4.4 million is only 400k more than they sold in Q2 and its the launch/christmas quarter...not exactly impressive
    It's 1.5 million more than they sold in Q3...and Wp8 devices were on sale in most markets for barely over a month...with severe supply constraints. It's a pretty good number.

Comparing their Q4 sales with Q2 when you have Q3 figures unfortunately does not reflect well on your objectivity.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-10-13 04:14 PM
    . 2013 and 2014 belong to RIM. 2+ years is hard to predict in the world of technology which moves at break-neck speed. Lots can change in 2 years. But 2013 and 2014 are RIM's.
    If you believe this, you'll believe anything.
    01-10-13 04:15 PM
    It's 1.5 million more than they sold in Q3...and Wp8 devices were on sale in most markets for barely over a month...with severe supply constraints. It's a pretty good number.

Comparing their Q4 sales with Q2 when you have Q3 figures unfortunately does not reflect well on your objectivity.
    I've noticed several people I know have purchased Windows Phones... think that Microsoft is starting to gain a little traction. Which is good for Rim, it shows that even without the ecosystem or top of the line hardware... phones will sell.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-10-13 04:32 PM
    No. WP8 is great. We need diversity and that's good!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    magutwit likes this.
    01-10-13 04:33 PM
    4.4 million is only 400k more than they sold in Q2 and its the launch/christmas quarter...not exactly impressive
    It's still moving in the right direction. Cmon - if RIM reports that they shipped 7.5 million devices in Q4 vs. 6.9 million in Q3, you know people will be cheering here too.

This basically says what I thought - it's increasing its traction compared to previous Windows Phones and actually being sought out in some cases. Even if it isn't a huge leap, it's a marked improvement
    01-10-13 04:39 PM
    BlackBerry 10 "WILL" be the best phone ever released to date once it gets launched on January 30, 2013. It will be based on one of the best OS's.
    RIM only needs to market it properly. Though what I would rather see is BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone both side by side strip away market share from both Apple and Google. Apple because they are bloody arrogant and Google because they think they can bully everybody.

Go RIM Go.
    01-12-13 04:24 PM
    I don't think we need BB10 in order to kill Windows Phone, it is killing itself. Microsoft has never been able to create a decent mobile OS despite they have tried and tried for over 10 years. Windows Phone is a good feature phone but hardly a good and versatile smart phone OS. BB10 will be OS number three without much effort and Windows Phone will struggle with one digit market shares, worse than Windows Mobile. I think competition is good and that's why we don't need Microsoft.
    01-13-13 04:19 PM
    I want to agree with those who say that WP8 being successful is a good thing and that RIM does not need to kill WP8 to be successful themselves. Sales of smartphones around the world are growing, and both could garner some share from the big 2 and they would never miss it.

Nokia is not the only vendor selling WP and I read reports yesterday that WP was selling about 1 million phones a week, based on quarterly sales of over 13 million phones. That's not bad.
    01-13-13 06:00 PM
    Nokia is not the only vendor selling WP and I read reports yesterday that WP was selling about 1 million phones a week, based on quarterly sales of over 13 million phones. That's not bad.
    while i agree thats not bad if true, the fact nokia cant even command 50% WP8 marketshare when they are basically `the` main partners with MS, that says nokia is in pretty bad shape
    01-13-13 06:14 PM
    I don't think we need BB10 in order to kill Windows Phone, it is killing itself. Microsoft has never been able to create a decent mobile OS despite they have tried and tried for over 10 years. ...
    Windows Mobile was HUGE !

"Could BlackBerry 10 kill Windows Phone?"

No. Microsoft can't be killed. Ever. They will succeed at the end, as they always do.

On the 30th we have 4 great and successful players in the game. And i like that.

There is no need for war and resentment.
    01-14-13 03:55 AM
    It's still moving in the right direction. Cmon - if RIM reports that they shipped 7.5 million devices in Q4 vs. 6.9 million in Q3, you know people will be cheering here too.

This basically says what I thought - it's increasing its traction compared to previous Windows Phones and actually being sought out in some cases. Even if it isn't a huge leap, it's a marked improvement
    7.5 million of old devices compared to 4.4 million of cutting edge and highly advertised devices? Not a fair comparison. Q4 is the best quarter for all manufactures who has new devices as Nokia did. They already warned that next quarter will not be so bright. I do believe that WP 8 has bigger success than WP 7 and WP 7.5, but still, there are just 2.2 million of WP 8 devices were sold during holidays (Apple have higher number during pre-orders without any ads), the rest WP 7.5 (because prices are almost half of what it was at their launches). In order to decide whether WP8 successful we need to wait for next two quarters. For BB10 we have two points: pre-orders/Q1 and next two quarters to see if it grows.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-14-13 04:09 AM
    7.5 million of old devices compared to 4.4 million of cutting edge and highly advertised devices? Not a fair comparison. Q4 is the best quarter for all manufactures who has new devices as Nokia did. They already warned that next quarter will not be so bright. I do believe that WP 8 has bigger success than WP 7 and WP 7.5, but still, there are just 2.2 million of WP 8 devices were sold during holidays (Apple have higher number during pre-orders without any ads), the rest WP 7.5 (because prices are almost half of what it was at their launches). In order to decide whether WP8 successful we need to wait for next two quarters. For BB10 we have two points: pre-orders/Q1 and next two quarters to see if it grows.
    I believe Microsoft stated that there were ~10 million Windows Phone 8 devices moved in Q4 across all OEM partners. 4.4 million of which were Nokias. Sounds like HTC took the lions share of sales unless it was Huawei selling great in China. Samsung barely got the ATIV S out the door in secondary markets in Q4 so I doubt they even moved a million in Q4.

It would be hard to imagine RIM not being able to move 4.4 million BlackBerry 10 phones and 10 million plus total phones in Q1. So while I expect sales to drop of BB 7 from the 6.9 million they sold in Q3, I'd say they can still easily move 5 plus million units in Q1 and all indicators thus far for BlackBerry 10 point to strong demand.

So while I do not think that RIM will kill off Windows Mobile, Microsoft can afford to stay in the game, I don't think that 10 million across 4 or 5 OEM partners in the busiest quarter of the year is anything that RIM really needs to worry about. RIM will hold it's 3rd place position by a comfortable margin once BB 10 enters the market. There is room for 4 players though so everyone can be happy with their devices.
    01-14-13 04:51 AM
    This gets me thinking? RIM will sell well with BB10, All indications are pointing that way. People like to talk about who RIM will steal market share from. No doubt Android, some ios. But how many phones would wp8 have sold if BB10 were in the market last quarter?
    01-14-13 05:49 AM
    This gets me thinking? .... But how many phones would wp8 have sold if BB10 were in the market last quarter?
    If BlackBerry had released in October / November as they were suppose to before the last delay I would have stayed with BlackBerry. When they delayed I started looking elsewhere and examining all options and my personal usage am going to give Windows Phone 8 a try. My Ativ S should arrive in about a week, I will watch BB10 with interest over the next year and decide then if I will come back to BB.
    01-14-13 07:46 AM
    No. Microsoft can't be killed. Ever. They will succeed at the end, as they always do.
    So Zune took out the iPod? Money disabled Quicken? Bing has supplanted Google? Silverlight has won over Flash and HTML5?
    01-14-13 07:57 AM
    I believe Microsoft stated that there were ~10 million Windows Phone 8 devices moved in Q4 across all OEM partners. 4.4 million of which were Nokias. Sounds like HTC took the lions share of sales unless it was Huawei selling great in China. Samsung barely got the ATIV S out the door in secondary markets in Q4 so I doubt they even moved a million in Q4.

It would be hard to imagine RIM not being able to move 4.4 million BlackBerry 10 phones and 10 million plus total phones in Q1. So while I expect sales to drop of BB 7 from the 6.9 million they sold in Q3, I'd say they can still easily move 5 plus million units in Q1 and all indicators thus far for BlackBerry 10 point to strong demand.

So while I do not think that RIM will kill off Windows Mobile, Microsoft can afford to stay in the game, I don't think that 10 million across 4 or 5 OEM partners in the busiest quarter of the year is anything that RIM really needs to worry about. RIM will hold it's 3rd place position by a comfortable margin once BB 10 enters the market. There is room for 4 players though so everyone can be happy with their devices.
    Pricing will be the KEY!

If RIM continues to price their devices at a premium, I don't see it reaching those numbers. There are a lot of people here that are really excited about BB10, and a number of people I know that have BB are also exited. But everyone I have asked, has said that their company is not ready for BB10 yet. I think a lot of company's are taking a wait and see attitude before committing resources to upgrade their networks to support BB10 devices. So many existing potential customers may not be able to buy immediately.

The average consumer isn't buying the premium devices, they are buying either new mid grade devices or older devices that have been marketed down. Or new WP8 devices that are being subsided by MS. As someone who works with a carrier, the Premium Devices get them in the door but most leave with a device that was either free on contract or was less that a $100 on contract.
    01-14-13 08:43 AM
    Pricing is a tricky beast. If they price too high, they'll price themselves out of the market. If they price too low, people will think it's cheap and dismiss it as junk. I've actually raised product pricing in the past (slightly) and had it sell substantially better because it was perceived as more premium and less bargain basement.

I think RIM would be foolish to try and price (at least right now) like iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy. They aren't that premium of a brand. On the other hand, they're still way more 'premium' than - say Huawei or LG. They can likely price similarly to (or a bit better than) Nokia and HTC.

Tricky balance
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-14-13 08:51 AM
    So Zune took out the iPod? Money disabled Quicken? Bing has supplanted Google? Silverlight has won over Flash and HTML5?
    And PC sales aren't slipping globally to non-Microsoft based tablets?
    01-14-13 08:59 AM
    Pricing is a tricky beast. If they price too high, they'll price themselves out of the market. If they price too low, people will think it's cheap and dismiss it as junk. I've actually raised product pricing in the past (slightly) and had it sell substantially better because it was perceived as more premium and less bargain basement.

I think RIM would be foolish to try and price (at least right now) like iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy. They aren't that premium of a brand. On the other hand, they're still way more 'premium' than - say Huawei or LG. They can likely price similarly to (or a bit better than) Nokia and HTC.

Tricky balance
    Well said. Pricing is a tough science to master.
    01-14-13 02:02 PM
    MS's strategy is long term. everybody knows that. Nobody knows what MS has up their sleeve
    01-14-13 02:12 PM
    Research in Motion (RIM) has been practically written off by many watching the smartphone space, but that may be premature with BlackBerry 10 coming to market. RIM is a big underdog to be sure but don't count them out yet. It has Windows Phone firmly in its sight.

BlackBerry 10: The underdog is coming after Windows Phone | ZDNet
    01-14-13 02:18 PM
    7.5 million of old devices compared to 4.4 million of cutting edge and highly advertised devices? Not a fair comparison.
    You're reading way more into it than was my point. People were ridiculing Windows Phone increasing in sales, but you know many of the same would be cheering if BlackBerry went up slightly as well.

I still think these "can X kill Y" threads are silly. ;-)
    01-14-13 03:17 PM
    MS's strategy is long term. everybody knows that. Nobody knows what MS has up their sleeve
    Not even MS
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-14-13 03:18 PM
    No. WP8 is great. We need diversity and that's good!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    We do need diversity which is why I hope WP8 fails.
    01-14-13 03:45 PM
    You forgot the Bluray vs HDDVD format war
    01-14-13 07:14 PM
230 ... 678910