I know there's been some discussion on whether Sony could have benefited from using a BlackBerry Enterprise solution (nope), but I think this situation is more apt. Sadly, there's no cure for human error.

Actually there is, but they're... not nice.

Impostors bilk Omaha's Scoular Co. out of $17.2 million

Posted via CB10
    CarlosTavares likes this.
    02-04-15 06:06 PM
    Who knew it was so easy to just make up a fake email address, send a message to an executive in charge of money and have him send you money no questions asked. Darwin award finalist.
    02-04-15 06:23 PM
    Article says he's no longer employed there; I wonder if there's any connection?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 06:27 PM
    Either the scammers did exhaustive research or it was luck. According to the article, Scoular is a 6.2 billion annual revenue company. 17.2 million is a drop in the bucket for them.

Most breaches are "people " breaches aka social engineering. Simple safeguards are now in place I'm sure but it was an expensive lesson to learn.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    02-04-15 06:37 PM
    Reading further, someone knew something and used it. The emails were from an email address NOT NORMALLY USED by the company president. They said they wanted for keep it secret and not infringe in SEC regulations. Either this guy was an ***** , the corporate culture of that organization has problems , the environment is very permissive or he was in on it.

Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-04-15 06:55 PM
    They most likely did a little research beforehand, McMurtry most likely wouldn't have gone ahead if it was an email from the head of their HR department. Or vice versa - anyone getting an email from the CEO other than the money guy may not have been able to do the transfers.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 06:56 PM
    All I can say is wow, just wow. How could any executive act unilaterally on that amount of money? I was a senior executive in a huge international finance company that dealt with mega deals. Not a single transaction anywhere near these amounts could ever go out the door without multiple authentications.
    02-04-15 06:59 PM
    All I can say is wow, just wow. How could any executive act unilaterally on that amount of money? I was a senior executive in a huge international finance company that dealt with mega deals. Not a single transaction anywhere near these amounts could ever go out the door without multiple authentications.
    See below:

[...]They said they wanted for keep it secret and not infringe in SEC regulations. [...]This guy was in on it.
    At face value it certainly looks like embezzlement - this McMurtry fellow was working for the 55th largest privately held company in the US, and he's coming off as looking like a chump here. If it's not an international cybercrime then he's the fall guy. My opinion, of course.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-15 07:17 PM
    Lots of unanswered questions. I think he was the patsy. Doing business in China REQUIRES "fragrant grease". This may have been their way of doing it and details leaked or numbers didn't look right to someone not in the loop.

Feigned incompetence is a lot better than embezzlement. He may have been that stupid but I wonder.

02-04-15 08:50 PM
    Security is not only hardware, software, firewalls, and MDM.

Security is not something that you buy and set up, security is something that you DO. It's so easy, apparently, to get in undiscovered ...

This guy knows how to do "it" (I mean the dirty work):

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ji...er-2013-4?op=1

So what policies are in place to stop this?
    Have we ever been fooled..? :-)

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-05-15 12:24 AM
    Doesn't need to be an "old-fashioned" IT hack, get through the firewall, then go rampant like this very latest massive scale corporate hack...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=995023

Health Insurer Anthem copped it this time. Is our private information save in corporate and government hands?

  Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?  
    02-05-15 12:28 AM