Why will you not or have not switched to IOS or Android?

IF BB10 comes out and is again "behind" IOS and Android in capabilities will you finally switch or are you just stuck on the brand name and being a loyal costumer?

The fact that Blackberry hasn't been doing what it needs to do has been evident for years...I point to a thread that popped up while writing this titled "is blackberry dead as a consumer platform" written on 6-17-2010.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=479719

At what point is enough, enough?

If Android or Apple offered a 15% discount if you upgraded your BB to Iphone/Android, would you do it?
    03-30-12 08:37 AM
    Blackberry had done, or failed to do, a number of things that make me want to consider going to another platform. However the phone keyboards, the low cost PlayBook, their excellent email service and the fact that I have used them for many years keep me with them. The combination of the good pricing of T-Mobile and the good international services they give keep me fairly happy. With Skype and a few other improvements BB would keep me forever.
    03-30-12 08:46 AM
    This is were a partnership with an Amazon or other consumer content provider comes in. They know they cant compete directly with these big 'box' companies that offer you everything and the world.
    03-30-12 08:50 AM
    I am really lusting after the Samsung Note. The BB10 phones better impress or it will be hard to stick with RIM.
    03-30-12 08:53 AM
    Having never owned a BlackBerry outside of the PlayBook, I'm actually still a feature phone user. My next phone will be purchased some time this year and preferably sooner rather than later and it will certainly be a smartphone. I will never own an Android phone and iOS isn't the most appealing to me. I really like the new Nokia Windows Phone 7 phones, but I'm waiting to see what the new BB10 phones really have in store.

Really need to see what the OS really looks like, but the real deal breaker is app support. I'd like to play the new games that are coming out for everyone else with my friends(Draw Something, anyone?), or be able to watch Hulu on the go. I would consider an iPhone just to be able to do that.
    03-30-12 08:55 AM

IF BB10 comes out and is again "behind" IOS and Android in capabilities will you finally switch or are you just stuck on the brand name and being a loyal costumer?

The fact that Blackberry hasn't been doing what it needs to do has been evident for years...I point to a thread that popped up while writing this titled "is blackberry dead as a consumer platform" written on 6-17-2010.

If Android or Apple offered a 15% discount if you upgraded your BB to Iphone/Android, would you do it?
    I understand that you are looking for feedback and not necessarily bashing RIM.. however, I don't get the disdain for RIM products from some people. Yes, I suffered through the slow boots, the hour glasses, and the issues with some of the old model Berrys... but I couldn't be happier with my 9900 (personal) and my 9930 (work). Unless RIM total craps the bed with their new phones, I'll be sticking with them for awhile.. I love the keyboard, the functionality, and the security(I know this isn't a priority for most consumers). I have enough apps on my Bolds and my PlayBook to do what I need to do in the mobile space. I know some people complain that RIM products need video chat through Skype and a Netflix app.. but personally these aren't huge selling points for ME. Yes, if they had them it would be cool.. but I'm not going to ditch RIM because I can't watch the crappy selection of Netflix movies on my PlayBook.
    03-30-12 08:59 AM
    I understand that you are looking for feedback and not necessarily bashing RIM.. however, I don't get the disdain for RIM products from some people. Yes, I suffered through the slow boots, the hour glasses, and the issues with some of the old model Berrys... but I couldn't be happier with my 9900 (personal) and my 9930 (work). Unless RIM total craps the bed with their new phones, I'll be sticking with them for awhile.. I love the keyboard, the functionality, and the security(I know this isn't a priority for most consumers). I have enough apps on my Bolds and my PlayBook to do what I need to do in the mobile space. I know some people complain that RIM products need video chat through Skype and a Netflix app.. but personally these aren't huge selling points for ME. Yes, if they had them it would be cool.. but I'm not going to ditch RIM because I can't watch the crappy selection of Netflix movies on my PlayBook.
    Netflix rocks!

Instead of hating on Flix, why not just state why you're staying with BB.

Additions sound like sour grapes.
    iceroadman likes this.
    03-30-12 09:07 AM

I like BlackBerry and I will not go to another simply because when I got my first RIM product it has never let me down. Also I am not into trendy apps like skyhpe it isn't important to me. BlackBerry is a great product and is what others use to build their prducts.
    03-30-12 09:12 AM
    I will be keeping my personal phone as a BB as long as it has data compression, BBM and a keyboard,

I keep intouch with family via BBM, when I travel BB compression keeps my data costs at a fraction of those with other phones, and I prefer a keyboard, just like I prefer my cowboy boots to expensive Italian shoes, and would Rather drive a Ford F150 over almost any BMW, Mercedes, Audi.
    bbmtna likes this.
    03-30-12 09:12 AM
    Well, I would never leave BB for either iOS or Android....

iOS is a fanboy system, and I have never been a fan of Apple (I own an iPod out of necessity, but cannot stand iTunes).
    Android is cheap, and its open-source system is allows too much non-monitored activity to run amuck. Yeah, android phones can be fast...until all the spam and spyware/malware begin bogging the system. The Android Marketplace is flea market for identity/personal info theft because it isn't monitored/regulated.

That said, I have already jumped ship....to WP7....and I love it! The interface is smooth and ultra-responsive, the metro look is refreshing, and its integration with Windows Live (XBox Live, Hotmail, Facebook, Twitter, etc) is a one-stop shop for everything you need to accomplish in the social networking world (not to mention, th OS has NEVER locked-up or required a battery pull!!!). If you plan on jumping ship, then I would recommend the new Windows Phone.

I loved BB for so many reasons, but being a dedicated consumer became a hassle. The "hourglass of death", battery pulls, OS Lag, and lack of 3rd party apps forced my hand (no Netflix??? Really???).

I'm pulling for BB10 to make enough of a "splash" with fresh ideas that developers are interested in RIM once again, and that they finally solve the lagging OS problems and lock-ups....for I absolutely LOVE BB's customization abilities!!!
    03-30-12 09:20 AM
    like mnhockeycoach99 above, I'm happy with my 9930. The only thing I wish BB10 would bring is a front facing camera (I don't have need for it but just to shut up all the critics) and better battery life (wish I could go 7 am to 11 PM on one charge). Device wise that is it but what I really want from RIM is aggressiveness: don't shut up and take all the bashing in the media-fight back. Also, advertise your devices and capabilities (currently BB7 and Playbook make a GREAT combination) and keep the release dates (still can't get over how the BB7 release was handled)
    03-30-12 09:24 AM
    oh, one more thing...the new BB10 should look like the blade design posted here a few days ago
    03-30-12 09:26 AM
    What will keep me.....the PB OS/UI on a phone, security, data compression. I don't have a NEED for those apps everyone mentions. However I am also interested in how win8 is going to turn out. If I do leave bb I'm pretty sure it would be for win8 even though I'm not hot about the metro UI.
    03-30-12 09:33 AM
    I talk, I write and I take pictures. If BB will put a great flash auto foucus camera on something like a Bold frame running BB10 I'll be just fine. I have a laptop for all the other stuff. Why clutter up the phone?
    03-30-12 09:35 AM
    I will be keeping my personal phone as a BB as long as it has data compression, BBM and a keyboard,

I keep intouch with family via BBM, when I travel BB compression keeps my data costs at a fraction of those with other phones, and I prefer a keyboard, just like I prefer my cowboy boots to expensive Italian shoes, and would Rather drive a Ford F150 over almost any BMW, Mercedes, Audi.
    I came to BB because of the Torch 9800...touchscreen AND a physical keyboard. A big plus has been the data compression so if and when AT&T forces me to give up my grandfathered unlimited plan, I will be able to keep costs lower than my sons who have iPhones.

I guess I am easy to please because OS7 works for me. That said, I also love my PlayBook and if the BB10 phones run as nicely as it does then I am open to abandoning my beloved Torch 2. Besides, BBphone and PlayBook is a real winner.
    03-30-12 09:36 AM
    oh, one more thing...the new bb10 should look like the blade design posted here a few days ago
    + 1,000,000!!!
    03-30-12 09:37 AM
    I came to BB because of the Torch 9800...touchscreen AND a physical keyboard. A big plus has been the data compression so if and when AT&T forces me to give up my grandfathered unlimited plan, I will be able to keep costs lower than my sons who have iPhones.

I guess I am easy to please because OS7 works for me. That said, I also love my PlayBook and if the BB10 phones run as nicely as it does then I am open to abandoning my beloved Torch 2. Besides, BBphone and PlayBook is a real winner.
    I initially loved my Torch....but for some reason, never felt the touchscreen's responsiveness was as "clean" as it should be, but having both the touchscreen and keyboard were a major plus compared to the Bold 9000 I had prior. Having both is what influenced me into selecting the LG Quantum when I decided to give WP7 a test drive.

I'm eagerly awaiting BB10 in hopes that it is capable of bringing me back....
    03-30-12 09:45 AM
    I initially loved my Torch....but for some reason, never felt the touchscreen's responsiveness was as "clean" as it should be, but having both the touchscreen and keyboard were a major plus compared to the Bold 9000 I had prior. Having both is what influenced me into selecting the LG Quantum when I decided to give WP7 a test drive.

I'm eagerly awaiting BB10 in hopes that it is capable of bringing me back....
    Having owned a 9800 and a 9810 there is no comparing them in terms of quality, I liked my 9800, but the 9810 was amazing compared to it, it fixed that screen responsiveness problem you mention,
    That said, I gave my 9810 to a friend because the 9900 and 9790 are so much better for me, but RIM stepped up, no home run, by the OS7 upgrades weren't just bunts like the os6 ones were
    daveycrocket likes this.
    03-30-12 09:52 AM
    Apps, apps, apps which requires developers, developers, developers.

That's the consumer market in a nutshell.
    03-30-12 09:53 AM
    What will keep me.....the PB OS/UI on a phone, security, data compression. I don't have a NEED for those apps everyone mentions. However I am also interested in how win8 is going to turn out. If I do leave bb I'm pretty sure it would be for win8 even though I'm not hot about the metro UI.
    Win 8 is a cloud base system, how secure will it be? Or should we just accept the pro cloud lobby that it is safe because they want to sell cloud services.

Blackberry is a superb platform which suits me, other platforms are superb for those who use them.

What is it about then that just because some anti misreports a statement that it's taken as valid, I think that the reporting is so inaccurate it requires a legal challenge.

Sorry for the rant but this kind of manipulation makes me really cross.

The consumer will decide what is for them because of their needs not what were told our needs are. Mine, my daughter and wife = BlackBerry.
    elphie28 likes this.
    03-30-12 09:53 AM

And when the fad passes?
    03-30-12 09:56 AM
    And when the fad passes?
    Enabling added functionality to a device is not a passing fad.
    JeepBB, sosumi11 and evil.bunny like this.
    03-30-12 09:58 AM
    I am really lusting after the Samsung Note. The BB10 phones better impress or it will be hard to stick with RIM.
    If the next generation BlackBerry smartphones running BBX are not released by early August 2012 in my opinion Research In Motion will be facing its own Bataan Death March. Missing the back-to-school and back-to-work sale period will be inexcusable. I would be very upset if the BlackBerry brand continues its decline in the consumer and professional marketplaces.
    03-30-12 10:01 AM
    And when the fad passes?
    Didn't IBM say that same thing about the personal computer fad? And the personal computer has been with us for over three decades and only now starting to see a decline in adoption as new technology such as smartphones and tablets usurp much of the functionality of the personal computer. Today's smartphones are more powerful than the computer system used to put a man on the moon and return him back to Earth.
    03-30-12 10:05 AM

Not really the full picture. Content is the winner. Apps are great, but paid apps will slowly go away and it will subscription based and all about content (books, video, audio, mmo-ish games, etc). Generating month to month profit will be a better model then the one time hit.
    03-30-12 10:16 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD