I'm new to this realm of life and wanted to know if it's bad for the life of my battery to charge the phone frequently. By frequently I mean before the charge dies down. Are there any strategies for this? I don't want to shorten the battery life by doing something too often and having it "learn" as some devices are prone to do. Thanks!
    08-05-09 11:16 AM
    I'm new to this realm of life and wanted to know if it's bad for the life of my battery to charge the phone frequently. By frequently I mean before the charge dies down. Are there any strategies for this? I don't want to shorten the battery life by doing something too often and having it "learn" as some devices are prone to do. Thanks!
    You'll always get different opinions on that, but with my own experience, when you charge the Blackberry only when battery is dead especially in the first days, seems to set your battery to it's full capacity.
    08-05-09 11:32 AM
    I asked that question as well and here is what I was told in this link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/simp...uestion-276974
    It was easier to link the thread then type all that or copy and paste ,
    08-05-09 11:40 AM
    Just charge whenever you can, I've done this for years and never had a battery go bad on me. Its also not recommended to drain your batteries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 11:43 AM
    I asked that question as well and here is what I was told in this link
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/simp...uestion-276974
    It was easier to link the thread then type all that or copy and paste ,
    Interesting info, thanks!
    08-05-09 11:45 AM
    thanks folks. This thing has much less standby time than my old regular cell did and I've got to get used to that.
    08-05-09 11:57 AM
    Cool avatar.

The battery uses Li-ion technology, no issues with memory but it does not respond well to deep cycles. You maximize the life by keeping it charged regularly.

The factors that limit life are heat and charging current. The higher the charging current, the faster it recharges, but the life expectancy is reduced. The art is finding the optimum middle ground.

08-05-09 12:03 PM
    Admittedly, the Tour is too new yet to see much in the way of accessories but if it helps to put things in perspective for you (the 9630 will eventually get there as well!):

I just bought an OEM battery for my Curve (as a spare) off Amazon for $1.49 (plus shipping). So even if I were to totally screw up my 8330 battery somehow, it's pretty cheap to simply buy a new one-
    08-05-09 12:31 PM
    Cool avatar.

The battery uses Li-ion technology, no issues with memory but it does not respond well to deep cycles. You maximize the life by keeping it charged regularly.

The factors that limit life are heat and charging current. The higher the charging current, the faster it recharges, but the life expectancy is reduced. The art is finding the optimum middle ground.

+1
    If you want to take it overboard some (IMO) charge your BB only with the USB cable connected to your computer vs. the wall charger. Specs require the USB connection on devices to output a teeny amount, 100mA or 500mA I think. I wonder if it really makes a difference though vs a wall charger.
    08-05-09 12:39 PM
    I bookmarked this website a while ago. Its pretty interesting, hope it helps you out.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    08-05-09 12:46 PM
    I have constantly charged my battery on every device Ive ever had and never have I had any problems with battery life. We all know batteries need to eventually be replaced, thats just normal. I would say that after about a year of heavy use its time to get a new one. Besides, having an extra battery fully charged and ready to go is nice.
    08-05-09 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD