Microsofts mobile division will suffer the same fate as the Zune.

RIP
    12-27-12 12:38 AM
    I think the only thing that will kill Windows Phone is if Microsoft itself is bankrupt. Even if Windows Phone fails (and it isn't really failing) they will still trow a lot of money at it.

I really doubt it will be RIM that kills windows Phone. They have a lot of worries themselfs. I'm a big supporter of Blackberry, but if I see how the average human thinks of a Blackberry around here. Yesterday I saw a facebookthread about smartphones, praising iPhone and Samsung and mocking Blackberry (no word about Windows phone).
    Blackberry has a lot of work to do before they get popular again.
    12-27-12 01:32 AM
    BB10 will annihilate WP.
    12-27-12 01:47 AM
    "Could BB kill WP?" Maybe, but anytime i hear BB people talk about killing another platform i cringe. Anybody else buy the "iphone" killer? I did along with many friends and relatives. They are all IOS users now except for me.
    12-27-12 02:32 AM
    ah. i used to feel the exact same way about the android player and had equally high hopes.

the android player will kill bb10 in the long run. rim will find itself in a difficult position when 70% of its apps are of android nature. i hope they get rid of it before launch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 03:14 AM
    How many tablets were going to be the ipad killer.....lets just launch, get profitable, and see where BlackBerry is when the dust settles....I for one, would be fine with 4th or 5th place...AND PROFITABLE
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    12-27-12 03:46 AM
    Besides which, if Microsoft thought BB10 too much of a threat they could buy it and eat it whole.
    Lol, you can't buy something that's not for sale.
    12-27-12 03:48 AM
    I know that I'm late to this party, but having handled the Nokia phones the most I liked about them were the physical aesthetics. I did not like W8 at all on the phone, while I don't mind it on my laptop.
    Given what we've seen of BB10, my personal opinion is that BB10 should obliterate W8 devices. Sad for Nokia, I did like their phones and the camera is stellar.
    12-27-12 03:59 AM
    Sometimes you can. Depends on the buyer. Research In Motion's Biggest Risk Could Be A Hostile Takeover Bid By Microsoft - Seeking Alpha
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 04:03 AM
    Yes you can. It's called a hostile takeover and it happens all the time. Some private equity firms almost wouldn't exist without it. Carl Icahn wouldn't be a billionaire without it, his corporate raider tactics being legendary. There are defenses like the infamous "poison pill" and "golden parachute," but there are alternatives. Proxy fights to replace the BoD is the most common, since usually, you only need 50%+1 of the vote.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 04:05 AM
    I do think 3 platforms is probably the most the industry can handle for 2 reasons: 1) apps, which has already been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread - over time, I suspect HTML5 will reduce the importance of native apps, but some apps will always be better as native; and 2) probably more important than 1), carrier support and subsidies. Carriers are giving WP8 a big push right now and it looks like they will do the same for BB10, as they want to ensure they are not reliant on 2 platforms. However, in 12 months time, I suspect one of them will no longer get the same love from carriers, so this next year will probably decide their fate, or at least decide their chances to be a real player. I do agree that mobile is too important and MS has too much money to just go away, and so it likely would mean they would need to look at buying RIM. Ultimately, alot of the problems set out in the OP's list are really a product of MS not controlling the whole product from OS to manufacturing. Android has the same problem, but given the carriers desire for a second platform a few years ago, the love from the carriers covered over all of Androids problems. MS does not have the same luxury. They have tried to change that with the Surface tablet, and if the rumours are true, they may also try it with a Surface phone, but by that point it may be too late with the carriers.
    12-27-12 06:02 AM
    All publicly listed companies are for sale given the right offer. That's how it works.
    Enyigma likes this.
    12-27-12 06:10 AM
    Besides which, if Microsoft thought BB10 too much of a threat they could buy it and eat it whole.
    They tried. Ballmer himself was in Waterloo in June offering RIM the same deal Nokia got. RIM said thanks, really, but no thanks.
    12-27-12 06:17 AM
    Why do people think that one platform needs to kill another platform?
    iOS didn't kill anyone. Android didn't kill anyone. Why does BB10 have to kill anyone?
    There is definitely room for 4 major OSes in the market, and we should all be happy about that. There will be far more competition and innovation from four, than from three or two... or one.
    Oh no? Where's Palm? They'd still exist if it wasn't for iOS
    Where's Symbian? All the members of the now defunct Symbian Foundation can be counted among current members of the Android Open Source Alliance. To bad for Nokia that all their former Symbian customers also overwhelmingly went with Android as well. They failed to convert their mighty user base to Windows Phone and essentially started over from scratch in a market they invented - Mobile Computing. Nokia should have known a user base of people who love customization and open source would hate Windows Phone. But when ya need the cash, and you hire a CEO used to performing fallatio on Steve Ballmer, that's what you end up with.

At least RIM made BB 10 for BlackBerry people and all signs point to a high rate of conversion for RIM with their existing user base so they are not starting at zero and Thorsten came from Siemens, so he has no allegiances to other companies that would want to buy RIM.

I do agree that all 4 Platforms will survive. But I believe that app support will be greater on BlackBerry 10 then on Windows Phone because the work RIM put in on creating a native SDK devs love and supporting the languages and tools they already use on the two leading platforms will make BlackBerry World the platform to develop for over Windows Phone.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    12-27-12 06:32 AM
    Windows mobile was DOA, nobody had to knock them out of the game
    Windows Mobile was a major player for years and if it wasn't for Windows Mobile HTC wouldn't exist at all. Never count Microsoft out of the game, they make enough profit from other part of the business to continue in Mobile at a loss indefinitely. But Windows Phone does not appear to be capturing the market and their disjointed approach has never led to Market dominance historically. There once was Windows NT/XP, CE and Mobile. Now there is Windows 8, RT and Phone. Now, just as before the apps on one won't run on the others and the functionality gets more stripped the further down the ladder you go. I don't know why they are repeating a failed strategy with an even uglier UI. But they will continue to invest billions in it. We can count on that.
    12-27-12 06:40 AM
    In my view, only a fool would under-estimate Microsoft. No, it isn't guaranteed they can waltz in and take over (see Zune, Windows Mobile, Silverlight etc) but it would be extremely unwise to ignore them.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 07:32 AM
    RIM purppose is to regain his spot back in the market* and I think this a wrong question* could bb 10 kill iphone*
    12-27-12 08:15 AM
    Let me start out by saying this: BlackBerry needs to defend it's third place, not win it back. Windows Phone has the potential to beat RIM and take it's third place, but is not at third place right now. However, I see both platforms being successful. Or at least a possibility of both platforms being successful.

I don't think BlackBerry 10 will win over iPhone or Android users. I think BlackBerry 10 could win over Windows Phone users. Any old WebOS fan will instantly fall in love with BlackBerry 10. Any old BlackBerry fan who switched to another platform will come back home once they see how awesome BlackBerry 10 is. They will say, "Wait, a software keyboard can be that awesome?" or "Why can't my iPhone connect me so well to my LinkedIn profile and Facebook profile?" And they will switch back to their trusted and loved BlackBerry. Within two years you will see this, not from everyone of course, but the majority of old BlackBerry fans. Remember, they wanted BlackBerry to do this years ago. And BlackBerry is better at mail, messaging, calender and browser then the other guys (at least with BlackBerry 10).

I also think non-smartphone users have a chance to switch from a dumb phone to a BlackBerry 10 device. Why do I say that? Well, one the keyboard. Most people who don't have a smartphone say I couldn't live with a touchscreen keyboard. That statement is usually false, of course, but that is what they think. So they will walk into a smartphone store, say to the salesman, "I want a smartphone, but I don't care for touch screen keyboard. I want to be able to check my email and text people, and I don't care about all those fancy smancy features." THe customer will pause, "And I really want to be able to browse the web. What do you have?" Any GOOD salesman will point to a new BlackBerry N-Series or BlackBerry C-Series (that Curve looking device) and say "These BlackBerry's are perfect for you."

Then when they get into the smartphone world, they will stay because BlackBerry 10 has everything the other guys have. And by the time a normal person would be able to switch (at least in America) two years after switching to BB10, BB10 will have tons of apps and there won't be a need to switch to get the latest Angry Birds or whatever is cool in the future. So they will just buy the latest BB10 device. Now some might think I am crazy, but my entire family, minus my Dad, started on a BlackBerry. My mom and my ex-wife has moved on to the iPhone 4, I moved from a BlackBerry Curve to a Windows Phone 7, to an Epic, then an Epic Touch 4G and now to a ... Windows Phone 8? BB10 Device? I don't know yet, I am stuck at which device I want.

But you see, it's possible and likely this situation will happen. But a similar situation will happen with Windows Phone 8. People will like having a similar platform as their computer. People will want a Nokia with their Surface. Or a Samsung with their Samsung PC. Or ... you see where I am going.

So BB10 has a chance. 2013 is RIM's final chance. I think, after watching Thorsten Heins at BlackBerry World, he is a very good salesman, like Steve Jobs was. Heins has this attitude that his product is good, and he and his whole company is working to make it better. I think next month RIM and Heins will show their vision of what a smartphone ecosystem looks like. And I think it will be awesome.
    DJM626, Dapper37 and owadkelly like this.
    12-27-12 08:41 AM
    Sorry but carriers don't hire what you call "good" salespeople. Have you been in a carrier store lately... maybe with BB10 it will change, but right now BB's are are hidden away on a back shelf somewhere, and NO ONE is suggesting them to an undecided customer.

And if it takes two years for BB10 to have "tons of apps", then it will be game over for them in six months. But personally I don't think they need a huge library of apps, but all the major ones need to be there on DAY ONE. And within six months you need to start seeing company's that have iOS & Andorid Apps also supporting BB10 (really dumb name - but maybe it will transform into BBOS once BBOS is gone)
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-27-12 08:53 AM
    Nope BB10 will just keep MS in 4th place where they are now! Microsoft's pockets are too deep to kill it off.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    12-27-12 09:13 AM
    MS pockets are too deep to stay behind RIM.

Listen to NPR this morning and they were talking about the mobile industry this year and next, but they said that WP was not really seeing much traction yet. But that it might take 12-18 months for the new OS to see the support it needs. They didn't mention RIM and BB10, but did mention a report from iSupply that said Globally RIM had fallen to 5% of the smartphone market ( I assume coming from iSuppy that refers to sales, not actual marketshare)

Made me wonder, does RIM have 12 - 18 months if they don't see immediate increase in sales? I'm sure the first couple of months should be good, just from the die hard fans and those that have been holding off buying a new phone for a number of months. But what if it isn't an immediate hit with consumers, does RIM have the capital to operate for that long?
    12-27-12 09:42 AM
    Deep pockets don't guarantee traction, as Microsoft has shown with their current position in Mobile. And Microsoft has never had a mobile user base of 79 Million customers. RIM is in a perfect position with BB10 to migrate existing BBOS users to BB10, and try to win back customers that left for other platforms. Microsoft has to win customers they have never had, and in a market where traditional Microsoft products are being replaced by tablets and phones.
    Jake Storm and Dapper37 like this.
    12-27-12 10:40 AM
    Sorry but carriers don't hire what you call "good" salespeople. Have you been in a carrier store lately... maybe with BB10 it will change, but right now BB's are are hidden away on a back shelf somewhere, and NO ONE is suggesting them to an undecided customer.

And if it takes two years for BB10 to have "tons of apps", then it will be game over for them in six months. But personally I don't think they need a huge library of apps, but all the major ones need to be there on DAY ONE. And within six months you need to start seeing company's that have iOS & Andorid Apps also supporting BB10 (really dumb name - but maybe it will transform into BBOS once BBOS is gone)

BB10 will be launching with 100k apps. In two years they could easily double that number. We'll see what happens, but two years ago Sprint salesman suggested a BlackBerry Curve to my parents. Who's to say that can't happen again.
    12-27-12 12:11 PM
    Windows 8 and the phone don't really appeal to anyone, and like the late Bill Cosby said, if you try to please everyone.....
    Fortunately, Mr. Cosby is still alive
    12-27-12 01:44 PM
    Why would BB be out in front? They havent put out anything new or competitive in a year. Dollar for dollar, there's a better alternative in iOS, Android, or WP8 than BB can offer right now. When BB10 launches, I think that will be different if RIM has set the stage right.

Prime display real estate goes two ways: It's selling well or the OEM pays for the spot.

BB10 will be launching with 100k apps. In two years they could easily double that number. We'll see what happens, but two years ago Sprint salesman suggested a BlackBerry Curve to my parents. Who's to say that can't happen again.
    2 years ago, Curves were flying off the shelves because they were free and offered a pretty comparable feature set. If BB10 launches with features that stack up with it's similarly priced competition, I think it will start being offered to customers more frequently.
    12-27-12 01:48 PM
230 12345 ...