because symbian is THE burning platform.
    Yes - being replaced by Windows Phone.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    12-26-12 03:00 PM
    Contrary to popular believe on this forum, Lumia920's have been selling out everywhere.
    Rather than making declarations, how about waiting for Nokia's sales figures in January?

There's evidence to suggest that it is selling out and it is selling better than previous Windows Phones. There's also evidence to suggest that the stores in which is is "selling out" didn't get many in the first place.

Nokia's results in January will make it very clear how well it did.
    BB10FTW, jakie55 and JeepBB like this.
    12-26-12 03:03 PM
    Rather than making declarations, how about waiting for Nokia's sales figures in January?

There's evidence to suggest that it is selling out and it is selling better than previous Windows Phones. There's also evidence to suggest that the stores in which is is "selling out" didn't get many in the first place.

Nokia's results in January will make it very clear how well it did.
    from what i've been readign Nokia isn't able to supply very many, i read somewhere that they have only been able to produce 600 000 units a year or something, how true that is i have no clue and i don't remember if it was an article or a post on the forums, but if its true this is mostlikely the cause of stores being sold out as they are not able to produce many
    12-26-12 03:06 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is a FIRST PLACE SUPER PHONE. And put your "smartphone" in the trash.

BB is the third place smartphone, not windows, the question that is better asked is can BB10 hold off WP from taking their spot

but my personal opinion is, based on what i've seen from the demos of the dev alphas i would have to say yes RIM can stop Windows i personally believe they can balance out the top three spots also and retake some subscribers from Android and Apple, more so from Android as its pretty scattered
    12-26-12 03:07 PM
    Contrary to popular believe on this forum, Lumia920's have been selling out everywhere.
    There's room for debate on that one. New device intros are being gamed by the manufacturers left and right to try to convince buyers that whatever new phone they've brought out is a hit.
    Jake Storm, Barljo and Geeoff like this.
    12-26-12 03:20 PM
    No I don't think that BB10 will kill Windows or any of the other OSes but I do think it can take some of their marketshare and on top of that add some new ones to boot.
    12-26-12 03:38 PM
    computers are heavily dominated by Microsoft and Macs are slowly gaining ground with the "Apple is cool " mindset
    Yes, and look at the amount of progress that's been made in that industry (particularly with Windows) over the last decade.
    12-26-12 03:41 PM
    Sorry to burst your thought bubble, but no one tries to kill 4th place. I don't think the LA Clippers wish, oh man, if only we could have swept the Spurs and ended up as 4th place overall.

Nah son, you aim for first, and if you fall short, you are second or third.

Windows Phones failed from day one for the same exact reason every Windows product besides sync fails on day 1. They NEVER do a thorough job, honestly it feels as though Bill Gates or whomever is in charge, hires the laziest workers just to get products out, then, uses his legal team to keep them competitive, and sends updates and fixes at a later time, like when he himself is unable to use the product.

Windows 8 and the phone don't really appeal to anyone, and like the late Bill Cosby said, if you try to please everyone.....
    DJM626 and Sadsfan like this.
    12-26-12 07:42 PM
    That's not entirely true IMO.

There are lots of circumstances where companies vie over 4th place. Its used for traction and momentum, in meetings you hear "if we can pass so and so, it means we can one day pass so and so".

The entire market in China for no-name tablets and electronics is a great example. They aren't trying to get first place. Another example is the Dingoo and Pandora handhelds - an attempt to overthrow the GP2X-Wiz, often considered the fourth place handheld at the time (beat out by Nintendo DS, PSP, and Mobile Phones) which no one was seriously trying to compete with.

Edit: Also, as someone who builds apps cross platform - if Microsoft decides to get seriously involved in the phone market they can do some very serious damage with their hardware. I wouldn't scoff at them just yet, they have the money to lowball the phone market (drop pricing and fund from other sources to flood a market with their devices for cheap - with the intention of taking over a market prior to earning a profit). But, I agree with the premise - RIM is aiming to kill traction gained for Android and iOS in the Business Market. That's all they care about.

From an OS power point - Win8 Mobile is capable of far more than iOS and Android and if it had traction in the market, could threaten RIM. For example it now has true multitasking (selling point for RIM) as well as NT application support (so, you could theoretically see the real starcraft ported to Win8 mobile with very little effort if Blizzard wanted to). Just saying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-26-12 08:09 PM
    I don't think that BlackBerry 10 will knock Windows Phone out of the game any more then BB OS ever knocked Windows Mobile out of the game. Microsoft makes enough from Windows Desktop and Office to lose money on Smart Phones forever. They will never give up.

That said, I don't think Windows Phone will do any better at overtaking BlackBerry 10 then Windows Mobile before it did at over taking BB OS. RIM has been schooling Microsoft in Mobile Computing for nearly 15 years and that's not going to change. BlackBerry 10 has allot of advantages over Windows Phone. Being more feature complete out of the box and less buggy is the least of them. Microsoft can always improve on those areas.

Microsoft however chose to deviate to far from the norm in terms of UI. This is confusing to users and a source of pain for developers. RIM replaced buttons with gestures, but otherwise the UI is slick but completely in line with the rest of the market. Meaning devs who want to port their apps can spend less time on a whole new UI, and consumers will feel right at home once they learn the basic gestures. RIM definitely has a long term advantage with the BB 10 UI compared to the Windows Phone UI.

Industry standards. RIM has made BB 10 with developers in mind. Support for open and leading development tools means that iOS devs will love cascades and can port an iOS app to a native BB 10 app in a very short time. They don't have to learn any new code. Android devs have it even easier. Web devs have great HTML 5 support. Adobe Air and Flash support are there too. Microsoft of course you need to use their tools, .NET, Silverlight, C#. You have to re-right your apps completely and while Microsoft has done a good job in supporting devs in this regard it's still more work and a bigger investment to make your app for the Windows Phone store then BlackBerry World. This is why BlackBerry World will have 100 000 apps in it for BlackBerry 10 where as Windows Phone took over 2 years to reach that milestone. If BlackBerry 10 does sell well, RIM has laid all the groundwork for developers to get on board and close the app gap with the two leading platforms in record time.

I do think Windows Phone users should be worried about their hopes at capturing the third spot in the mobile market because I believe BlackBerry 10 will secure RIM as a dominant player. But there have always been 4 platforms so I don't see either BlackBerry 10 or Windows Phone disappearing.

Before iOS and Android there was Palm OS and Symbian. There was also BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. Palm did fail. Nokia sold out to Microsoft. BlackBerry remains in the game.

So there once was Symbian, BlackBerry, Palm OS and Windows Mobile.

Now there will be Android, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Phone.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating and as history has shown us, Microsoft has always held up the rear in the Smart Phone market and they do not appear to be breaking with their historically held last place position in the new Mobile Computing market either.
    12-26-12 08:15 PM
    WP8 was the biggest disappointment in the smartphone industry for me this year. Before it went live, I had high hopes of having TWO good mobile OS'S to choose from besides iOS and Android.
    After seeing WP8 live, I'm down to one. They've managed to get more things wrong than right.
    Made in flanders and ubizmo like this.
    12-26-12 10:00 PM
    Yes - being replaced by Windows Phone.
    No, replaced by ios and android, but that's soon to change
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 12-26-12 at 11:18 PM.
    12-26-12 10:37 PM
    I don't think that BlackBerry 10 will knock Windows Phone out of the game any more then BB OS ever knocked Windows Mobile out of the game. Microsoft makes enough from Windows Desktop and Office to lose money on Smart Phones forever. They will never give up.

That said, I don't think Windows Phone will do any better at overtaking BlackBerry 10 then Windows Mobile before it did at over taking BB OS. RIM has been schooling Microsoft in Mobile Computing for nearly 15 years and that's not going to change. BlackBerry 10 has allot of advantages over Windows Phone. Being more feature complete out of the box and less buggy is the least of them. Microsoft can always improve on those areas.

Microsoft however chose to deviate to far from the norm in terms of UI. This is confusing to users and a source of pain for developers. RIM replaced buttons with gestures, but otherwise the UI is slick but completely in line with the rest of the market. Meaning devs who want to port their apps can spend less time on a whole new UI, and consumers will feel right at home once they learn the basic gestures. RIM definitely has a long term advantage with the BB 10 UI compared to the Windows Phone UI.

Industry standards. RIM has made BB 10 with developers in mind. Support for open and leading development tools means that iOS devs will love cascades and can port an iOS app to a native BB 10 app in a very short time. They don't have to learn any new code. Android devs have it even easier. Web devs have great HTML 5 support. Adobe Air and Flash support are there too. Microsoft of course you need to use their tools, .NET, Silverlight, C#. You have to re-right your apps completely and while Microsoft has done a good job in supporting devs in this regard it's still more work and a bigger investment to make your app for the Windows Phone store then BlackBerry World. This is why BlackBerry World will have 100 000 apps in it for BlackBerry 10 where as Windows Phone took over 2 years to reach that milestone. If BlackBerry 10 does sell well, RIM has laid all the groundwork for developers to get on board and close the app gap with the two leading platforms in record time.

I do think Windows Phone users should be worried about their hopes at capturing the third spot in the mobile market because I believe BlackBerry 10 will secure RIM as a dominant player. But there have always been 4 platforms so I don't see either BlackBerry 10 or Windows Phone disappearing.

Before iOS and Android there was Palm OS and Symbian. There was also BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. Palm did fail. Nokia sold out to Microsoft. BlackBerry remains in the game.

So there once was Symbian, BlackBerry, Palm OS and Windows Mobile.

Now there will be Android, BlackBerry, iOS and Windows Phone.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating and as history has shown us, Microsoft has always held up the rear in the Smart Phone market and they do not appear to be breaking with their historically held last place position in the new Mobile Computing market either.
    Windows mobile was DOA, nobody had to knock them out of the game
    12-26-12 10:41 PM
    totally agree with your totally agree
    I can't imagine ANY market with only two players....seriously....can anyone name one? I would like to know
    PC's and Macs
    12-26-12 10:48 PM
    WP8 has promise, but I don't believe the manufacturing partners are sure footed. Both nokia and htc are having just as much if not more trouble in the market as rim. As it stands, its an uphill battle for both OS's to even remain relevant in the mobile smartphone market.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    12-26-12 10:50 PM
    They keep saying ms is 3rd and bb is 4th. Where do they get their numbers?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-26-12 10:54 PM
    Why do people think that one platform needs to kill another platform?
    iOS didn't kill anyone. Android didn't kill anyone. Why does BB10 have to kill anyone?
    There is definitely room for 4 major OSes in the market, and we should all be happy about that. There will be far more competition and innovation from four, than from three or two... or one.
    jakie55 and Cesare21 like this.
    12-26-12 11:04 PM
    With what we've seen with BB10, RIM has done a great job putting this together, I'd put money on 3rd place. But RIM will not kill WP, MS knows it has to be a player in the smartphone/ mobile computing market. I think both BB10 and WP 8 are going to cut into the Android/ iPhone pie.
    Jake Storm and jakie55 like this.
    12-26-12 11:14 PM
    totally agree with your totally agree
    I can't imagine ANY market with only two players....seriously....can anyone name one? I would like to know
    Groceries (and many other items) in Australia: Woolworths and Coles. They have pricing wars on milk which pushes everyone out of the market.

When it comes to apps, I don't think many would support more then 2 app ecosystems, some 3, fewer 4. I think this is one of the key reasons why there can't be too many players.
    12-26-12 11:40 PM
    I dont think it could kill wp (hopefully keep 3rd place) microsoft is a very powerful company and they recognize the importance of having a mobile sector.
    12-27-12 12:20 AM
    Why does it need to?

iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Symbian all have sizeable bases now. Why isn't there room for 4 OSes?
    That's what I say. Who can say how many os'es there can be that are sustained? Maybe there can only be two for all anyone knows... That have mainstream support. Or maybe its four. Or five.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 12:31 AM
    shut up and go away now. At first I thought you were making a proper point in your first post then I realise you just trying to rile people up....go away..now!
    12-27-12 12:32 AM
    BB has pissed off enough loyalists over the years that there is a large contingent actually hoping they will go under.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes it is very evident there are plenty of those folks, here on the CB forums.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 12:33 AM
    It's all about momentum....Blackberry is only beating anyone because of the hangers on from when blackberry was ahead of the curve. If current momentum continues, BB will be a thing of the past within a couple years if not sooner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    shut up and go away now. At first I thought you were making a proper point in your first post then I realise you just trying to rile people up....go away..now!
    12-27-12 12:33 AM
    Besides which, if Microsoft thought BB10 too much of a threat they could buy it and eat it whole.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 12:37 AM
230 1234 ...