The scuttlebutt on the Didi investment is that Apple will use telemetrics off of it for its own car project. A large trove of data like that is very useful. Cheaper and alot less red-tape and potential liability in China for a car accident. Plus Didi is a burgeoning company itself much like Uber is here.
    05-31-16 02:00 PM
    You do not need a college degree to write many of the apps out there.
    This is common knowledge. This why they teach programming in primary school these days (maybe not that much in Canada and US, but certainly in Europe). I learned programming, logic and all the necessary math for computer science in high school in the late seventies, only to discover that it was taught as a grad course in Algorithms and Data Structures in North America.

It's not rocket science.

You do need a PhD degree to develop rockets, and even cellular phone integrated circuits.
    In the software world, there have been several successful entrepreneurs in their teens, or college dropouts like Bill Gates.
    There have been none in fields like integrated circuits or aerospace. You need a much stronger background in math, physics, and sciences in those fields and they do not allow bugs as a feature that can be fixed and introduced in the next release of the product...

And before someone comments, there is nothing wrong with requiring just high school education to write great apps.
    It is a field with a lower entry barrier than others.
    That also does not mean that there aren't brilliant, highly educated computer scientists writing apps.
    And how many smart phone apps have you built? What platforms? Which apps stores?

Fields like integrated circuit engineering require massive amounts of capital which most teenagers do not have. It's true that writing software has minimal capital requirements, just a PC or Mac. The Software tools are all free.
    05-31-16 04:42 PM
    And how many smart phone apps have you built? What platforms? Which apps stores?

Fields like integrated circuit engineering require massive amounts of capital which most teenagers do not have. It's true that writing software has minimal capital requirements, just a PC or Mac. The Software tools are all free.
    Not sure if you are agreeing with sorinv or not. Either way, I had a friend write and get published, 3 apps for apple. He had no financial backing what so ever.
    05-31-16 09:57 PM
    BB has no money
    I thought they still had several billions in cash despite all their acquisitions?

BB, Still the One
    05-31-16 10:27 PM
    Not sure if you are agreeing with sorinv or not. Either way, I had a friend write and get published, 3 apps for apple. He had no financial backing what so ever.
    I think you missed my point. You can write mobile apps without financial backing because the tools are free (and in the case of Apple, very good). Apple or Google handle the distribution for you too.

That doesn't mean the App Store is full of apps written by high schoolers though and I doubt sorinv has published any apps in any App Store.
    06-01-16 06:50 AM
    I thought they still had several billions in cash despite all their acquisitions?

BB, Still the One
    If you are trying to compete with Apple or Google or Samsung, a a few Billion dollars is not a lot of money. Microsoft has a lot more, and it still can't compute.
    06-01-16 06:52 AM
    Amazing thread - some of the tech info flies in one side of my poor defective ADD biological computer and out the other but I get the gist...

What determined my choice of mobile phone after years of flip phones was and is BEST CALL quality. I haven't had a landline since the last century. A move in mid-2010 prompted me to divorce VZW because Sprint tower was 1/4 mile away. I got a job teaching Christmas deal on the 4s - CDMA - worked okay on iOS6 but crap on 7 where it remains. POC handset - terrible call quality on 4 & 5 bars.

While in Kenya in 2013, it was a BlackBerry - not sure which model but looked like the 9900 - it got signal when nothing else would and saved my a** calling USA and emailing 2 deadlines. BlackBerry accomplished what no other digital device could do: pull in signal for very clear international calls and send 2 word docs.

Made a believer out of me.

So I don't care what happens - I have the 4s that got replaced due to dead power button and battery 18 months into whatever the 2 year care program's called. Will run it until it croaks.

Still have 9900 as backup but primary phone for calls & texts is Passport SE - superb audio quality for calls on weak signal.

I go with what works - have my MBP on 10.6.8 snow Leopard because it works great - I'm a writer and photographer.

Blackberry works for me - bottom line is call quality - they're still called phones and I need the best to do my job which requires hours of interviews around the world.

Hi Ho Silver!!!!

PS if this is off topic, moderator has my blessing to delete. But I had to say it - BlackBerry phones are the best!!!! As long as I can find fully functional unlocked 9900 or PP online, I'm good to go!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Gallofa likes this.
    06-01-16 08:19 AM
    PS yes - I think apple might suffer from losing sight of the work-horse nature of its OS - I wish they had beefed up the Unix platform used for snow Leopard and balanced out the tinkertoy appeal of the new iOS versions with greater functions re editing etc but that's what BlackBerry does so brilliantly with 10 - just like snow Leopard - I will ride both as long and as far as possible!!!
    So what if SLIS unsupported!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 08:24 AM

Yes, lots of investment and lots of education, usually a Ph.D. needed to design RFICS or fiber-optic ICs good enough to have a start-up.
    No highschool student ever made it in that field. Lots did in software, which indeed requires little funding but also less education.
    Last edited by sorinv; 06-04-16 at 08:58 AM.
    06-03-16 01:15 PM
    If you are trying to compete with Apple or Google or Samsung, a a few Billion dollars is not a lot of money. Microsoft has a lot more, and it still can't compute.
    Yeah, some Microsoft stuff just doesn't compute... ;-D

"A problem has been detected and Windows Phone has been shut down to prevent damage to M$ Balance Sheet.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your mobile OS efforts. If this screen appears again, follow these steps...."

Hello Balmer, hello Developers!!

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-04-16 02:55 AM
    Yes, lots of investment and lots of education, usually a Ph.D. To design RFICS or fiber-optic ICs good enough to have a start-up.
    No highschool student ever made it in that field. Lot's did in software which indeed requires little funding but also less education.
    Care to name some examples of high school students who launched successful software enterprises while in high school. I know of one who's app was bought by Yahoo. You clearly know a lot more.
    06-04-16 07:45 AM
    What goes up will always eventually go down.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-16 07:48 AM
    Yeah, some Microsoft stuff just doesn't compute... ;-D

"A problem has been detected and Windows Phone has been shut down to prevent damage to M$ Balance Sheet.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your mobile OS efforts. If this screen appears again, follow these steps...."

Hello Balmer, hello Developers!!

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    I actually intended to type compete. Compute was an autocorrect contribution to my post.

If I had typed on a BB with a keyboard, we would all have missed your amusing response.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    06-04-16 07:48 AM
    Care to name some examples of high school students who launched successful software enterprises while in high school. I know of one who's app was bought by Yahoo. You clearly know a lot more.
    Several were in the news in past years, I don't remember the names, but you seem to know one.
    And of course, at least one high school student was know to have hacked into the US DoD, again this was in the news...i did not care to save the link.

Now, please name one in hardware. I have been in the electronics field for over thirty years, and involved in several high tech companies in this field, never heard of any.
    06-04-16 09:00 AM
    Several were in the news in past years, I don't remember the names, but you seem to know one.
    And of course, at least one high school student was know to have hacked into the US DoD, again this was in the news...i did not care to save the link.

Now, please name one in hardware. I have been in the electronics field for over thirty years, and involved in several high tech companies in this field, never heard of any.
    I can think of a pair of clever young inventors in high school or just in university (20 yo) who invented a very useful but illegal device that thus had no chance to be commercialized. Would have absolutely taken off though.

Now that crowdfunding and reality shows like Shark Tank are prevalent we may start seeing these truly young guns pop up. Previously I think funding challenges would have made it impossible.

Btw I suspect many here don't know the history of the Pebble founder or he would be a forum icon of success. He almost fits your bill as he wasn't far out of high school.
    06-04-16 10:14 AM
    I can think of a pair of clever young inventors in high school or just in university (20 yo) who invented a very useful but illegal device that thus had no chance to be commercialized. Would have absolutely taken off though.

Now that crowdfunding and reality shows like Shark Tank are prevalent we may start seeing these truly young guns pop up. Previously I think funding challenges would have made it impossible.

Btw I suspect many here don't know the history of the Pebble founder or he would be a forum icon of success. He almost fits your bill as he wasn't far out of high school.
    I doubt that many in here know that the Pebble was originally a smartwatch called the inPulse that was designed exclusively for Blackberry phones. I had one back when they first came out and while it was a product way in its infancy, you could see there was major potential. The battery life was really bad was my main reason for getting rid of it but even then it was a great concept.

Could Apple go the way of BlackBerry?-silver_left_big_large.png
    TGR1 likes this.
    06-04-16 11:43 AM
    Until the smartwatch can fully replace a smartphone and until its battery lasts for more than a week, it will not be a very useful device.

Imagine travelling on business on a different continent and having to carry so many adapters with you and having to plug in so many devices: watch, toothbrush, laptop, cellphone, tablet?

Apart from the watch, I am carrying all of the others and it's not pretty. Some merely for backup...

Battery life is very important for people who travel.

At least the electric toothbrush battery lasts for about one week.
    06-04-16 04:36 PM
    Whithout iOS and iTunes, Apple would be nowhere near to where they are today.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    Their hardware/io strategy, their once great OS X, and their long-in-the-tooth iOS spell their demise in my eyes. A company full of bloat. Only their iMessage and Facetime platforms keep them relevant in my eyes.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-16 10:59 AM

What does hacking the DoD have to do with founding a software company or writing apps? So far you haven't named a single high school student who has created a tech company built on software.

OTOH Microsoft, Google and Facebook were founded by either college students or college grads.
    Ronindan likes this.
    06-05-16 06:08 PM
    What does hacking the DoD have to do with founding a software company or writing apps? So far you haven't named a single high school student who has created a tech company built on software.

OTOH Microsoft, Google and Facebook were founded by either college students or college grads.
    Thank you. You already named some of them.

College dropout in the case of Gates. He started his first venture at 17 and Microsoft after dropping out of Harvard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

There have been a few less famous others in the news several years back. I don't care to remember. I am not in the software business.

You could argue that both Zuckerberg and Elon Musk started companies while in high-school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

All three examples are of brilliant smart guys, but neither Andy Grove, nor Gordon Moore started Intel in high school, nor any other CEO or CTO of a hardware company started a hardware company or designed IC's while in high school.

Hewlett and Packard started HP (and supposedly Silicon Valley) in a garage in 1939 building amplifiers, but they had already graduated from college.

Gates, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, all wrote well received computer programs while in high-school and even started software companies while in high school.

Musk started to get involved in hardware after graduation. Until then, he wrote software.
    Last edited by sorinv; 06-06-16 at 05:59 PM.
    06-06-16 05:42 PM

College dropout in the case of Gates. He started his first venture at 17 and Microsoft after dropping out of Harvard.

There have been a few less famous others in the news several years back. I don't care to remember. I am not in the software business.

You could argue that both Zuckerberg and Elon Musk started companies while in high-school.

All three examples are of brilliant smart guys, but neither Andy Grove, nor Gordon Moore started Intel in high school, nor any other CEO or CTO of a hardware company started a hardware company or designed IC's while in high school.

Hewlett and Packard started HP (and supposedly Silicon Valley) in a garage in 1939 building amplifiers, but they had already graduated from college.

Gates, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, all wrote well received computer programs while in high-school and even started software companies while in high school.

Musk started to get involved in hardware after graduation. Until then, he wrote software.
    On post #114 you said "high school dropouts" and you are citing individuals who drooped out University because they choose to and not because they were kicked out. In other words you're back peddling crackberry style.
    06-06-16 07:50 PM

Gates and Zuckerberg both dropped out of Harvard and could not be described as highschool students when they started their companies. Paul Allen who cofounded Microsoft was also a college student.

Also, while Gates and Allen were both extremely talented software developers, I am not sure Zuckerberg is in the same class. He was a PHP developer when he started Facebook.

Musk didn't start his first software company until he already had two bachelors degrees. He does not have a Ph.D.
    06-06-16 08:26 PM
    On post #114 you said "high school dropouts" and you are citing individuals who drooped out University because they choose to and not because they were kicked out. In other words you're back peddling crackberry style.
    I meant to say high school students. You are right about this mistake.
    06-07-16 05:08 PM
    Gates and Zuckerberg both dropped out of Harvard and could not be described as highschool students when they started their companies. Paul Allen who cofounded Microsoft was also a college student.

Also, while Gates and Allen were both extremely talented software developers, I am not sure Zuckerberg is in the same class. He was a PHP developer when he started Facebook.

Musk didn't start his first software company until he already had two bachelors degrees. He does not have a Ph.D.
    Gates had a software company while in high school.
    Musk wrote a program that was published in Computer magazine when he was 12.
    None and nobody designed integrate circuits while in high school.

I didn't mean high school dropouts. I meant high school students.
    06-07-16 05:11 PM
    Apple, MS going down is as likely as flying pigs.

Nadella was the wrong choice the guy has a tremendous vision, may be a superb coder but he lacks the basic understanding of how to release a product. The Surfacebook and SP 4 WOULD be awesome but you can't charge a premium price and release a beta product. If I'm paying close to it more than a thousand bucks for my notebook I expect it to work flawlessly (including the OS). By firing their Q&A department MS tried to use customers as testers which obviously failed. Say what you will about Apple but their Q&A department IS top notch. It's a shame really because the Surfacebook sounded like my next laptop but thanks to all the issues and Windows 10 with their stupid forced update policy I have to look for an xps or MB with boot camp now...neither are ideal because of non removable RAM and hard disks.

Bill Gates by all accounts is a coding god that guy wrote his own programming language and built MS in the back of a garage. Jobs was a visionary but also tremendously talented. Neither Cook nor Nadella will ever to able to fill those shoes.

But both companies are set for years to come they can't be compared to others.

What happens when your average suit are running the show can be seen with HP they are a shadow of their former self and run by a maniac who cares more about firing people than putting out a good product and service.
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 06-12-16 at 07:35 PM.
    06-11-16 05:54 AM
133 ... 3456