Hope someone can help me out with this. I'm going on holidays to Mexico - Cabo - next week for a week. After doing a bit of looking around I'm starting to worry that downloading emails could be very expensive while I'm there. Does anyone have any experience with this? I generally only receive about, say, 60 emails a day and I currently have a phone/data plan with Rogers that more than meets my needs.

What about sending emails? Ka-ching?

But I"m wondering if I should just - gasp! - leave my Blackberry turned off while away which I would rather not do since it's for work use, too (I"m self-employed).

???????
    11-03-07 08:50 PM
    Without an International data plan, your data usage can get quite expensive in a hurry. It's not uncommon to be charged 1.5 to 3 cents per kilobyte. 60 e-mails a day @ 5 kb per would run you around $8-$10 per day. Where that data can run up in a hurry is if you use any other data features or if your e-mail has any attachments.
    11-04-07 06:58 AM
    Emails are pushed to your device in 2KB 'chunks' (which is easy to do with non-HTML text).

If you have to click 'More' to view more of the message, then another 2KB is sent to the device.
    11-04-07 08:16 AM
    Emails are pushed to your device in 2KB 'chunks' (which is easy to do with non-HTML text).

If you have to click 'More' to view more of the message, then another 2KB is sent to the device.
    I know so little about how data charges work on these. I have a Curve so don't have the "more" button. Are you saying that if I were to just look at the subject line or, say, the first paragraph or so of an email I'm charged less than were I to look at the entire email? I just checked my provider and they charge 5 cents per KB which is pretty hefty.

I wouldn't be opening any attachments so that's not a concern but if I knew that reading an entire - large - email would incur more costs that would help me out a lot.
    11-04-07 10:48 AM
    You'll be able to read the entire contents of most emails since they are sent text only. When I say 'More' button I meant you'll scroll down thru the message and see a vertical line with 'More Available'. Then you click wheel/press menu button and click More or More All.

You may want to go into your Message options and set Auto More to 'No' so that you're not pulling down additional data without your manual say so.
    11-04-07 11:28 AM
    You'll be able to read the entire contents of most emails since they are sent text only. When I say 'More' button I meant you'll scroll down thru the message and see a vertical line with 'More Available'. Then you click wheel/press menu button and click More or More All.

You may want to go into your Message options and set Auto More to 'No' so that you're not pulling down additional data without your manual say so.
    Thanks - that helps a lot.
    11-04-07 11:51 AM
    I know there is a place in Rockport Ontario where I dive and I always pick up an American site and last time I made 1 call and got two messages and on my bill I had an extra 10 dollar charge. This is know to be a bad spot so I got a credit but that will give you an idea that it will be very costly may want to call Rogers another option I have read on here is to get a sim card in the place you are visiting not sure if that would apply but if you do not ask you will not know
    11-04-07 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD