Hope it's not too late to add to this thread...

1)I want to know if my employer using BES Admin can read my Blackberry Messenger threads, even though I "end conversation" and the threads are erased from my phone and the recipient's phone?

2) If I switched to Yahoo Messenger or AOL AIM on my Blackberry, would those chats also be readable by my IT Admin at work?

Thanks everyone!
    07-08-09 07:35 PM
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    07-08-09 08:18 PM
    Thanks Jeff for the answer re. BBM. What about using a 3rd party app like Yahoo Messenger for chatting? Are actual transcripts of those also routinely logged by my corporate BES admin?
    07-09-09 09:38 AM
    Well I have work with a computer manufacturing company and they actually subscribe to a no voice call on their bb not only its being tightly controlled by BES.

How bad is that huh talking about policy and stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 10:06 AM
    I sent my buddy a BBM yest. after noon asking him if he knew his BES admin. Before he responded his BBM name changed to a nick name he used probably 3 months ago and he said all of his BBM contacts were deleted. He said a message popped up that said another BlackBerry being used on his account or something to that affect.

Can someone explain what happened? Was "big brother" aka the BES admin messing with his BB? I'd normally say this was a weird glitch, but to happen right after I bbm him about the bes admin? That's weird.

Are there key words that when used bring attention to your BlackBerry? Examples? Like "I hate my boss" would be hilarious..or maybe "bes admin" is a keyword?
    07-09-09 10:21 AM
    As Snazzy asked above, can the BES Admins log transcripts of 3rd party IM conversations and actually read the text? Specifically MSN Messenger?

Verizon Storm
    V 4.7.0.148
    Platform 4.0.0.181
    08-17-09 08:13 PM
    Third party IM and RECEIVED BIS messages cannot be audited. Everything else can.
    08-17-09 08:20 PM
    I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm also curious about Windows Live Messenger. I have AIM, Google Chat, Yahoo and Live Messenger in my Instant Messaging folder. AIM, Yahoo and Google have been disabled by IT policy, but Live Messenger works. I was using it today and when I flipped back to my Messages folder, I saw the last typed message in the conversation displayed - live. If the recipient typed back, then that message would be displayed. When the conversation ended, it dissapeared from the Messages folder. I know Microsoft just announced a partnership with RIM and this leads to my question: Can Windows Live Messenger be monitored? Can my BES Admin read transcripts of the chat?
    Last edited by serranored; 08-18-09 at 07:39 PM.
    08-18-09 06:53 PM
    So are websites visited via tethering tracked and reported through the BES?
    this is something that I'm curious about. Is browsing history logged when a BB is being tethered for internet service? Or just the amount of data being used?
    08-26-09 07:48 PM
    There's no privacy anymore, we just have to get used to it. No email providers are deleting emails anymore, everything is logged. Google has done that for a long time now.

It's worse with company phones, I have a friend with a surveillance company. If it's their phone they can listen to you, they can track and record you. Your phone is never really off unless you take the battery out. Industrial espionage happens a lot. He'd be out of business if it didn't

08-27-09 05:19 AM
    And it get's worse when RIM releases Blackberry Mobile Voice.

It integrates with Cisco Unity, allowing for 5 digit dialing, and guess what.. call logging.
    08-27-09 11:01 AM
    One more I just thought of. If I use opera browser instead of the bb browser, can the BES admin still see my browsing history. Thanks.

I'm curious to this as well. Can anyone check this?

09-11-09 01:32 PM
    Anyone?

09-16-09 07:49 PM
    I don't think these questions have been addressed yet. I have a personal Blackberry on a BIS account. My company uses an Exchange server for email and does have owa access that I use very frequently via the browser in my phone.

I have 3 questions.

First, I have the option through the BIS admin site to set this up as an email address on the phone, but does that require paying for a BES account? Or would I have access to my work email through my phone via BIS at no additional charge?

Second, if I do set it up, does it notify IT of the fact that my work email messages are being sent to my BIS BB? We do have a BES server, btw. But I want to have no part of it. They're very restrictive in regards to what sites they allow us to visit. They've also disallowed 3rd party apps as part of their IT policy.

Third, if I did set up the account to get work email on my personal BB, what access, if any, does it give IT personel to what's on my personal BB? And what, if anything, would it sync other than email?
    09-17-09 08:55 AM
    I'm curious to this as well. Can anyone check this?

If you are worried about secure browsing I recommend using a Ironkey flashdrive with their onboard secure session Firefox. It provides secure/encrypted web browsing.
    09-17-09 08:08 PM
    So we established that we are being watched...so the real question is HOW CAN WE GET AROUND IT? Their is always a way. The folks who created the BES have to know.
    09-30-09 08:39 PM
    How do you know what version BES your phone has?
    09-30-09 08:42 PM
    Phone doesn't have a BES version - it's the server side that contains versioning. It is not reported on the BlackBerry so the only way to find out is to ask your friendly (well, friendly if he hasn't read this thread!) BES Administrator.

09-30-09 08:47 PM
    So we established that we are being watched...so the real question is HOW CAN WE GET AROUND IT? Their is always a way. The folks who created the BES have to know.
    Before we tell you, I have a very important question.

Is your resume up to date?
    10-01-09 11:38 AM
    Bear with me, I'm being very very lazy today so I didn't look through the 50 or so threads my search turned up . Is the process to remove "sent from blackberry" different, or possible for a bes device? I don't have one but want to help a coworker.
    10-21-09 12:10 PM
    Only way around it is to wipe the device to disconnect the BES connection, then use jl_cmdr to remove the policy.

That's it.
    10-21-09 01:07 PM
    Bear with me, I'm being very very lazy today so I didn't look through the 50 or so threads my search turned up . Is the process to remove "sent from blackberry" different, or possible for a bes device? I don't have one but want to help a coworker.
    Look in Messages/Options/Email Settings under Use Auto Signature.
    10-21-09 01:18 PM
    Only way around it is to wipe the device to disconnect the BES connection, then use jl_cmdr to remove the policy.

That's it.
    I have searched here and still haven't found a concise answer to: Can messages using bbm or yahoo messenger be tracked? No, Im not using a corporate phone, but does Verizon have a record of instant messages? or are they stored anywhere on my phone/computer?
    thanks.
    10-26-09 07:46 AM
    This is a great thread. Thanks for getting this stuff straightened out for us.

I'm a bit put out as my device will be personally bought and paid for along with my plan which will include BES so I can utilize company email/calendar etc from the phone. It's frustrating that the service and device I'm going to be paying for can provide all this to our IT dept. I would TOTALLY understand if they were handling the costs of the device and plan but this is not the case for me. In essence, I am giving them lots of stuff they have no real right to because I want to do my job better. =(

Just to be clear, I have no real problem with them logging and tracking all the corp email and all exchange data... it's the call logs/texts/gmail stuff that I really don't think they should be able to get at.
    I agree 100% I purchased my BB for personal use but later decided to use BES to perform my job more efficiently. Now, becoming aware that the administrator has access to this type of personal information makes me leery. Even worse, before I had BES set up, I specifically inquired with IT about whether BES would give them access to personal info of ANY kind, and IT said no. I feel mislead.
    10-26-09 12:28 PM
    ...I'm a bit put out as my device will be personally bought and paid for along with my plan which will include BES so I can utilize company email/calendar etc from the phone. It's frustrating that the service and device I'm going to be paying for can provide all this to our IT dept. I would TOTALLY understand if they were handling the costs of the device and plan but this is not the case for me. In essence, I am giving them lots of stuff they have no real right to because I want to do my job better. =(

Just to be clear, I have no real problem with them logging and tracking all the corp email and all exchange data... it's the call logs/texts/gmail stuff that I really don't think they should be able to get at.
    I'm in the same boat. Although I have nothing to hide, it pi55e5 me off to no end that the company has access to my private data. I know I can just get off BES but I want to do more and better because its in my best interest and that of the company too. This is precisely why I have no problems with someone who finds a way around these "security" features.

I wonder what the courts would say if one day this issue came up in a legal challenge.
    10-26-09 01:14 PM
102 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD