Hey - Any news is good news Mocking BB & not mentioning WP is good in that it helps keep BB top of mind (good or bad)

I think the only thing that will kill Windows Phone is if Microsoft itself is bankrupt. Even if Windows Phone fails (and it isn't really failing) they will still trow a lot of money at it.

I really doubt it will be RIM that kills windows Phone. They have a lot of worries themselfs. I'm a big supporter of Blackberry, but if I see how the average human thinks of a Blackberry around here. Yesterday I saw a facebookthread about smartphones, praising iPhone and Samsung and mocking Blackberry (no word about Windows phone).
    Blackberry has a lot of work to do before they get popular again.
    12-27-12 01:56 PM
    PC's and Macs
    and Linux. Getting bigger all the time.
    12-27-12 04:41 PM
    That said, I don't think Windows Phone will do any better at overtaking BlackBerry 10 then Windows Mobile before it did at over taking BB OS. RIM has been schooling Microsoft in Mobile Computing for nearly 15 years and that's not going to change. .
    Windows Mobile WAS a big deal, much more successful than BB OS outside North America in its heydays. Not sure why many of you guys here are so ignorant of such things

Even in the US market, by 06 and 07, WM was on par with (or exceeding) RIM's efforts in terms of marketshare/sales

Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?-npd-us-smartphone-os-oct2011.jpg

And another

Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?-smartphone-platform-share.jpg

BlackBerry 10 has allot of advantages over Windows Phone. Being more feature complete out of the box and less buggy is the least of them.
    It's rather nonsensical to make this statement when BB10 isn't out yet, isn't it?

Microsoft however chose to deviate to far from the norm in terms of UI. This is confusing to users and a source of pain for developers. RIM replaced buttons with gestures, but otherwise the UI is slick but completely in line with the rest of the market. Meaning devs who want to port their apps can spend less time on a whole new UI, and consumers will feel right at home once they learn the basic gestures. RIM definitely has a long term advantage with the BB 10 UI compared to the Windows Phone UI..
    Since the WP devices have some of the highest customer satisfaction ratings on the likes of Amazon...and since the UI usually gets much praise from reviewers for being fresh, slick and intuitive, I think it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

I think with the 'home' and 'back' button, Microsoft is likely closer to the 'norm' in terms of UI than RIM's latest efforts.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 04:46 PM
    when you really think about it Apple has lower grade hardware and a slick OS yet they are beating out a lot.
    I think you mean "Apple HAD lower grade hardware and HAD a slick OS."
    At this point, Apple has mediocre hardware and a crappy ancient OS.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-27-12 04:53 PM
    Microsoft has done such an excellent job of attempting to kill WP8 itself, that RIM could only be charged with being an accessory after the fact
    12-27-12 04:55 PM
    No, they have decent hardware with a good os, just because you like one thing does not make the other bad
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-27-12 05:01 PM
    MS pockets are too deep to stay behind RIM.
    People said the same thing about Windows Mobile too ...
    Jake Storm and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-27-12 05:08 PM
    Windows Mobile WAS a big deal, much more successful than BB OS outside North America in its heydays. Not sure why many of you guys here are so ignorant of such things
    It's more a case of assuming Microsoft will walk in and dominate "because they're Microsoft and Microsoft has money". It doesn't work that way necessarily and I think it's ridiculous to under-estimate them but also to assume 'easy domination'.

Even in the US market, by 06 and 07, WM was on par with (or exceeding) RIM's efforts in terms of marketshare/sales
    What happened in 2008? 9? 10?

Remember, Microsoft was expected to 'obliterate' the BlackBerry. The same arguments being made now were made then. It didn't happen. Might it happen now? Sure. And it might not.
    Bobcat665 and BB_Bmore like this.
    12-27-12 05:12 PM
    Apple had and still have some of the best hardware in the business. The iPhones and iPads rank up there with the best when it comes to industrial design and power.
    iOS is FAR from being 'crappy' or 'ancient'.

I know this is a site for Blackberry lovers, but laying on the hyperbole to such ridiculous levels is rather hilarious.

As a fan of good tech all round, I pray the Good Lord never lets me sink down to this level of fanboyism!
    12-27-12 05:14 PM
    It's more a case of assuming Microsoft will walk in and dominate "because they're Microsoft and Microsoft has money". It doesn't work that way necessarily and I think it's ridiculous to under-estimate them but also to assume 'easy domination'.

What happened in 2008? 9? 10?

Remember, Microsoft was expected to 'obliterate' the BlackBerry. The same arguments being made now were made then. It didn't happen. Might it happen now? Sure. And it might not.
    The decline of WM is well documented...and it's largely due to the emergence of the iPhone and Android devices. Surely this cannot be the first time you're hearing this

As for the other stuff you said, I can't recall ever making any statement about Microsoft 'dominating'.
    12-27-12 05:21 PM
    just because its old doesn't mean its not slick, its a well coded OS atleast it was up until iOS6 even still it runs smoothly
    12-27-12 05:30 PM
    just because its old doesn't mean its not slick, its a well coded OS atleast it was up until iOS6 even still it runs smoothly
    +1 IOS 6 ruined my ipod 4th gen
    12-27-12 05:48 PM
    Dont make me laugh, even with BB10, it wont kill WP. RIM has enough of its own concerns as it stands right now
    12-27-12 06:18 PM
    The decline of WM is well documented...and it's largely due to the emergence of the iPhone and Android devices. Surely this cannot be the first time you're hearing this
    Oooh - a snotty poster! I like it!

The point still stands. Windows Mobile was not able to hold up.

As for the other stuff you said, I can't recall ever making any statement about Microsoft 'dominating'.
    I didn't say that you did. I was clarifying for you.
    Bobcat665 and sf49ers like this.
    12-27-12 06:36 PM
    On some devices. my last generation iPod Touch technically runs iOS 6 (and 5). And both were horrible laggy miserable experiences. In fact, the only thing slower in recent memory was my iMac running Mountain Lion.
    Jake Storm and Bobcat665 like this.
    12-27-12 06:38 PM
    and like the late Bill Cosby said, if you try to please everyone.....
    Unrelated comment: Same Bill Cosby of the Cosby show, Fat Albert etc??? That Bill Cosby is still alive unless of course you killed him
    12-27-12 06:52 PM
    Dont make me laugh, even with BB10, it wont kill WP. RIM has enough of its own concerns as it stands right now
    RIM's biggest concern is probably WP8...
    12-27-12 07:11 PM
    Why would BB be out in front? They havent put out anything new or competitive in a year. Dollar for dollar, there's a better alternative in iOS, Android, or WP8 than BB can offer right now. When BB10 launches, I think that will be different if RIM has set the stage right.

Prime display real estate goes two ways: It's selling well or the OEM pays for the spot.

2 years ago, Curves were flying off the shelves because they were free and offered a pretty comparable feature set. If BB10 launches with features that stack up with it's similarly priced competition, I think it will start being offered to customers more frequently.
    I agree
    12-27-12 07:46 PM
    Why would BB be out in front? They havent put out anything new or competitive in a year. Dollar for dollar, there's a better alternative in iOS, Android, or WP8 than BB can offer right now. When BB10 launches, I think that will be different if RIM has set the stage right.

Prime display real estate goes two ways: It's selling well or the OEM pays for the spot.

2 years ago, Curves were flying off the shelves because they were free and offered a pretty comparable feature set. If BB10 launches with features that stack up with it's similarly priced competition, I think it will start being offered to customers more frequently.
    I totally agree.
    12-27-12 08:20 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	npd-us-smartphone-os-oct2011.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	129679

And another

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smartphone-platform-share.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	129680

It's rather nonsensical to make this statement when BB10 isn't out yet, isn't it?

Since the WP devices have some of the highest customer satisfaction ratings on the likes of Amazon...and since the UI usually gets much praise from reviewers for being fresh, slick and intuitive, I think it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

I think with the 'home' and 'back' button, Microsoft is likely closer to the 'norm' in terms of UI than RIM's latest efforts.
    Yeah, and Microsoft is bragging about adding 75 000 apps in the last year. RIM will have more then that day one. How many will they add if the phones sell?

Speaking of sales, yeah I know, all 6 of you that bought Windows Phone love it. I get it, different strokes for different folks. Thing is, despite those glowing reviews and high satisfaction rates from the people who what the least capable smart phone on the market, cause really they just want a feature phone that has a big screen and crayola box colour scheme. That's great. I'm glad there is something for that crowd. But it has not met with mass market acceptance. Windows 7 was the most hyped, most marketed, and biggest flop in the history of mobile platforms. Windows 8 is just barely making an impact. So, if you love it great, but RIM stands a very good chance of making a stronger impact on the market in my honest opinion.
    lnichols and sf49ers like this.
    12-27-12 08:38 PM
    Yeah, and Microsoft is bragging about adding 75 000 apps in the last year. RIM will have more then that day one. How many will they add if the phones sell?

Speaking of sales, yeah I know, all 6 of you that bought Windows Phone love it. I get it, different strokes for different folks. Thing is, despite those glowing reviews and high satisfaction rates from the people who what the least capable smart phone on the market, cause really they just want a feature phone that has a big screen and crayola box colour scheme. That's great. I'm glad there is something for that crowd. But it has not met with mass market acceptance. Windows 7 was the most hyped, most marketed, and biggest flop in the history of mobile platforms. Windows 8 is just barely making an impact. So, if you love it great, but RIM stands a very good chance of making a stronger impact on the market in my honest opinion.
    WP's customer satisfaction rate is apparently so high that they have to come to a BB forum just to find things on a phone to complain about...
    12-27-12 08:46 PM

that 75k is doubling what they had, they now have 150+ in the app store. I think RIM will launch with over 100k native in appworld so they will be in good shape. There will be tons of android trash to weed thru to find the native apps though also.

And who is to say that WP kills off RIM? Yep that is right it could happen. Lets just wait a year and see where the big four are and what other surprises are out there.
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-27-12 09:00 PM

Such a strange world we live in when someone is sooo proud to show the whole world he does not understand the meaning of the world 'adding'.

Ah, the common, baseless assumption that anyone who speaks positively about anything must have owned one...
    Quick corrections:
    1) Windows 7 is not a mobile OS
    2) Perhaps you meant Windows Phone 7? It's still made a bigger splash than WebOS
    3) WP7 did not manage to meet mass market acceptance due to many well documented limitations. More importantly it served as a building block for WP8....
    4) ...Which is currently projected to sell pretty well. At current rate, I'd expect sales around the 8 million devices mark in 3 months or higher. Please note that this is more than some analysts like Misek have projected as 1st 3 months sales for BB10 for RIM. Will you call it a failure then, if those predictions are correct?
    12-27-12 11:11 PM
    I've read two articles so far saying the surface rt tablet and wp8 won't let you run one app on both devices with one single purchase. Is that correct? If so, they've already gimped themselves right from the starting gate when it comes to unified app ecosystems.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-28-12 01:34 AM
    I've read two articles so far saying the surface rt tablet and wp8 won't let you run one app on both devices with one single purchase. Is that correct? If so, they've already gimped themselves right from the starting gate when it comes to unified app ecosystems.
    they are 2 different systems. one is intel based the other is arm based.
    12-28-12 01:56 AM
230 ... 23456 ...