Just think of it this way. 99% of what you do on the device has a policy that will allow an admin to track it. Now whether or not your BES admin has that policy enabled or not is another question.
    10-16-08 12:21 PM
    New Bold can't get BES to activate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got my new bold today and first upgraded to 167 and then transferred all the data using Device Switch Wizard from my old 8300 curve to the new blackberry.
    Went to the site(I use AT&T)hxxps://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and changed the devices and input the new PIN and IMEI.
    I had my old 8300 getting email from work from the enterpise server (email, calendar automatically update between bb and server) in addition getting my personal email. I resend the service book and after a few minutes my personal email started working fine.

Then I tried doing the enterprise activation, inputed work email and I have the password from admin at work (now the Bold also asks for Activation Server Address) the curve did ask for that info so I left blank. I try to activate and I get the message "An Error occurred. Please contact your System Administrator".

Any idea how can I get the Enterprise Activation going?

Does the administrator has to change the BB Pin somewhere on the server before this can work?

Thanks for all the input.
    10-19-08 07:42 AM
    I've spent a lot of time recently and haven't found definitive answers to these 3 specific questions. I find a lot of commentary on what people should or shouldn't do with a company device but not solid answers.

1) If I have my corporate email through BES and add my personal Yahoo Mail through BIS does my company have any sort of access to my emails sent or received through the Yahoo BIS account? (short of commandeering the device itself and looking at it)
    We can't log inbound BIS messages.

But we can force ALL outbound emails to go through the BES, and log that way.
    10-20-08 07:51 AM
    New Bold can't get BES to activate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got my new bold today and first upgraded to 167 and then transferred all the data using Device Switch Wizard from my old 8300 curve to the new blackberry.
    Went to the site(I use AT&T)hxxps://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular and changed the devices and input the new PIN and IMEI.
    I had my old 8300 getting email from work from the enterpise server (email, calendar automatically update between bb and server) in addition getting my personal email. I resend the service book and after a few minutes my personal email started working fine.

Then I tried doing the enterprise activation, inputed work email and I have the password from admin at work (now the Bold also asks for Activation Server Address) the curve did ask for that info so I left blank. I try to activate and I get the message "An Error occurred. Please contact your System Administrator".

Any idea how can I get the Enterprise Activation going?

Does the administrator has to change the BB Pin somewhere on the server before this can work?

Thanks for all the input.
    Leave the server address blank.. It's there in the 8820's also and should be left blank.

As for the PIN #, if the BB admin did not remove your account then re-set it up, you wont be able to activate that Bold.
    10-20-08 11:00 AM
    This is a great thread! Does anyone know if the BES can follow you if the device is powered off?
    12-05-08 10:21 PM
    Thanks Jeff! Yeah, I'm getting confused...I bought the phone in store (not a work phone) and just signed up for the 99.99/mo Blackberry Email & Web plan. I spoke to a CS rep recently, and he ended up dropping me down to the 29.99 BB Internet/Email instead of ("Blackberry provisioning" was on the bill) the bulk plan. This was where I was curious as to if I was previously on BES... Still trying to figure out all of the differences-

no you had the plan but no BES connection.. basically your phone alloud you to connect to a BES server. If you never connected it to one it didn't do anything to your phone..

It was acting like BIS..

if that makes sense?
    12-05-08 10:54 PM
    This is a great thread! Does anyone know if the BES can follow you if the device is powered off?
    Nope, power must be on.
    12-08-08 01:09 PM
    If I move the SIM from my BES activated phone to any other phone and use it for standard voice/data/SMS, will the BES admin still be able to see the activity? I'm assuming no, but just wanted to know.
    12-31-08 07:24 PM
    If I move the SIM from my BES activated phone to any other phone and use it for standard voice/data/SMS, will the BES admin still be able to see the activity? I'm assuming no, but just wanted to know.
    That is a great question that I would also like to know the answer too. Anyone know?
    01-12-09 04:18 PM
    No, the BES admin will not be able to.. If the BES admin happens to be your company carrier admin, then yes. =)

I happen to be both for my company, so you can't hide from me. =)
    01-12-09 05:17 PM
    I have a couple of other questions for you. Thanks by the way for answering all of this. I have a couple of apps on my BES phone that I am now a little concerned about having on there. The first is Jabplite (a personal spending/budget tracker). Can they see the info in this program?

2. The other app is Twitterberry. I don't use it that often during working hours but my wife and I use the app to keep each other informed on what is going on. Can they see that I am using this app and see what is being twittered? I have my twitterberry app configured so that it uses BIBS connection mode (BIS?).

3. Finally, I have a personal email account (a gmail account) configured through my carriers BIS system. Again, not used that often during working hours, but just curious as to what my employer can see.

I also use slacker radio on occassion. I guess I really don't care that they know that. I generally use it for cached stations. I guess if they cared about this, they wouldn't have bought me a Bold.

Thanks for helping clear all of this up.
    01-12-09 10:34 PM
    One more I just thought of. If I use opera browser instead of the bb browser, can the BES admin still see my browsing history. Thanks.
    01-12-09 10:40 PM
    I'm not saying.. you people with company Blackberrys should know better..
    01-23-09 10:20 AM
    1) I have a BES account provided by our company. I read somewhere that BES Administrator can read my SMS and Calls if we are using BES 4.1 and above. Is this possible even if my Data Services is switched OFF (BES Connection: not connected) but Voice Services Status is Available?

2) I have 2 SIMs (SIM_1 - BES and SIM_2 - No BlackBerry Service). If I use SIM_2 on a blackberry enabled phone, will the BES Admin be able to read my SMS on the phone?
    02-20-09 10:16 AM
    I've become the BES Admin because my company decided we should have a BES server for the 5 users with BB's (I personally don't have one, but am the IT here). I know nothing about the BES server and was walked through the initial install. My boss just asked me to find out if users are replying to company email but going through (what I guess is referred to as) BIS account. I've been looking through forums and help files and see plenty of reference that this is possible but no indication on where to begin looking. To be honest I'm not even sure what the correct question to ask is, which makes it hard to find the answer
    04-22-09 09:03 AM
    very informative discussion
    04-22-09 09:09 AM
    are there any easy to read books on BES and BIS?

from easy to read I mean books for those people who are very new to blackberry and BES/BIS while having less known how about technical stuff.
    04-22-09 09:10 AM
    1) I have a BES account provided by our company. I read somewhere that BES Administrator can read my SMS and Calls if we are using BES 4.1 and above. Is this possible even if my Data Services is switched OFF (BES Connection: not connected) but Voice Services Status is Available?

2) I have 2 SIMs (SIM_1 - BES and SIM_2 - No BlackBerry Service). If I use SIM_2 on a blackberry enabled phone, will the BES Admin be able to read my SMS on the phone?
    As soon as you re-enable Data Services, your SMS and call logs will be backed up to the BES.
    04-22-09 10:16 AM
    are there any easy to read books on BES and BIS?

from easy to read I mean books for those people who are very new to blackberry and BES/BIS while having less known how about technical stuff.
    There's a ton of knowledgebase articles on blackberry.com

manuals, etc..
    04-22-09 10:33 AM
    I've become the BES Admin because my company decided we should have a BES server for the 5 users with BB's (I personally don't have one, but am the IT here). I know nothing about the BES server and was walked through the initial install. My boss just asked me to find out if users are replying to company email but going through (what I guess is referred to as) BIS account. I've been looking through forums and help files and see plenty of reference that this is possible but no indication on where to begin looking. To be honest I'm not even sure what the correct question to ask is, which makes it hard to find the answer
    If they are on a BES, email is being sent through the BES. If they were on BIS and BES, they'd be getting duplicate emails, and duplicate everything..

Outlook Web Access is required for BIS to connect to a corporate email server. No OWA = No BIS.

If they have both setup, I believe BES takes precedence.
    04-22-09 10:36 AM

1. They cannot read calls, they can only see what #'s are coming in and what #'s you are dialing.

2. No data = nothing connecting to BES. The moment you put the SIM_1 back in, it'll automatically connect back into the BES and backup the logs.
    04-22-09 10:38 AM
    All this is why it's best to be nice to your BES admin. Maybe give them a little something on System Administrator Appreciation Day (last Friday in July.)

Can we track all this sure. But as for me, I really usually don't, I have better things to do than to see who called you, if you missed the call, read your emails, sms etc.

I only do this when I have a real need, like a directive from HR or if it would help my troubleshooting an issue the user has. However, I haven't exactly said much to them about what info I can get, so they haven't made the request.

The worst I do is sometimes see how long a device hasn't connected to my server. I don't care if it hasn't been used, but too often users rely on me to call them when they have an issue, or don't tell me they lost their Blackberry.
    04-22-09 10:56 AM
    Am I being tracked sniffs? Can they read blackberry messenger?

Blackberry Curve 8310

Under GPS:

GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Location:

Latitude: N 0 degrees 0.00
    Longitude: W 0 degrees 0.00
    Fix Time: None
    Number of Satellites: 0
    Accuracty: 0.0m

Under Enterprise Activation:

Email:
    Password:
    Pin: (my pin# is displayed)

(my colleague says his status says Activated April 28, 2009)

when I ALT CNFG in the email:

Syncable Service: Desktop
    Service ID: (states a number letter)
    Wireless Sync: Yes
    Session Timeout: 20min
    Batch Sync: 10min
    Wireless User: Enabled
    Number of Retries: 0
    Ignore Session T/O: 30min
    Activated users: 1
    05-14-09 02:16 PM
    The only way you aren't being tracked is if you go to GPS settings under the device and you get a popup that says "Location tracking has been disabled for this device"

If you did not receive this message, and you are on BES 4.1.6, your GPS coordinates are being tracked in the BES DB. =)

The ALT-CNFG has nothing to do with it.. that's merely a way of letting you cut the e-cable from your BES and re-establish it..

So..to put it another way.. Location Tracking is enabled by default, the bes admin has to go in and disable it.
    05-14-09 03:28 PM
    This is a great thread. Thanks for getting this stuff straightened out for us.

I'm a bit put out as my device will be personally bought and paid for along with my plan which will include BES so I can utilize company email/calendar etc from the phone. It's frustrating that the service and device I'm going to be paying for can provide all this to our IT dept. I would TOTALLY understand if they were handling the costs of the device and plan but this is not the case for me. In essence, I am giving them lots of stuff they have no real right to because I want to do my job better. =(

Just to be clear, I have no real problem with them logging and tracking all the corp email and all exchange data... it's the call logs/texts/gmail stuff that I really don't think they should be able to get at.
    06-27-09 02:48 AM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD