Just read the latest issue of Consumer Reports, they rate the Blackberrys at the bottom of their list, especially the Curve 8330's.

Their top rated was the Samsung Blackjack, can't say I've heard of that one although I'm sure it's popular and I don't really keep up to date with all the latest phone technology.

I still love my Curve 8330, but makes me wonder if there really is something "better" out there. Or does Consumer Reports not know what they're talking about?!

Edit:
    Top five rated were:
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile Wing
    Motorola Moto Q9c
    T-Mobile Shadow
    Pantech Duo
    Last edited by dibbc; 11-29-08 at 06:24 PM.
    11-29-08 05:47 PM
    I love my 8330, what were they basing there findings on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 05:49 PM
    Anyone want to place bets on which way this thread goes.

What criteria did CR uses? Would make an interesting read.
    11-29-08 05:54 PM
    I find that so hard to beleive!! My step dad has the BlackJack, which he really loved, until he saw my Storm...then my daughters and my brothers, lol. He was so bummed about what his couldn't do compared to ours..he's going to go back and upgrade to a BB early. My father too, just got an LG Incite. He was positive it would be better then the Storm....again, at Thanksgiving...he was really miserable when he saw the differences in our phones. He's still under his 30 days, so I think he's bringing it back. He's on ATT, we're on Verizon. I've been telling him to move over to Verizon, cause of the much better reception we get everywhere. His is so iffy where we live..which is why I couldn't even consider an Iphone, even though as my family says..I have an ILife! lol...But, I waited for the Storm, and I am thrilled. I've even managed to finally get it all synced up
    11-29-08 05:58 PM
    I think CR's peolple don't use blackberry or the only thing they know is samsung product.
    11-29-08 05:59 PM
    Anyone want to place bets on which way this thread goes.

What criteria did CR uses? Would make an interesting read.
    Not sure what you mean by betting which way this thread goes, but I'm sure the folks here (like myself) will rally behind the BB products... is that what you meant?

As far as what criteria they used:

Voice quality
    Ease of use
    Battery life
    Sensitivity
    Features (wifi, keyboard, memory cards, camera, bluetooth, etc)
    Broadband speed
    Price

Fair criteria I think, but not sure it was fair the score it got.

Out of 21 phones, the Pearl was number 13, the Curves (8130/8330) were numbers 16, 20, and 21.

Right at the bottom.

Top three rated were:
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile Wing
    Motorola Moto Q9c
    11-29-08 06:10 PM
    Not sure what you mean by betting which way this thread goes
    It was meant jokingly, maybe a smiley would have helped. Just saying on a BB
    forum it is pretty much obvious where people would come down on this issue.
    11-29-08 06:14 PM
    What were the top 5?
    11-29-08 06:16 PM
    thanx dibbc for the criteria CR's used it. but I am still grrrrrrrrr
    11-29-08 06:21 PM
    Just read the latest issue of Consumer Reports, they rate the Blackberrys at the bottom of their list, especially the Curve 8330's.
    Well, if you're not satisfied with your Curve and trust them as The All Knowing you should go check out their top picks.
    11-29-08 06:23 PM
    What were the top 5?
    Top five rated were:
    Samsung Blackjack II
    T-Mobile Wing
    Motorola Moto Q9c
    T-Mobile Shadow
    Pantech Duo
    11-29-08 06:24 PM
    Well, if you're not satisfied with your Curve and trust them as The All Knowing you should go check out their top picks.
    If you read my OP, I said I still love my Curve 8330....

The low ratings were a surprise to me.
    11-29-08 06:26 PM
    Consumer reports does not know what they're talking about. I find it hard to believe the tmobile wing made the top three... Bottom three maybe... The BJ2 and Q9c are alright as phones but ease of use and voice quality weren't their strong points, imo.

11-29-08 06:27 PM
    OK, I don't make a habit of slamming other phones or reviewers
    opinions, but the Pantech Duo. Are you friggin kidding me.
    11-29-08 06:28 PM
    Hey look at this I can answer where they get that info. Consumer reports are done by consumers, IE people paid to test the products. That is why you will find in say appliances that Kenmore from sears is always rated high, even though it is made by whirlpool, and the same product with the whirlpool name on it is rated lower even though they are the same product, other then Cars and Trucks consumer reports are normaly wrong, Cars and Trucks are all tested by the same company so they are a bit more reliable. as to the 8330 i only have the 8100, so have not used it, but if your happy with it who cares what anyone else thinks.
    11-29-08 06:28 PM
    OK, I don't make a habit of slamming other phones or reviewers
    opinions, but the Pantech Duo. Are you friggin kidding me.
    That is what I said too... Their top 5 would be a bottom 5 for me..

11-29-08 06:30 PM
    Now I have to go get a copy of this magazine tomorrow.
    11-29-08 06:34 PM
    I am in the group of people that disagree with CR. It's just another opinion. And opinions vary. I've got a close friend who *had* the tmo wing. That lasted about 1.5 months and they choose a different phone. My .02
    11-29-08 06:37 PM

I still love my Curve 8330, but makes me wonder if there really is something "better" out there.
    There's always something better . But the question is is it better for you??

You said you still love your Curve so then it's really a mute point . What's better for one might not be better for another .

I have the Pearl 8130 ( got it 2 weeks ago ) so I still fall into the 30 day exchange policy . Been reading alot about the Curves on here and started questioning myself as to whether or not I should return my Pearl and get the Curve . But I bought the pearl for it's small size as I'm in construction , and can tuck the Pearl deep in my pocket where it's safe from all the dust. To me , that is the deciding factor to keep my Pearl instead of getting the bigger Curve .

It all comes down to the individual and what suits them best .

Besides ..... CR is just opinions of critics.... and in my opinion whatever critics don't like is usually pretty good to the average joe ,

11-29-08 06:41 PM
    I had a BlackJack for a week and couldn't get RID of it fast enough. I hated the thing.
    11-29-08 06:48 PM
    I had a T-Mobile shadow for a few weeks when I switched over from AT&T. There is no way that things deserves to be anywhere near the top five.
    11-29-08 06:49 PM
    I can't remember the last time Consumer Reports did a review of electronic devices/technology that I wasn't left scratching my head about.

They might be fine for nailing the target a little closer on which BBQ Grill really stacks up, but for Computers, Cellular Phones, and the like - I've found a lot more reliable & knowledgeable reviews by several other sources - Yanno, people who's life trade is technology.

Probably why I haven't bought a Consumer Report Mag in years...

Granted, BlackBerrys are not for everyone, nor are they perfect - but really? They scored LOWER than a couple pieces of **** that I'd slap out of my friends hand, should they be carrying one? REALLY?!

*back to scratching my head*
    Last edited by Digital_Cataclysm; 11-29-08 at 06:54 PM.
    11-29-08 06:51 PM
    Besides ..... CR is just opinions of critics.... and in my opinion whatever critics don't like is usually pretty good to the average joe ,

Indeed. I am the average joe () and I love my 8330
    11-29-08 06:52 PM
    Indeed. I am the average joe () and I love my 8330
    Please tell me that's your only bad pun of the night
    11-29-08 06:56 PM
    Wow, the Blackjack, the Wing, and the DUO?! Seriously, the Duo, not even some of Pantech's newer offerings? Note to self: don't trust CR when it comes to phones, especially smartphones.
    11-29-08 07:31 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD