I wonder why this phone never drew any attention from BlackBerry lawyers? Or did it?

It's like a 9900 wannabe- full keyboard and touchscreen, and even what looks like a trackpad.. the keys look very BlackBerry like..

This is the Motorola Defy Pro:

Considering Typo was sued...-motorola-defy-pro.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 12:39 PM
    Moto paid Rim to use their patented keyboard design.
    Carjackd likes this.
    04-08-14 12:55 PM
    Yep, rim got a cut of every device sold!

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    04-08-14 12:58 PM
    Incorrect. Motorola doesn't have to pay anything to Blackberry. It's been several years now, so not many recall it, but Motorola won a court battle with Blackberry. And as a result are immune from Blackberry's keyboard patent.
    04-08-14 02:12 PM
    Not the only time Moto pulled this
    Considering Typo was sued...-motodroidpro.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 02:22 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MotoDroidPro.jpg 
Views:	1292 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	261582

Posted via CB10
    Pulled what? Doesn't look anything like a blackberry...
    04-08-14 02:47 PM
    You sure, look at the keyboard, more specifically the scalloped keys.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 02:49 PM
    That looks like a BB like Galaxy looks like an Iphone, similar but the same. Also I believe Moto and RIM ended up with cross-licensing agreement in place that would have taken care of any objections on patents. Wonder if that agreement goes to Lenovo or stays with Google after the Moto sale.
    04-08-14 02:59 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MotoDroidPro.jpg 
Views:	1292 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	261582

Posted via CB10
    This is the form factor I would like to see on the next Q... 16:9 screen with a keyboard...
    joejuck likes this.
    04-08-14 03:15 PM
    That looks like a BB like Galaxy looks like an Iphone, similar but the same. Also I believe Moto and RIM ended up with cross-licensing agreement in place that would have taken care of any objections on patents. Wonder if that agreement goes to Lenovo or stays with Google after the Moto sale.
    It wasn't a cross licensing agreement. Moto won in court because they were able to demonstrate prior art for BB's patent for "a keyboard designed for thumbs " or something similar. In a nutshell, Moto is basically immune to BB's keyboard patent, and doesn't need to license it. I'd speculate that Lenovo inherited it, as it's a company owned right and not a transferable asset. Whoever owns Motorola maintains the right.
    04-08-14 03:17 PM
    It wasn't a cross licensing agreement. Moto won in court because they were able to demonstrate prior art for BB's patent for "a keyboard designed for thumbs " or something similar. In a nutshell, Moto is basically immune to BB's keyboard patent, and doesn't need to license it. I'd speculate that Lenovo inherited it, as it's a company owned right and not a transferable asset. Whoever owns Motorola maintains the right.
    Then its not the same patent leveraged against Typo? It would have to be different as Typo would claim the same prior art.
    04-08-14 03:32 PM
    Then its not the same patent leveraged against Typo? It would have to be different as Typo would claim the same prior art.
    It's been so long now, that I don't recall the exact particulars. Both RIM and Motorola were suing each other, it went on for a long time, then it was ended/settled with Motorola having free reign on the keyboard. Perhaps prior art wasn't it, and now that I think about it more, it may have simply come down to both parties agreeing to call it a wash and agreed to no longer sue each other on particular patents. :shrug:

I'll research it again when I get home to recall the specifics. But suffice it to say, the result is why Motorola is the only OEM to continue making keyboard devices other than RIM.
    04-08-14 03:48 PM
    It's been so long now, that I don't recall the exact particulars. Both RIM and Motorola were suing each other, it went on for a long time, then it was ended/settled with Motorola having free reign on the keyboard. Perhaps prior art wasn't it, and now that I think about it more, it may have simply come down to both parties agreeing to call it a wash and agreed to no longer sue each other on particular patents. :shrug:

I'll research it again when I get home to recall the specifics. But suffice it to say, the result is why Motorola is the only OEM to continue making keyboard devices other than RIM.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_12152374_motorola-vs-rim.html

Tl;Dr: they fought for two years back and forth, then agreed to license each others IP.
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    04-08-14 04:24 PM