My son has just moved from the UK to Wichita in the USA for 4 years of University.
    He took with him his beloved (unlocked) Curve 3g and thought he would simply buy a prepay SIM in the US and continue to use his phone as he has in the UK, especially for BBM and email.

In the UK he has been paying �10 (about $15) per month with T Mobile for all services ... BIS, 400 texts, 1MB data and pay as you use minuets.
    In the T Mobile store in Wichita he has been told that it would be a minimum of $50 per month for the same services!

Is this true?

Surly customers in the USA do not have to spend 5 times more than we do in the UK for a fairly basic bundle which includes being able to use BBM (+ data and texts)

Is he looking in the wrong place or asking for the wrong services?
    What would you expect to pay in the USA for the privilege of using BBM?

Urgent Please! ...................... thanks for any advice ..................... Simon
    08-02-13 04:54 AM
    My son has just moved from the UK to Wichita in the USA for 4 years of University.
    He took with him his beloved (unlocked) Curve 3g and thought he would simply buy a prepay SIM in the US and continue to use his phone as he has in the UK, especially for BBM and email.

In the UK he has been paying �10 (about $15) per month with T Mobile for all services ... BIS, 400 texts, 1MB data and pay as you use minuets.
    In the T Mobile store in Wichita he has been told that it would be a minimum of $50 per month for the same services!

Is this true?

Surly customers in the USA do not have to spend 5 times more than we do in the UK for a fairly basic bundle which includes being able to use BBM (+ data and texts)

Is he looking in the wrong place or asking for the wrong services?
    What would you expect to pay in the USA for the privilege of using BBM?

Urgent Please! ...................... thanks for any advice ..................... Simon
    That sounds close to right. I'm not sure if they have it anymore but t mobile did have a $30 prepaid plan that included 100 talk and unlimited texting and data. You could only sign up for that plan on the web not store. That plan gives the most bang for the buck as far as prepaid. I'm not sure about other pay as you go. Not a lot of experience.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-02-13 at 10:43 AM.
    08-02-13 06:47 AM
    They seem to have that deal online but its then + another $10 per month for BIS .... I can't understand why you guys have to spend over $25 per month ($300 per year) for the same service we get in the UK, at a time when UK carriers are being constantly slated for overcharging and are being forced to lower there prices further!
    I was expecting him to pay around $15 - $20 per month ..................... guess he'll have to start using another messaging service on his phone and find wi-fi for his emails via his Playbook!
    08-02-13 07:59 AM
    Government in North America is more concerned about breaking up supposed monopolies 'for the good of the consumer' than they are about actually protecting the consumer and ensureing the monopolies are providing services at a fair price.... for instance, I have a Curve on BIS with a Canadian telco with unlimited weekday minutes, unlimited eveneing and weekend minutes, unlimited messaging and 1GB of data with visual voicemail, call display and a long distance add on which all comes to just under $85/month plus regulatory fees + taxes...

Having an account with them for 35 years, having all of our services bundled with them and being bothered to pick up the phone and call them.. I get that all for basically $60 a month.
    Sadly enough, that's a way better deal than we had previously for a shared plan where we shared 250 minutes and 1GB of data, had unlimited received and 100 sent (each) text messages no voicemail, no call display no long distance add on but an add on that allowed for unlimited talk, messaging and long distance to 5 numbers (each) of our choosing that we could change once a month.

The telcos here in NA have a great scam going on and right now, the Canadian companies are trying to block Verizon from being able to come in and buy up some wireless spectrum all because their user base is something like 4 times the combind total of the big 3 (Rogers/Bell/Telus) already established.
    08-02-13 09:12 AM
    On a side note, please tell him to be careful. There are some downright awful parts of Wichita.
    08-02-13 09:15 AM
    On a side note, please tell him to be careful. There are some downright awful parts of Wichita.
    Many thanks ................. I'd BBM him with the warning but Hey !!!
    I still can't get my head round the cost of mobile plans in America ... guess it should make me feel pleased with the UK deal we have.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-02-13 09:38 AM
    They seem to have that deal online but its then + another $10 per month for BIS .... I can't understand why you guys have to spend over $25 per month ($300 per year) for the same service we get in the UK, at a time when UK carriers are being constantly slated for overcharging and are being forced to lower there prices further!
    I was expecting him to pay around $15 - $20 per month ..................... guess he'll have to start using another messaging service on his phone and find wi-fi for his emails via his Playbook!
    I didn't know it was an additional cost for BIS. I used it with a Nexus a few months back and didn't have additional charges. Guess it's just passing off the BIS charge to the customer. But I agree 100% with you. Our carriers over here suck and their prepaid plans are expensive too. For users who need data, carriers really keep the prices high.
    08-02-13 10:42 AM
    AT&T has a $25 prepaid plan for 250 mins and unlimited text. Add 50MB a data for $5. So $30 altogether. This and the T-mob plan is probably the best you're going to find for prepaid data as far as price is concerned.
    simonbarnes likes this.
    08-02-13 10:49 AM
    I use Simple Mobile. Unlimited talk/text/web for $40/month. This includes 500 mb high speed data (then throttled to 2G) and BIS. I don't know if ATT prepaid will support BIS. Simple Mobile is the cheapest prepaid the I have found that works with BIS.

https://www.simplemobile.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0NLewNDM2N7HUj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJdDL x8jQMdPYyCPMxNDTwDPJyD3c39DEwcjfXD9aPwKjEwx6_A380I qsAAB3A00M-N8nINdFRUBADuhRUq/?s=y
    08-02-13 10:59 AM
    If he is going to be there that long, why doesn't he just get a subsidized Q10 or Z10 phone on contract? The contract pricing for the plan may be cheaper and there could be special student plans.
    simonbarnes likes this.
    08-02-13 01:17 PM
    Thanks for all the advice ... he has gone with T Mobile's $30 pm and no BIS.
    I do think that you folk Stateside should be really kicking up a fuss at your charges and push for them to be brought inline with what we have to pay in Europe, I think your carriers are having a laugh!!
    Thanks again
    08-03-13 01:12 PM