I was reading another thread about a lost phone when I had a thought (scary I know ). I do regular backups but but should something happen and say I got a different model that backup would be useless. So, what is a good way to back up contacts and such so that you could get them put on another phone if something bad should happen?
    07-01-08 11:10 PM
    If you get another BB there is no need t back up to anything else. If you get a different type of phone, then I would recommend backing up to ASCII or CSV format. That will get your data onto your computer in pretty much a plain text format that should be pretty easy to deal with.
    07-01-08 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply, sunkast. Are you saying then that a backup from a berry can be restored to any other berry?
    07-01-08 11:18 PM
    Yes. You can even use the switch device wizard.
    07-01-08 11:25 PM
    Awesome thanks again. I was asking in case mine was lost or stolen. In which case I don't think switch device wizard would be much help.
    07-01-08 11:31 PM
    If you get another BB there is no need t back up to anything else. If you get a different type of phone, then I would recommend backing up to ASCII or CSV format. That will get your data onto your computer in pretty much a plain text format that should be pretty easy to deal with.
    How do you do that in ASCII or CSV format. Can you do that through DM or what do you need to do?
    07-02-08 12:02 AM
    How do you do that in ASCII or CSV format. Can you do that through DM or what do you need to do?
    Yes, through the sync app. You just choose ASCII.
    07-02-08 12:59 AM
    Yes, through the sync app. You just choose ASCII.
    Okay, thanks went and tried it out guess I did it right, Hopefully I never have to test it out. I just selected ASCII and chose sync from my phone and picked a folder and named it addressbook. But when I opened it up in Word, text, etc... it was all weird looking but I appreciate the info on how to do it. Thanks
    07-02-08 01:52 AM
    I usually keep all my contacts updated in Outlook. Just about all smart phones sync with Outlook, and if you get one that doesn't, you could always export them into vcards or csv files.
    07-02-08 07:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD