My contract with Sprint expires this week. I've forced myself to wait it out before buying a new phone (mostly because the devices I would switch to haven't been carried by Sprint). I'm open to any carrier and a wide variety of devices, and I can't decide which way to go. I'm hoping to utilize the collective knowledge of you forum members to get some direction. Here's the scoop:

I was a long-time Treo user. In 2006, the constant resets pushed my too far, and I picked up an 8800-series phone with Sprint. My loyalty to BB developed quickly with the much more stable device and the incredibly improved battery life. Two years ago, I did an insurance swap for an 8100 device. I adapted quickly to SureType, and I loved the sleek body. When the 8300 series came to Sprint, I test-drove one, but I found I was quicker on SureType than on full QWERTY, and I missed the form factor. I went back to the 8100-series, and I'm currently carrying a pretty seasoned device.

I mostly use my phone for calendar, contacts, and tasks (all synced OTA using Google Sync and MilkSync), email, internet browsing, GPS, and SMS and BBM. I pay about $70/month for unlimited everything except voice minutes. I have 450 of those per month, and I don't come close to using them. I also use my phone frequently as a modem for my laptop when I travel. Ideally, I would keep all of the functions that I use without too steep an increase in my monthly rate (I know I will have to pay a la carte for some of these features on other carriers).

What I'm considering:
    • Sign a contract with Verizon when the Tour is released
    • Wait a little longer for the Tour to be released on Sprint
    • Pick up a Storm with the official .148 version of the OS now released
    • Test-drive a Storm after June 17th with the option to exchange for a Tour in July
    • Sign a contract with Verizon when the Storm 2 is released
    • Pick up a Bold
    • Sign a contract with AT&T when the Onyx is released
    • Good ideas I haven't yet considered, including non-RIM devices

I know I'm losing the form-factor of the Pearl with any of these, but I think that's inevitable at this point. I've read that the 8100 series is being phased out, and I haven't seen rumors of any other tiny candy-bar models in the works. I also am pretty adaptable. I took to SureType very quickly and love it, and I have spent many years on touchscreen devices without a complaint.

Anyone who had the patience to read the long post, thank you, and I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm pretty open-minded right now and am, more than anything, looking to be educated here. So please let me know anything I might want to know. Thanks.
    Last edited by ejchis; 05-31-09 at 12:17 PM.
    05-31-09 12:14 PM
    Well... there is a Pearl 3g that is said to be coming out. I love SureType, not too many like it.

If don't want to pay more, then stay with Sprint. Simply Everything 450 can't be beat IMO. Then again the service that AT&T / Verizon provide can't be beat as well, once again IMHO.

I love AT&T and the service they provide me. If you are happy with Sprint, don't make the device make the decision for you. If it is going to, at least have other reasons. For me it's the following:

UMTS 3G - Simultaneous voice and data
    Service - Better than the other 3 major carrier from my own experience
    Discount - I get 50% off the msc as I work for AT&T
    GSM - Sim card; I can easily switch devices by putting my sim in the new device.
    Phone - along with the reasons above, AT&T has the phones I want. iPhone & Bold, soon the Onyx & Magnum.
    05-31-09 12:27 PM
    Also... Welcome to CrackBerry.com
    05-31-09 12:27 PM
    Thanks, Duvi. You make a good point, and I should state explicitly that I am open to the pros and cons of the different carriers as much as I am open to pros and cons of the different devices. I'm looking for the best all-around setup I can get for my needs. And, from what I've seen so far, it does look like the Sprint Simply Everything plans are tough to beat in terms of cost.

I'll do some snooping around on the 3G Pearl. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by ejchis; 05-31-09 at 01:29 PM.
    05-31-09 12:39 PM
    If you want to have any sort of life, at all, in any small way - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS! I do really dig the folks at ATT; they have been very helpful and seem to know what is up...I paid the early termination fee to get away from Sprint for a variety of reasons and feel the small $ cost was worth my peace of mind.
    Back to the Bold comment - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS! It's like this...remember when you first got a bicycle to work for you and you couldn't imagine walking anywhere? Or...the first time you got a car and you couldn't imagine riding your bike anywhere? Same life changing effect with the Bold...I got mine almost three months ago and can't imagine what kind of life I must have had before it.
    Spend time in the stores actually using the phones; run all the apps; send texts; send and receive e-mails; use the camera...ATT stores in my area allowed me hours (literally) to use and abuse their fully functional display products and after a month of filtering out the various PDAs the Bold absolutely stood out above the rest.
    Make a list of what you really want to accomplish with your new tool and be honest; read some of the forums of people who have recently purchased various phones and get a feel for the pitfalls and advantages of each particular unit. Any time spent researching, comparing and enlightening yourself will be well spent if you end up with the proper unit - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS!
    Now go play!
    05-31-09 02:08 PM
    I have worked for 3 of the 4 major carriers and I currently have the only one I haven't worked for (Verizon) lol

So here are the pro's/con's for each:

T-Mobile:

Pro's: Cheap plans, carries the 8900 and the pearl flip

Con's: Much much less coverage than any other carrier

AT&T:

Pro's: Large Network, Great 3G Speeds, Carries the Bold

Con's: 3G network is not as large as CDMA counterparts, Dropped calls happen more often (although not as much as t-mobile..this can also depend on your area)

Sprint:

Pro's: Great 3G network. Decent plans for power users

Con's: Terrible customer service. Gets new phones way later than everyone else.

Verizon: (this one is just from experience as a customer)

Pro's: Great coverage and 3G network. Great customer service. Primary line can upgrade annually. New every 2 feature for anyone who has been a customer for 2 years.

Con's: Plans are about the same as Sprint. Gets new phones slightly later than everyone else (not as late as Sprint)

So there are pro's and cons to each carrier...I will say I have also been a customer of every single US carrier and the 2 i've been the happiest with are Verizon & AT&T....

I prefer Verizon's network as far as coverage goes...however I like GSM networks because of the sim card/unlocking aspect. If thats not a big deal CDMA is a very good technology.

All in all it really comes down to the network for you I think. The only thing I would say for certain is I wouldn't stay with Sprint. But if the other carriers have good coverage where you are at then it pretty much comes down to the benefits and which phone you like better...The tour is sure to please...I dunno about the Storm 2...I hated the Storm...we'll see on that.
    05-31-09 02:29 PM
    If you want to have any sort of life, at all, in any small way - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS! I do really dig the folks at ATT; they have been very helpful and seem to know what is up...I paid the early termination fee to get away from Sprint for a variety of reasons and feel the small $ cost was worth my peace of mind.
    I did this as well. I had 2 lines...paid the $200 cancellation on both and switched to Verizon. One of the best decisions I have ever made.
    05-31-09 02:30 PM
    Back to the Bold comment - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS! It's like this...remember when you first got a bicycle to work for you and you couldn't imagine walking anywhere? Or...the first time you got a car and you couldn't imagine riding your bike anywhere? Same life changing effect with the Bold...I got mine almost three months ago and can't imagine what kind of life I must have had before it.
    Spend time in the stores actually using the phones; run all the apps; send texts; send and receive e-mails; use the camera...ATT stores in my area allowed me hours (literally) to use and abuse their fully functional display products and after a month of filtering out the various PDAs the Bold absolutely stood out above the rest.
    Make a list of what you really want to accomplish with your new tool and be honest; read some of the forums of people who have recently purchased various phones and get a feel for the pitfalls and advantages of each particular unit. Any time spent researching, comparing and enlightening yourself will be well spent if you end up with the proper unit - DO NOT PUT A BOLD IN YOUR HANDS!
    Now go play!
    Thanks for your response. Based on what I've read, the Bold would be the way to go if I were to buy a currently available device--and maybe even if unreleased devices are considered as well. I hesitate to go that direction for two reasons, which may or may not be legitimate.

First, I am hesitant to make the switch from the smallest RIM units to one of the largest. Even my friends with Curves--the more casual users--marvel at the size and weight of my Pearl. I am very accustomed to this handy little phone.

Second, something in my gut tells me that, when there are three exciting devices due to come out in the next, it's crazy to buy something that's been available for several months. Intuition and conventional wisdom say new should equal better. I know there is debate about that concept, especially regarding the Bold and the upcoming models. The feeling exists though.

I do need to get out to the stores to try some devices out. I hate going into cellular carrier stores though. It's one of my least favorite places to be. I just need to bite the bullet on a weekend afternoon and hit a couple of stores for a few hours.

One question back on my original post: should I abandon the option of buying a first-generation Storm? Would buying one of those devices be pure stupidity, or is this an option worth looking into more? I have to admit that I'm very intrigued by the Storm, and, prior to that release of the device, I had intended to go that route when my contract expired this spring. Obviously we know a lot more now than we did then. Thanks again.
    05-31-09 02:32 PM
    Lol @ the above post.

Seriously though, do the research and try to make an informed decision. I had sprint, verizon and now at and t. All have there faults. I stay with at and t mainly for the fact they are the main carrier here in alaska(no sprint or verizon). I was happy with all of them. I like at and t, they seem to get the most phones and their service has treayted me well. Good luck on your decision. Oh yeah! DO NOT PUT THE BOlD IN YOUR HANDS! Its and awesime phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 02:33 PM
    I have worked for 3 of the 4 major carriers and I currently have the only one I haven't worked for (Verizon) lol

So here are the pro's/con's for each:

T-Mobile:

Pro's: Cheap plans, carries the 8900 and the pearl flip

Con's: Much much less coverage than any other carrier

AT&T:

Pro's: Large Network, Great 3G Speeds, Carries the Bold

Con's: 3G network is not as large as CDMA counterparts, Dropped calls happen more often (although not as much as t-mobile..this can also depend on your area)

Sprint:

Pro's: Great 3G network. Decent plans for power users

Con's: Terrible customer service. Gets new phones way later than everyone else.

Verizon: (this one is just from experience as a customer)

Pro's: Great coverage and 3G network. Great customer service. Primary line can upgrade annually. New every 2 feature for anyone who has been a customer for 2 years.

Con's: Plans are about the same as Sprint. Gets new phones slightly later than everyone else (not as late as Sprint)

So there are pro's and cons to each carrier...I will say I have also been a customer of every single US carrier and the 2 i've been the happiest with are Verizon & AT&T....

I prefer Verizon's network as far as coverage goes...however I like GSM networks because of the sim card/unlocking aspect. If thats not a big deal CDMA is a very good technology.

All in all it really comes down to the network for you I think. The only thing I would say for certain is I wouldn't stay with Sprint. But if the other carriers have good coverage where you are at then it pretty much comes down to the benefits and which phone you like better...The tour is sure to please...I dunno about the Storm 2...I hated the Storm...we'll see on that.
    Great information. Thank you. I think my mind is mostly made-up on switching to one of AT&T or Verizon. Sprint often feels like the thrift-store version of mobile carriers. For a very good price, you get full-functionality of last season's phones.

Maybe my question should actually be this: Bold or one of the unreleased devices? And if the answer is "one of the unreleased devices," which one? Weighing into the pros and cons of each device would be the pros and cons of being on AT&T compared to being on Verizon and vice versa.
    05-31-09 02:42 PM
    Well whatever you do leave Sprint. AT&T and Verizon are both great carriers and either one will treat you right. Do your homework and make an informed decision, but above all, do yourself a huge favor and drop Sprint.
    05-31-09 02:49 PM
    Great information. Thank you. I think my mind is mostly made-up on switching to one of AT&T or Verizon. Sprint often feels like the thrift-store version of mobile carriers. For a very good price, you get full-functionality of last season's phones.

Maybe my question should actually be this: Bold or one of the unreleased devices? And if the answer is "one of the unreleased devices," which one? Weighing into the pros and cons of each device would be the pros and cons of being on AT&T compared to being on Verizon and vice versa.
    Quite honestly I personally will be staying away from the Storm 2...after my experience with the first Storm I really think its worth it to wait for several more touch screen BB's to come out before going that route.

However I will be purchasing the Tour as soon as it comes out...I wouldn't hesitate about the size if I were you...I have had just about every BB there is and the pearl was one of my least favorites. I can't handle how small the screen is. I wouldn't get a Bold...wait it out for the Onyx or the Tour...You will probably be happy with AT&T or Verizon. Honestly I would research both new devices...see which one you like more (and maybe which one comes out sooner) and then go with that.
    05-31-09 02:55 PM
    Thanks for your response. Based on what I've read, the Bold would be the way to go if I were to buy a currently available device--and maybe even if unreleased devices are considered as well. I hesitate to go that direction for two reasons, which may or may not be legitimate.

First, I am hesitant to make the switch from the smallest RIM units to one of the largest. Even my friends with Curves--the more casual users--marvel at the size and weight of my Pearl. I am very accustomed to this handy little phone.

Second, something in my gut tells me that, when there are three exciting devices due to come out in the next, it's crazy to buy something that's been available for several months. Intuition and conventional wisdom say new should equal better. I know there is debate about that concept, especially regarding the Bold and the upcoming models. The feeling exists though.

I do need to get out to the stores to try some devices out. I hate going into cellular carrier stores though. It's one of my least favorite places to be. I just need to bite the bullet on a weekend afternoon and hit a couple of stores for a few hours.

One question back on my original post: should I abandon the option of buying a first-generation Storm? Would buying one of those devices be pure stupidity, or is this an option worth looking into more? I have to admit that I'm very intrigued by the Storm, and, prior to that release of the device, I had intended to go that route when my contract expired this spring. Obviously we know a lot more now than we did then. Thanks again.
    probably better to spend a few hours in the dark pit of a wireless store checking out stuff than to spend the next whatever suffering through violent spinal whippings for making a poor choice...remember - read the forums; you ain't the first cowboy to ride this horse.
    05-31-09 02:55 PM
    So I'll be a free man this week, but the right move is probably to roll month-to-month with my Pearl until a new model or two hit the stores, huh? That will be a great test of patience for me.

I definitely won't make a purchase without doing my homework. I knew the intelligent people in here would prove a great asset toward my research. Actually, I wouldn't consider my search complete without consulting this forum.
    05-31-09 03:08 PM
    I knew the intelligent people in here would prove a great asset toward my research. Actually, I wouldn't consider my search complete without consulting this forum.

Good Call
    05-31-09 03:11 PM
    You get what you pay for usually BUT if your Sprint experience has been great STAY tell them you are considering staying & they will GIVE AWAY THE STORE to keep you...hey why not capitalize??? lol
    05-31-09 03:14 PM
    Make a list of what you want and what you need. Then compare and contrast and shop. Good luck to you!

Also, if you put a Bold in your hands, be ready for your life to change lol!
    05-31-09 03:44 PM
    You get what you pay for usually BUT if your Sprint experience has been great STAY tell them you are considering staying & they will GIVE AWAY THE STORE to keep you...hey why not capitalize??? lol
    My only complaint with Sprint has been the phone selection. And I guess they started enforcing the actual insurance policy rather than just giving me a new phone any time I said something was wrong. Now, they make me call, place a claim, and pay a $50 deductible to have a phone replaced. I can't really complain about that, but it was nice when I could just walk into a store, complain about a scratch, and leave with a new phone. Really, the phone selection is the problem though.

With my contract expiring and after waiting a long time to upgrade my device, the thought of just picking up another outdated device is not appealing. At this point, my options are to stay with my Pearl or switch carriers. As much as I like my Pearl, it is starting to look like it sat in a bunker through WWII. The screen has a small, but noticeable, internal crack along the top, the camera mirror on the back is worn off, and the bottom row of buttons sometimes require a few pushes before they register. Last weekend, the phone stopped working (no speaker or microphone) for about a day and a half. That's when I called to find out when my contract would expire. I knew it had to be close, and I was happy to hear how close it was.

Anyway, the point is that I'm going to have to do something soon. I think I can ride out another six weeks on this sucker to get to the Tour release. At that point, I'll probably create a pro and con list for the Bold/AT&T and the Tour/Verizon.

These Bold supporters are close to getting me to not even do that... trouble.
    05-31-09 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD