Thought this was an interesting read. Enjoy! Why Apple could turn into BlackBerry - Business Insider
    05-22-16 01:48 PM
    The actual article, if you want to skip BI explaining the article to you lol. - Avoiding BlackBerry’s fate
    05-22-16 02:23 PM
    I think it's very possible that Apple is the next BlackBerry. That's how this business works if they don't figure out what the next big thing is.

Like BlackBerry, however, they will probably linger for another decade or more acquiring other companies along the way.
    05-22-16 02:27 PM
    The actual article, if you want to skip BI explaining the article to you lol. - Avoiding BlackBerry’s fate
    Interesting read for sure... a lot of parallels with BlackBerry. Will be interesting to see how they adjust.
    05-22-16 02:45 PM
    Whithout iOS and iTunes, Apple would be nowhere near to where they are today.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    05-22-16 02:57 PM
    Interesting. The article says Google is in front in these big data AI services. Consider this in the context of BlackBerry producing android cell phones that are made with BlackBerry's focus on security. Security will become more important to consumers as time goes on as AI is developed. Could explain one of Chen's reasons for going in this direction.
    Stelios Gnd and ayngling like this.
    05-22-16 03:03 PM
    There is a significant difference though between Apple's position and Blackberry's at the time BB fell. Apple hasn't stopped trying to innovate or improve. They dump tons of money into just that. Whereas BB sat on the laurels of their success without expending resources to compete. Under the belief that the iPhone (and subsequently Android) would never succeed.

Apple's attitude in that regard is the complete opposite. They still spend crazy resources into improvement. Whether it always pans out or not, they're still actively pushing.

Apple's mistake (if you can call it that, as they're still raking in the cash and are hardly falling) was their failure to recognize Android and Google's services as being entirely separate entities. Hence Apple's attempt to rival Google Maps (a colossal failure), as well as trying to duplicate Google's ability to generate services based on data aggregation.

Already in the past 12 months Apple has shown an affinity to embracing Google's services again. We've seen previous obstruction to allow Google's apps suddenly turn into allowing and even promoting them. Apple has learned to differentiate the difference between Android and Google being two separate products, knowing which to compete with and which to embrace.

RIM/BB could have done the same (aside from RIM/BB having that resting on their laurels issue). Before Android became a thing, the BB platform had embraced Google services and apps. General consensus on CB was that we couldn't wait for the next big update to any of the available Google apps. After Android became successful, suddenly Google became the devil.
    05-22-16 03:05 PM
    Guess they really did need Steve jobs!
    gugomat and PantherBlitz like this.
    05-22-16 03:12 PM
    Whithout iOS and iTunes, Apple would be nowhere near to where they are today.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    You make it sound like those are the only two things going for them (which it isn't). They develop, build, and sell a boatload of hardware (not just smartphones). But even those two successes alone is no small feat.
    TgeekB, techvisor and Ernest Xiang like this.
    05-22-16 03:13 PM
    So where does blackberry fit in all of this? Maybe this is why they chose to go the android OS route lol
    Sigewif likes this.
    05-22-16 04:47 PM
    Where have they innovated or improved. They have said they have but that about it. Their innovations or improvements have been adding things that have existed from day one with other os's or just following on others coattails. Their computer software has been horrendous and when you try to get customer support or ask others on their forums your postings get deleted

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    bh7171 likes this.
    05-22-16 04:49 PM
    So where does blackberry fit in all of this? Maybe this is why they chose to go the android OS route lol
    That was exactly my thought.
    05-22-16 05:44 PM
    Apple has about $216 billion US, and growing. It's not going to fail anytime soon. There has been talk for a long time about other companies out innovating Apple. It's true to a certain extent, but Apple is very good at putting money and efforts into things that actually make solid profits. A lot of really cool ideas and innovations are impressive but don't drive profits. In the end, if Apple truly starts to fall behind, it has a huge cash hoard to make acquisitions or to pump into r and d.

At its height, BlackBerry wasn't anywhere close to the size of Apple. BlackBerry has never been a truly large company on the scale of modern tech company giants. Apple and BlackBerry aren't very comparable other than the fact that they both make smartphones. Their company histories do not track each other.
    05-22-16 06:32 PM
    There is a significant difference though between Apple's position and Blackberry's at the time BB fell. Apple hasn't stopped trying to innovate or improve. They dump tons of money into just that. Whereas BB sat on the laurels of their success without expending resources to compete. Under the belief that the iPhone (and subsequently Android) would never succeed.

Apple's attitude in that regard is the complete opposite. They still spend crazy resources into improvement. Whether it always pans out or not, they're still actively pushing.

Apple's mistake (if you can call it that, as they're still raking in the cash and are hardly falling) was their failure to recognize Android and Google's services as being entirely separate entities. Hence Apple's attempt to rival Google Maps (a colossal failure), as well as trying to duplicate Google's ability to generate services based on data aggregation.

Already in the past 12 months Apple has shown an affinity to embracing Google's services again. We've seen previous obstruction to allow Google's apps suddenly turn into allowing and even promoting them. Apple has learned to differentiate the difference between Android and Google being two separate products, knowing which to compete with and which to embrace.

RIM/BB could have done the same (aside from RIM/BB having that resting on their laurels issue). Before Android became a thing, the BB platform had embraced Google services and apps. General consensus on CB was that we couldn't wait for the next big update to any of the available Google apps. After Android became successful, suddenly Google became the devil.
    Please no facts on this forum, they have no place. Just people bloviating......WOOF
    TgeekB, techvisor and FabriciusFab like this.
    05-22-16 06:42 PM
    Thought this was an interesting read. Enjoy! Why Apple could turn into BlackBerry - Business Insider
    One article drawing comparisons.......really....BlackBerry should be so lucky.....piles of cash............huge market share.......yea I see were they are in trouble not..........one other difference. Apple will change and keep innovating. BlackBerry would be sit back and tell all who listen.....we are number one.......the market is wrong and we are right. How did that work out!.....WOOF!
    techvisor and Eumaeus like this.
    05-22-16 06:46 PM
    Where have they innovated or improved.
    Off the top of my head (and just to name a few)...

Capacitive touch input. While it had always been theoretically possible, Apple was the first to make it work efficiently. Even before smartphones, they made it work with the iPod's capactive dial when everybody else was still using resistance and/or pressure input. This single achievement changed the mobile industry by orders of magnitude.

Siri was no small accomplishment.

Multi-Touch and gestures. You think BB created those? Nope. Apple was the first to it. All other smartphone platforms merely echoed or evolved from what Apple did.

Has Apple innovated much since the iPhone 4? Maybe not so much. But you can't make a blanket statement insinuating that Apple hasn't innovated or improved upon other products. They have. Lately not so much. But they're actively playing the game.

There's no love lost between me and Apple. I have my own personal reasons for not supporting their products in any way, but that's all on me. I can recognize when Apple has done something well.
    05-22-16 06:52 PM
    Siri was no small accomplishment.
    Didn't Apple just buy the company that made Siri?
    ayngling likes this.
    05-22-16 06:57 PM
    gestures. You think BB created those? Nope. Apple was the first to it
    Not WebOs in Palm?
    05-22-16 06:58 PM
    What's make Apple different is the smartphone dynamics have changed since the early days of Blackberry and Apple has now embedded the iPhone into the every day culture here in the USA and a lot of other countries.

You don't need the be that innovative once you have the market share and user base they do. They also have the Apple Stores and the best device support on the market and is what all other warranties will be judged against.

They have so much cash in reserve that they are not going to go to the wayside any time soon. Last but not least is they got there not by building junk, they did it by building products the consumer asked for and are being rewarded for it.

The sad truth is that Blackberry could have been in a lot better position then they currently are if they would have listened to what their user base was asking for and delivered in in a timely manner, but complacently and a lack of vision has put them in their current position and I don't see them making the big turnaround any time soon.

Especially since the market has changed so much and is now saturated. I think their software might be the smart move at this current moment in time and only time will tell if it was the right decision or not.
    Last edited by bakron1; 05-23-16 at 06:55 AM.
    wilber1 and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-22-16 06:59 PM
    Not WebOs in Palm?
    WebOS from Palm came out 2 years after the release of the first iPhone. And even then, the WebOS gestures relied heavily upon gestures initiated from the bottom bezel. Not to mention WebOS didn't have multi-touch at the time (you conveniently snipped out the Multi-touch portion of what you quoted from me).
    05-22-16 07:03 PM
    People like to compare Apple and Blackberry (because they hope Apple fails) but I just don't see it. I think Ralphy said it above, Apple isn't sitting back thinking they can survive doing the same thing forever. They have evolved and continue to. Some may not see it or like it but they are doing something right.
    05-22-16 07:24 PM
    WebOS from Palm came out 2 years after the release of the first iPhone. And even then, the WebOS gestures relied heavily upon gestures initiated from the bottom bezel. Not to mention WebOS didn't have multi-touch at the time (you conveniently snipped out the Multi-touch portion of what you quoted from me).
    And I believe that multi-touch was first done by a company called FingerWorks, that was eventually bought by Apple in 2005. I am not trying to argue with you, just point out that a lot of these super-successful tech companies have the foresight and the smarts to acquire smaller and more innovative research companies. This demonstrates part of the genius of Steve Jobs. He knew which patents and companies to go after.
    Ernest Xiang likes this.
    05-22-16 07:30 PM
    Apple and Blackberry are so far apart on the spectrum that anyone comparing the two companies has to be insane.
    05-22-16 07:34 PM
    Most news reports I've heard have talked about the stagnation of apple maybe to the point of reversal and many of the reports I've heard from apple fans ios7 is lackluster and boring

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-22-16 09:50 PM
    You make it sound like those are the only two things going for them (which it isn't). They develop, build, and sell a boatload of hardware (not just smartphones). But even those two successes alone is no small feat.
    Roughly 80% of Apple's revenues are from iPhone and iPad sales; something like 9% from Macs. Globally, the iPhone has roughly a 16% market share. It should be easy to see that without iOS Apple would not be as prominent as they are. I have been using Macs near exclusively since the Mac line was first introduced, so that's longer than many around here have been alive. I've been a Mac Addict since before iPhone et al. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this boatload of hardware that they develop, build, and sell--in particular over the last decade.
    toneytone likes this.
    05-22-16 11:48 PM
133 123 ...