Apple "borrowed" plenty of others innovations also. Few main stream musicians feel Apple and iTunes treated them well or fairly. Apple has no social license with there slave factories or tax avoidance world wide.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 09:33 AM
    That may be true for game developers, but in general most apps are free. What Apple and Google have given us is a world where there are hundreds of millions of customers who can run our software on the devices that they carry around every single day. That's a lot of value, and it has nothing to do with app store revenue share.

What would have made WP and BB10 valuable to us is if either had enabled apps that we can't already build on iOS and Android. Then that would have pushed Apple and Google to add more APIs to their SDKs and then you can then see the value of 3-4 different ecosystems. Apple and Google push each other already in their SDKs. I don't see Microsoft really doing that. They make it easier to make apps with better tools and their cross platform capability, but they don't allow us to make new apps with new capabilities that we haven't already made for iOS and Android.

Apple, in 2008, had very few users for us. However, they let us make apps that were years ahead of what we could do on the other platforms in 2008. If Microsoft or BlackBerry were able to do that, then the number of users would be less of an issue. Developers would still flock to the platform. This is why Apple didn't have the chicken and egg problem with apps and developers.
    Yes and No.
    At the moment and for years now, BB10 native apps are years ahead of iOS and Android Apps.
    05-25-16 11:56 AM
    You know that two of the leading app developers for iOS are Microsoft and Google right. Do you think they are slaves to Apple?
    Google paid Apple 1B dollars just to insert Google search as the first choice on apple devices.
    Who do you think dictated the terms? Do you think Google liked paying 1B?
    Sure, they will recover that by datamining apple users.

In that particular case Google was the slave.

Microsoft has been on its way down for a very long time.
    They only dictate to those weaker than themselves.
    Certainly not with Google or Apple.
    You get what I mean.

Sorin
    05-25-16 01:18 PM
    At the moment and for years now, BB10 native apps are years ahead of iOS and Android Apps.
    In what ways? Specifically, what experience can I make on BB10 that I can't already make on iOS?
    05-25-16 01:19 PM
    Apple couldnt burn through the cash stock pile they have if they tried.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    There is nothing easier than spending money.
    There are a few countries waiting for apples' cash pile. They could wipe it out in less than a couple of years.
    05-25-16 01:26 PM
    There is nothing easier than spending money.
    There are a few countries waiting for apples' cash pile. They could wipe it out in less than a couple of years.
    Literal nonsense. Any of those tax wrangles are over percentage of profits owed to governments meaning there are profits left behind for Apple. Get a cup of coffee and come back.
    05-25-16 01:28 PM
    This answer is parallel to what I wrote.
    No app developer can post on Google playstore without Google's approval and without Google taking a percentage set by Google not by the app developer.

The same goes for IoS apps and Apple.
    Are you saying that more stores would drive the commission down? So what? Most popular apps are free anyway. 30% of zero is zero. 10% of zero would still be zero. App store commissions are not a compelling reason for developers to support a 3rd and 4th platform.

And Uber is looking into driverless cars...
    Are you suggesting that AI will build apps? Seems a lot less likely than driverless cars, don't you think?
    05-25-16 03:22 PM
    If Microsoft cannot get any traction for their Smart Phone OS, how is BB supposed to. MS is a much bigger organization than BB with very deep pockets and a dominant desktop platform. They have excellent dev tools and a large number of developers are familiar with those tools?

BB has no money and never had a significant number of developers familiar with their weak dev tools.
    Have to wait for Surface phones to launch and see after that. If that doesn't work, they are pretty much (phone wise) in the same boat as Blackberry but with much more going for them in other ways.
    05-25-16 03:25 PM
    After near forever with BB I just moved from the Q10 to the iPhone SE and disagree. The things I thought I would really hate are more just annoyances after about a week. I desperately miss the hub and led notifications and not loving the typing yet but the apps? Pure brilliance. I've never been a app envy guy and have been fine without them for years but now that I have them.....wow!

Not sure what it would take for me to move back. I know for sure its not a android brick.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    05-25-16 05:02 PM
    After near forever with BB I just moved from the Q10 to the iPhone SE and disagree. The things I thought I would really hate are more just annoyances after about a week. I desperately miss the hub and led notifications and not loving the typing yet but the apps? Pure brilliance. I've never been a app envy guy and have been fine without them for years but now that I have them.....wow!

Not sure what it would take for me to move back. I know for sure its not a android brick.
    Another week. ) just kidding. It may be your taste. I used a 6s plus for a week and a half and could not wait to get back to my Classic. Email, LED, physical keyboard, shortcuts, etc, etc. I am not a app heavy user. I did love the camera and slow mo. Was great for my soccer instruction and teaching. Otherwise I thought the OS and device were highly overrated. Just my. 02.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    05-25-16 08:22 PM
    Are you saying that more stores would drive the commission down? So what? Most popular apps are free anyway. 30% of zero is zero. 10% of zero would still be zero. App store commissions are not a compelling reason for developers to support a 3rd and 4th platform.

Are you suggesting that AI will build apps? Seems a lot less likely than driverless cars, don't you think?
    No, it's not less likely than driverless cars. Depends on the app.
    Driverless cars definitely kill people. Most apps don't and are written by high school level students.
    05-26-16 01:29 AM
    Literal nonsense. Any of those tax wrangles are over percentage of profits owed to governments meaning there are profits left behind for Apple. Get a cup of coffee and come back.
    No. It's very easy to spend money. Even I could find useful ways to spend 200B dollars in a couple of years. Just give it to me and I'll show you how.
    I can think of a few good projects and businesses that would benefit mankind and science.
    Just think of how much money Lazaridis donated to fundamental science (Perimeter Institute, Institute for Quantum Computing). Apple could do it on a much grander scale.
    05-26-16 01:33 AM
    Driverless cars definitely kill people.
    No self-driving car, to this day, has ever killed anyone. Which is more than can be said about cars driven by humans.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-26-16 07:57 AM
    Again, Apple had no money and the market did not even know they wanted anything like the iphone. It's called vision. It's called innovation. It's called listening to the market.

It's too late by far for BB. What we are doing here is like an autopsy of what they should have done a long time ago. And then not so long ago. And then recently.
    It's never too late if they have vision and actually INVENT something new.

Unfortunately Chen isnt investing in innovation and developement.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 09:03 AM
    The gains that Apple made will all be soon erased , the decline has already begun . http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...nron/84350200/

Despite the many posts to the contrary, market saturation is here. The advent of cheap lower end devices has led to this.

Xiaomi the Chinese manufacturer has made strides in growth, soon to enter North American Markets, why? They have been able to provide budget ended devices, that's the future.

Apple to their credit realizes this fact and have offered a mid priced device. This isn't going to help much ,the growth market is in the lower end segment.

They (apple) would need to launch a device in this segment in order to secure continued growth, they can accomplish this by making up for losses in hardware profits by the sale of their services . However ,those in that low end segment tend not to have the disposable income that is necessary to buy such services that they receive for "free " from Android operating systems.

Furthermore the high end market will be ebbing and flowing for the next decade unless there is some major changes in the OS devices across the board ( Next Big thing) .

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 05-26-16 at 11:15 AM.
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-26-16 09:40 AM
    No. It's very easy to spend money. Even I could find useful ways to spend 200B dollars in a couple of years. Just give it to me and I'll show you how.
    I can think of a few good projects and businesses that would benefit mankind and science.
    Just think of how much money Lazaridis donated to fundamental science (Perimeter Institute, Institute for Quantum Computing). Apple could do it on a much grander scale.
    You need more coffee. Apple is not going to do something stupid like buy large unprofitable companies. Even their largest venture, the 3 billion Beats acquisition was profitable before and after Apple bought them. Maybe work on ways to waste the profits they continue build like the 10B last quarter before dreaming of ways that 200B will disappear.
    05-26-16 10:37 AM
    You need more coffee. Apple is not going to do something stupid like buy large unprofitable companies. Even their largest venture, the 3 billion Beats acquisition was profitable before and after Apple bought them. Maybe work on ways to waste the profits they continue build like the 10B last quarter before dreaming of ways that 200B will disappear.
    Or maybe account for the fact that since they're still in business, they're generating millions of dollars every day.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-26-16 11:32 AM
    No self-driving car, to this day, has ever killed anyone. Which is more than can be said about cars driven by humans.
    So far, all driverless cars have had humans on board.
    But you know what I mean driverless cars are not built by robots but simple apps will be written by programs (apps) soon...
    05-27-16 01:51 AM
    I don't know who needs the coffee more. I did not write that Apple would lose its cash over night. All I wrote was that it was not impossible.
    Just like Tim Cook discovered that privacy and security were important (they weren't for Jobs), he might decide that charity is too ;-)
    05-27-16 01:55 AM
    No, it's not less likely than driverless cars. Depends on the app.
    Driverless cars definitely kill people. Most apps don't and are written by high school level students.
    What complete nonsense. Most apps are written by professional developers, most professional developers have college degrees (in the US at least).
    05-30-16 09:50 AM
    Yes and No.
    Really, what apps are those?
    05-30-16 09:55 AM
    What complete nonsense. Most apps are written by professional developers, most professional developers have college degrees (in the US at least).
    You do not need a college degree to write many of the apps out there.
    This is common knowledge. This why they teach programming in primary school these days (maybe not that much in Canada and US, but certainly in Europe). I learned programming, logic and all the necessary math for computer science in high school in the late seventies, only to discover that it was taught as a grad course in Algorithms and Data Structures in North America.

It's not rocket science.

You do need a PhD degree to develop rockets, and even cellular phone integrated circuits.
    In the software world, there have been several successful entrepreneurs in their teens, or college dropouts like Bill Gates.
    There have been none in fields like integrated circuits or aerospace. You need a much stronger background in math, physics, and sciences in those fields and they do not allow bugs as a feature that can be fixed and introduced in the next release of the product...

And before someone comments, there is nothing wrong with requiring just high school education to write great apps.
    It is a field with a lower entry barrier than others.
    That also does not mean that there aren't brilliant, highly educated computer scientists writing apps.
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-30-16 at 04:32 PM.
    Gallofa likes this.
    05-30-16 04:07 PM
    Sadly, blackberry is now an adjective for failure. Take heed companies, if you don't adapt and listen to your customers then you may be blackberried.
    BlackBuried...? *eek*

;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-30-16 06:15 PM
    Heh maybe if they upgraded it wouldn't be so boring anymore.
    As their phone effectively bricks? I guess that wouldn't be boring.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-16 06:44 PM
    Apple has gone Didi, ... is it going Dodo? ;-P

http://www.idgconnect.com/blog-abstr...didi-strategic

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    05-30-16 11:50 PM
133 ... 23456