-27-13 03:00 PM
    A slider grafted on a Z10 would be be much longer than a Note . Take a Q10 . Make it as wide as a galaxy S3 . Add width and height to the Q10 screen BUT keep the trackpad and call buttons . Add a slider KB wider and better than the Q10. There you have it ,the S10. (3.7 inch)
    lorax1284 likes this.
    04-27-13 03:08 PM
    There is an opportunity here for BlackBerry to deliver the ultimate BB10 device:

5" screen
    1920 x 1080 resolution
    Slider form factor
    Keyboard rivaling Q10/9900
    Wireless communications to the 9s, of course
    Induction charging
    Leading edge CPU & GPU
    And the clincher: hard send, end and TRACKPAD!

Charge $999 for it off contract, unlocked, pentaband.

If RIM could bother with the 9981, which was not worth the money from a features / specs perspective, the device I describe above would retail for less than the 9981 and set itself apart from the full touch screen rabble (BB10, WP8, iOS & Android included).

It continues to be my wish.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-27-13 05:07 PM
    If it looks like this it would be amazing

Attachment 155451

I have stated on many occasions that I would absolutely love such a device.

Interestingly, that concept was dreamed-up by a Canadian design house.

And now that "flexible Gorilla Glass" is on the way, I'd say the manufacturing challenges are disappearing quickly.

Lastly - I think the removal of the dedicated phone buttons and trackpad on the Z10 negatively impacted my productivity, even if BB10 gestures help in other ways. So I'll make BBRY a deal: manufacture the Blackberry Blade and I'll let you take away the menu and "back" keys as long as you leave the trackpad and call/hangup buttons.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    04-27-13 05:29 PM
    Re: keeping the trackpad/call/end buttons - looks like I'm not exactly a lone voice in the wilderness on this....

Add width and height to the Q10 screen BUT keep the trackpad and call buttons.

And the clincher: hard send, end and TRACKPAD!

Though I'd disagree on the induction charging, here are my reasons:

• Inefficient electrically
    • Probably interferes with magnetic holster detection and back-panel NFC antenna
    • Needless expense. Give me cheaper-to-implement, more efficient "charger contacts" any day
    04-27-13 05:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Mecca EL like this.
    04-27-13 05:55 PM
    I like the Blade concept (as I believe it was called). It looks sexy.

My first smartphone was a Nokia Slide. Loved using it, but it was never as easy to type on as my BlackBerry. My only issue with slides is how awkward all the ones I've tried are to hold and type, especially if you use your phone to bang out a lot of messages in a day. I think that's due to the additional thickness, or something with the balance. However, I do believe with the advances in tech BlackBerry could do it.
    04-27-13 06:05 PM

Posted via CB10

We want to say that about our sliders!
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 04-28-13 at 08:43 AM.
    Shanerredflag and Omnitech like this.
    04-27-13 06:39 PM
    I had one of these a long time ago and like it a lot. I like the idea, but I'm not sure BBRY can bring a sexy slider to the table. That being said I do know a lot of people that like the 9810 torch.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/imag...liderH4web.gif
    I had a Torch 9810 before my Z10 and it was/is a great full touch screen with a full keyboard. If BlackBerry brings out another slider similar to it I will be hooked.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-27-13 07:04 PM
    I had a Torch 9810 before my Z10 and it was/is a great full touch screen with a full keyboard. If BlackBerry brings out another slider similar to it I will be hooked.

Totally

The poll needs more votes!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 04:39 AM
    Totally

The poll needs more votes!!!

Posted via CB10
    Damn! I don't see the poll because I'm on CB10.

04-28-13 08:05 AM
    Damn! I don't see the poll because I'm on CB10.

Go through the browser

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:10 AM
    If it looks like this it would be amazing

Attachment 155451

This will drive the protective cover manufacturers nuts. Looks hot, but delicate.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 08:53 AM
    Posted via CB10
    If it is the Blade it will get converts to it.

04-28-13 08:56 AM
    If it is the Blade it will get converts to it.

Posted via CB10
    TimJohnSmith likes this.
    04-28-13 09:15 AM
    Go through the browser

Posted via CB10
    But then I need a magnifier on my Z10. I usually have to wait until I get home to use my PC browser.
    I wish there was some indication in the app that there is a poll attached.

04-28-13 06:32 PM
    But then I need a magnifier on my Z10. I usually have to wait until I get home to use my PC browser.
    I wish there was some indication in the app that there is a poll attached.

Pinch and zoom
    04-28-13 07:07 PM
    But then I need a magnifier on my Z10.

If you're stuck with one of the older Z10 firmware releases like I am, the browser has a horrible flaw where zooming does not re-wrap text, so zooming in on a page is basically worthless because most of the content ends up outside the visible area, and you have to scroll all over the place to see it.

That problem was resolved in one of the more recent 10.0.10.xx releases, luckily.
    04-28-13 07:32 PM
79 1234