I am very passionate about my BlackBerry, and I know all of you are too (btw, glad to be back on the forums)...so I ran across this article today while checking my tech news: from the WSJ (since I am one post short of being able to post links) - mobile banking apps on iPhone/Android have been found to have bugs. I'll discuss this first before posting my second link. This article is what makes BlackBerry even more special. Since BlackBerry encrypts their data, it's more secure, right? Therefore, it usually doesn't encounter these security issues that iPhone and Android seem to be having with banking apps. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want bugs in my banking app. Another article I ran into that is more in line with my topic...Bank of America and Citigroup are considering switching to iPhones from BlackBerry for corporate use. That was kind of like a knife going into my heart. I just don't think this is a smart move, because iPhones cannot create spreadsheets and documents. BlackBerries can. If iPhones, do them, then I haven't heard about it. And iPhone is mostly fun (hint hint - Angry Birds) - besides email and web surfing, I haven't seen other productivity from it. Here's the second article: Yahoo! News - BlackBerry's corporate dominance seen eroding. I would like other opinions on this issue - I'm kind of feeling I'm just a tad biased on this...
    11-05-10 12:09 PM
    from the WSJ (since I am one post short of being able to post links) - mobile banking apps on iPhone/Android have been found to have bugs. ...
    The central problem is that the apps, which run on Apple Inc.'s iPhone and Android-based devices from Google Inc., are storing a user's information in the memory of a cellphone, a basic lapse that the security researcher who found the flaws said could allow a cybercriminal to access a person's financial accounts.

The data could be gleaned if a criminal got physical access to the phone. It could also be obtained remotely if an attacker were able to con a user into visiting a malicious website, according to Andrew Hoog, chief investigative officer of viaForensics

Wireless app development is a relatively new field and there is a shortage of skilled programmers. Moreover, companies are being pushed to crank out these applications quickly, which raises the chance of flaws being introduced in the apps.

"It's not the end of the world," said Mr. Hoog. "But it's just sloppy. These guys should not be storing this data on a phone."

Read more: Banks Rush to Fix Security Flaws in Wireless Apps - WSJ.com
    Hacking into Bank accounts is pretty serious stuff.

I would expect the Banks will be very proactive, they are on the hook for fraudulent losses. Going to be a few all nighters dealing with that issue.

I don't see BlackBerry mentioned, but an unsecured BlackBerry would be just as vulnerable to sloppy coding.
    11-05-10 01:50 PM
    Hacking into Bank accounts is pretty serious stuff.

I would expect the Banks will be very proactive, they are on the hook for fraudulent losses. Going to be a few all nighters dealing with that issue.

I don't see BlackBerry mentioned, but an unsecured BlackBerry would be just as vulnerable to sloppy coding.
    I know, and I'm a customer of one of the companies! I'm just glad I'm not the banking customer with the iPhone/Android right now...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 01:56 PM
    Bank of America and Citigroup are considering switching to iPhones from BlackBerry for corporate use. That was kind of like a knife going into my heart. ...
    The previous article makes you wonder about the wisdom of that decision.

I suspect the mid-level and regional executives will have that option. Privileged access to corporate resources behind the fire wall will remain BlackBerry only.
    11-05-10 02:07 PM
    I'm not sure you can argue as simply as a banking app for BB is more secure then the iPhone version simply because you belive the network traffic is secure. In fact, it's been discussed recently that RIM's traffic on BIS is no more secure then that of other platforms. With that said, it's not hard for a developer to write a buggy and unsecure banking app for either platform... despite how said platform communicates from point a to point b in the grand scheme of things.
    11-05-10 02:15 PM
    US and North American companies may be doing this but European and Middle Eastern companies are following the opposite trend. Thats why the whole "Governments VS RIM" fights started. Companies want to use secure and private communication methods whereas governments want oversight. This was not spoken of 4 years ago.
    Probably because RIM didn't have a big enough footprint across the globe at that time. It's no secret that RIM's been expanding globably the past couple of years more agressively then before. I think that most countries in the other parts of the world didn't have RIM products to enjoy before, so what we're seeing now is more of a "it's new" bug then anything else. Sure, people are concerned about security, but you cannot just blindly say all other platforms are unsecure simply because it's not a RIM product. In fact, the same (less secure) could be said about RIM products now since they've agreed to government monitoring in all countries discussed in recent news stories.
    11-05-10 02:38 PM
    ^^ You certain can say that from a marketing standpoint.

That's apples bread and butter and it works better than reality...
    11-05-10 02:49 PM
    The previous article makes you wonder about the wisdom of that decision.

I suspect the mid-level and regional executives will have that option. Privileged access to corporate resources behind the fire wall will remain BlackBerry only.
    A recent article said froyo had 88 critical vulnerabilities, iphone has a simple password bypass. You want details of your multi-billion takeover on these platforms?

How many vulnerabilities have been reported with bes based BBs?

11-05-10 11:31 PM
    A recent article said froyo had 88 critical vulnerabilities, iphone has a simple password bypass. You want details of your multi-billion takeover on these platforms?

How many vulnerabilities have been reported with bes based BBs?

Stop cross-posting. It's against forum rules.

11-06-10 12:04 AM
    These crosspostings are annoying.

Companies only switch to what's more economical.

11-06-10 02:42 AM
    These crosspostings are annoying.

Companies only switch to what's more economical.

Hopefully companies use more than that criteria for their decision making!
    11-06-10 06:53 AM
    Hopefully companies use more than that criteria for their decision making!
    Here is what I think will happen. Companies will allow personal phones to cut cost. They will have to allow a range of the top types (Android, Apple, Blackberry, WinMo) so they aren't forcing you to buy something you don't want, at least initially. Here is where Blackberry, as we know it now, has a severe disadvantage because now your personal phone is your business phone, but by bringing in your own phone your going to want to it to do what you want it do both during and after work. So if many employees start using non-blackberries, to avoid the BES fee by providers and because they are just not up to par on the non-messaging side compared to the competition, the company could look at the BES and the licensing and low usage and just axe it from the list since the other platforms all support activesync, and to save more money. If I were RIM I would work with the carriers to try to get them to stop charging more for BES, since they really don't have to do much to make it work. But in the end, they have to get their consumer experience on the devices up to the competitions level.
    11-06-10 08:56 AM
    Stop cross-posting. It's against forum rules.

If I paraphrase an idea to make a point is it technically a cross post?

All of these threads are saying the same thing but expressing the idea differently. With the exception WM7 droid and iphone are simply not ready for primetime.

If security is not important why do companies encryp the hard drive of desktops and laptops?

11-06-10 09:05 AM
    I just don't think this is a smart move, because iPhones cannot create spreadsheets and documents. BlackBerries can. If iPhones, do them, then I haven't heard about it. And iPhone is mostly fun (hint hint - Angry Birds) - besides email and web surfing, I haven't seen other productivity from it.
    You honestly didnt know Android and iphone have had the same Docs to Go that BB has had for quite a while now?
    11-06-10 11:54 AM
    You honestly didnt know Android and iphone have had the same Docs to Go that BB has had for quite a while now?
    A lot of people don't know what they are talking about.
    11-06-10 12:00 PM
    Hence, the need for the CrackBerry community to come together and share the knowledge.
    11-06-10 12:01 PM
    Hence, the need for the CrackBerry community to come together and share the knowledge.
    Exactly. But, sometimes sharing info on other platforms upsets the diehard BB users here. And I am not talking about the deliberate bashing threads, I'm talking about unbiased information.
    11-06-10 12:08 PM
    I understand, It was a post you made that corrected a misconception I held about email delivery. I now know, Android does Google GMail really, really well.

11-06-10 12:29 PM
    I understand, It was a post you made that corrected a misconception I held about email delivery. I now know, Android does Google GMail really, really well.

And hotmail and yahoo. And anything that runs through exchange.

I am happy to see some people don't take information as forcing an OS down someones throat.
    11-06-10 12:46 PM
    I am happy to see, members that can engage in polite and productive discussions with members from vastly different backgrounds and cultures.

What I don't like, is cleaning up after a bar room brawl.

11-06-10 01:11 PM
    I am happy to see, members that can engage in polite and productive discussions with members from vastly different backgrounds and cultures.

Yea bashing threads are no fun and are useless. They are not worth the drama they bring.
    11-06-10 01:14 PM
    Nope! Now I know! LOL but it still stands that I'm more trustful of my BB than I am of other smartphones...and who knows, BB may have security issues in the future...right now, it's pretty safe. I'm learning as I go, and I learn new things every day
    11-06-10 01:19 PM
    Except that Bank of America and Citigroup are not going to replace their company issued BlackBerry devices with iPhones. They are running trials based on allowing corporate email support to iPhones. Companies run these trials and pilot programs all the time. They are not going to get rid of their BES servers or the phones even if they do decide to extend some support to iPhone or Android devices. There is more to RIM's enterprise business than email. Reading articles instead of headlines helps for these topics.
    11-07-10 01:58 AM

Some people don't seem to like it on either side, when you can justify one phone over another. Even when the phone in questions, has allegedly inferior hardware but better software. LOL.
    11-09-10 10:07 AM
    Here is what I think will happen. Companies will allow personal phones to cut cost. They will have to allow a range of the top types (Android, Apple, Blackberry, WinMo) so they aren't forcing you to buy something you don't want, at least initially. Here is where Blackberry, as we know it now, has a severe disadvantage because now your personal phone is your business phone, but by bringing in your own phone your going to want to it to do what you want it do both during and after work. So if many employees start using non-blackberries, to avoid the BES fee by providers and because they are just not up to par on the non-messaging side compared to the competition, the company could look at the BES and the licensing and low usage and just axe it from the list since the other platforms all support activesync, and to save more money. If I were RIM I would work with the carriers to try to get them to stop charging more for BES, since they really don't have to do much to make it work. But in the end, they have to get their consumer experience on the devices up to the competitions level.
    Right, I totally agree here. Right now, we are a BlackBerry only shop. But, times are changing!
    11-09-10 11:12 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD