I have a feeling blackberry has never intended to make bb10 into a success story. They don't want it to be successful, hence the lack of marketing etc. They are just using existing BlackBerry customers as a testing ground to smoothed out the new OS. Then they will just only sell it for people willing to pay top top dollar with special chips for encryption - suitable for presidents, prime minsters , head of large corporations etc, celebrities and other high profile people.

The rest of blackberry will just remain in software - that's if they can pull off with cross platform HUB apps. Not entirely sure if they can pull it off given the dismal failure of cross platform BBM.

That may have been the strategy all along.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 12:21 PM
    even if that's the case i am a happy user so i don't really care exactly what they want to sell and to who as long i can have a good phone with good os.
    03-02-15 12:29 PM
    If they did that, and BB10 was a failure, the damage to their brand would destroy everything they touched. Luckily it was a mild success. Just came at a bad time.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 12:35 PM
    Not getting the conspiracy theory part of the post... BB has made it abundantly clear that they have effectively left the consumer market... what they do sell in the consumer market is considered gravy so to speak... If you look at Barcelona today the only info coming out is Enterprise focused... nothing for the consumers.. no conspiracy here ... simply BB leaving the consumers to their own devices ( pardon the pun ) and trying to save the company by being an exclusive Enterprise vendor....
    Tabdus likes this.
    03-02-15 12:37 PM
    Lack of marketing is due to a lack of money... or a product that would benefit from that marketing.

While many here find the OS to provide them with all they need, that doesn't make BlackBerry a consumer ready device. Poor hardware selection, still buggy at times OS, lack of an official way to get apps. BlackBerry just isn't a competitive product.

And how many world leaders and celebrities are there in the world? Even if they start selling BlackBerries for $2000 a piece with a monthly plan of $50 for all those secure features... would that really replace the BILLIONS that BlackBerry once made in the consumer market?
    03-02-15 12:50 PM
    Lack of marketing is due to a lack of money... or a product that would benefit from that marketing.

While many here find the OS to provide them with all they need, that doesn't make BlackBerry a consumer ready device. Poor hardware selection, still buggy at times OS, lack of an official way to get apps. BlackBerry just isn't a competitive product.

And how many world leaders and celebrities are there in the world? Even if they start selling BlackBerries for $2000 a piece with a monthly plan of $50 for all those secure features... would that really replace the BILLIONS that BlackBerry once made in the consumer market?
    Exactly, would be a silly game plan unless they had some major contracts already tied down years ago (that are not public) that would provide every major government department with these ultra secure devices. Even then it would be a small revenue source, but I guess it would give them the ultimate legitimacy for selling the best solution to enterprise.

Still an awfully risky plan, I am more of the mind that they just took too long and ran too short on funds to effectively compete for and market to consumers, and this is plan b taking effect

BB for Life
    03-02-15 01:28 PM
    Exactly, would be a silly game plan unless they had some major contracts already tied down years ago (that are not public) that would provide every major government department with these ultra secure devices. Even then it would be a small revenue source, but I guess it would give them the ultimate legitimacy for selling the best solution to enterprise.

Still an awfully risky plan, I am more of the mind that they just took too long and ran too short on funds to effectively compete for and market to consumers, and this is plan b taking effect

BB for Life
    Yeah the whole the NSA propped up Apple and got the media on board to kill BlackBerry because then didn't want to have to buy a couple more supercomputers to decrypt all that "secure" communications - that is a good conspiracy Theory.
    03-02-15 01:59 PM
    Only certain NHL hockey teams deliberately tank.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 02:40 PM
    I think none of you guys or anyone else really know the truth and these are all random shots in the dark.
    Heck I bet even John Chen is not sure what he is going to do 1 year down the line. One thing looks increasingly possible and that is that may be in 2016 they will review the handset division and if it is not profitable as they may have projected/expected, then revisit the strategy. Now even then one cannot predict what may happen. So happy hunting on the theories ;-)
    Q10 | SQN100-3 | CIRCA 2013
    BerryRipe likes this.
    03-02-15 02:52 PM
    I think that Blackberry needs to put high efforts to gain enterprise market share again. Here both Apple and Microsoft is starting to invade on the territory that Blackberry had for themselves and they need put effort not losing more customers. If they can get more corporate customers, then the money will start to roll in so that Blackberry can start to invest in the consumer.

A funny side note to this is that the original IBM PC was originally intended for as a business machine that even smaller companies could afford. Today it has evolved to a multimedia power machine way beyond its original purpose. So being business tool shouldn't viewed as a negative thing.
    03-02-15 03:07 PM
    I'm commenting here for the sake of conspiracy only if you will. Blackberry is not the first nor is it alone in it's thinking of software first. I compare them to Microsoft and Windows phone. MS has turned focus to cross platform compatibility with its office and cloud software. In fact many MS applications were better on Android than its own OS. Now, they release low budget, cost effective devices that are a low risk.

Now, add to the mix Sony who also has made statements that it will focus more on software (mainly it's camera software) and less on handsets. Now add Blackberry to that mix. There are two things the three of them have in common: 1. Low market share and sales on the hardware side and 2. An attempt to focus it's energies on what it does best. So in the end I'd say it's less about conspiracy and more about sustainability. I for one as an IT Manager am committed to deploying Blackberry services and devices in an ever increasing BYOD workplace because it is good for Enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 03:43 PM