Hi all,

I have been an Android user for years, had a short iPhone glimpse in the middle. I mostly like it but it is time for me now to get a new phone and I am considering BlackBerry.

The feature I seek the most is the physical keyboard.

I mostly use my phone for email, messaging, instant messaging, tweeting.
    A little less primary use is picture viewing and browsing.
    Listening to my music is also something I do...
    Taking pictures is secondary, I mean, I must be able to do it but fantastic quality is secondary.

What I mostly hope and expect to see from BlackBerry (and the reason I consider leaving Android) is something more sobre, more "crap-free", not always throwing in my face I can rent the latest Iron Man in HD for only 4$ ...
    I also hope a bit more battery life, and some more stability and consitency.

I really have never tried BB, but what I see looks promising,... but well,... "one always wants what one does not have", right?

Any opinions on that?
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    05-30-13 07:53 AM
    If you are interested in a physical keyboard, then you will want to check out the Q10. It will be rolling out this next week here in the USA, so I would encourage you to go to your carrier store and try out a demonstrator. That is what I have done with the Z10 so that I can see if it is what I want. I also had to see if it could save and run an app that my work requires, but they don't support BB10. Thankfully the app in question works fine on BB10 because it is a link to an html5 app that I downloaded. At least, that is what the tech guys have told me. Saturday I will pick up my Z10. Woot! Woot!
    05-30-13 08:29 AM
    If you consider your phone first and foremost a communication device, then I highly recommend BlackBerry.

If you consider your phone first and foremost a content consumption device, then go with iOS or Android.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    05-30-13 09:07 AM
    If I were you I would wait for some of the issues to be fixed first if you're in no hurry.
    05-30-13 09:13 AM
    I mostly use my phone for email, messaging, instant messaging, tweeting.

^^ This is what Blackberry is about and its done really well you seem to hit blackberry demographic dead on with your needs.Your grown you got to make your own decisions.

Your on a fansite asking for advice we can tell you everything is great ,this and that but nothing will beat hands on experience.Do your research watch youtube videos on q10/z10. Go down to the store check out the phones live.Get some in hand use and make your decision.

Should see you back as a BB10 user.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 05-30-13 at 09:41 AM.
    05-30-13 09:18 AM
    Is this a joke thread? Because everything you've said screams BlackBerry lol

Keep in mind, the keyboard is amazing but there are some small sacrifices that come with it. Mostly just the smaller screen. But even though it's probably a smaller screen than your Android it is a BIG screen for a qwerty phone.

Good luck in making your decision!

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 09:37 AM
    Is this a joke thread? Because everything you've said screams BlackBerry lol
    It really is not a joke thread. And yeah, it really does feel like BlackBerry....

Keep in mind, the keyboard is amazing but there are some small sacrifices that come with it. Mostly just the smaller screen. But even though it's probably a smaller screen than your Android it is a BIG screen for a qwerty phone.
    And especially for a guy coming from a Galaxy Note

But this aside, anything else than the screen to consider as a "sacrifice" ?

Good luck in making your decision!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, thanks
    05-30-13 09:42 AM
    If you consider your phone first and foremost a communication device, then I highly recommend BlackBerry.

If you consider your phone first and foremost a content consumption device, then go with iOS or Android.
    I thought the Z10 was both a communication and consumption device ... didn't you get the memo ?
    05-30-13 09:43 AM
    There is a thread somewhere on the forum titled, "why do you stick with Blackberry" that has a lot of good reasons for switching from Android to BB and the benefits of BB altogether. You might want to check it out.

I have used Android and iPhone for years and find that they are fine but I don't use most of what they offer. I am a pretty simple guy without any complex needs on my phone that's why I don't even need BB10. I am a huge fan of BB7 and find it to fill all of my needs. Email, calls, an excellent calendar, memos, web browsing without hassles, messaging and of course a keyboard that allows me to do all that with comfort and ease........ all is provided by BB without the bloat of Android or iPhone for me. If you are into Netflix and gaming and that sort of thing, you will miss the experience with a BB due to the screen size and the limited availability of apps.
    05-30-13 09:57 AM
    But this aside, anything else than the screen to consider as a "sacrifice" ?
    Obviously, there's a smaller selection of apps available for BB10 than Android or iOS. But even on my old, trusty Curve I find that I can do many things natively that required apps on Android or iOS.
    05-30-13 09:59 AM
    @HS, sounds to me like you're a closet BlackBerry guy. Come feel the power of the dark side.
    HelterSkelter likes this.
    05-30-13 10:00 AM
    BlackBerry scores as a communication device hands down. I am still traveling and am severely jetlagged but still able to type on the awesome keyboard legibly. I also took great pictures of KL, and made a video using the Story Maker that my family loved, in under 10 minutes. I have all of my music on the device and the sound quality is very good. Great UI, gorgeous display, great organizational intergration. The Remember native app is fantastic and has been a God send for my travels. BlackBerry has its own assets that need to be appreciated on bits own without comparisons to Android and iPhone.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    05-30-13 10:05 AM
    Jump in! The water's great!

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 01:19 PM
    Thanks for all the answers.

Once again, I am only talking out of a gutfeeling for now, but since all BB seems way more shiny-crap-free, does it need such a strong hardware?
    My point is that, I don't want to spend 600+ EUR on a high-end bleeding edge phone.
    Would a Bold 9790 be an okay choice to feel out the waters? or is it already too outdated?
    05-30-13 02:26 PM

Once again, I am only talking out of a gutfeeling for now, but since all BB seems way more shiny-crap-free, does it need such a strong hardware?
    My point is that, I don't want to spend 600+ EUR on a high-end bleeding edge phone.
    Would a Bold 9790 be an okay choice to feel out the waters? or is it already too outdated?
    Stay away from OS7 devices(IMO). Most likely blackberry will stop supporting those. Might as well go for Q10 or any other bb10 phone( better support, newer platform).Not a bb user, but a tech enthusiast, and from what i have seen bb10 is the way to go.

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-13 02:38 PM

BB10 is nothing like legacy BBOS.

Just for a point of reference, I was a hard-core physical QWERTY guy, from my time with Palm through several Bb's. I swore that, because my primary use of my phone was for messaging, I would have nothing but a QWERTY phone, and BlackBerry of course is the best at that.

Then I spent a good bit of time researching and reading up on everything I could about BB10 and the Dev Alphas that were distributed, and finally some hands-on time when the Z10 was finally available. BB is still a messaging beast, only they manages to do with a virtual keyboard what very few have so far. I can't see myself going back to a physical keyboard now.

Yes, maybe there are still some minor kinks to work out of the new OS, features to add, and an app library to build up, but this is still the best phone I've ever used. The hardware and the OS work together like a dream -- responsive, fluid, smooth and intuitive. At the very least, head to your nearest phone store and take one for a test drive.
    05-30-13 02:42 PM
    Outside the ecosystem functionality I need for my atypical needs and access to the cloud and Gapps, I think legacy BB and BB10 devices are very relevant devices.
    05-30-13 03:11 PM
    Do what I do, Android tablet for media and I'm getting a q 10 when they come out.
    05-30-13 08:42 PM
    not a bad idea for the OP to try the Z10... many people that were BB die hard users due to the physical keyboard have reported that after using the virtual KB on the Z10 they never looked back... since you were using a huge screen (Note) going to a Q10 could be too much sacrifice... now, if you really don't care, then Q10 or even a legacy BB, even when no doubts they are more and more outdated every day... maybe you can do what someone else suggested, bb phone and android tablet, so you have both environments....
    05-30-13 09:10 PM

Im gonna have to say it,You got to leave legacy alone.Simply cause BB10 is the way forward.You got to go with a BB10 device. If price is of concern you can wait for the Q5 device to be released which should be cheaper than 600 euro's.If you was selling your note would you of not got near that amount back??

Anyway here's the Q5 if you want to spend less.

Hands-on the BlackBerry Q5 - YouTube

I myself want a qwerty BB10 device I am seriously looking at the Q5 mainly because of colors.Plus being a bb10 user is exclusive club right now its great.Oh I want that pink one.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 05-31-13 at 06:59 AM.
    HelterSkelter likes this.
    05-31-13 06:44 AM
    Im gonna have to say it,You got to leave legacy alone.Simply cause BB10 is the way forward.You got to go with a BB10 device. If price is of concern you can wait for the Q5 device to be released which should be cheaper than 600 euro's.If you was selling your note would you of not got near that amount back??

Anyway here's the Q5 if you want to spend less.

Hands-on the BlackBerry Q5 - YouTube

I myself want a qwerty BB10 device I am seriously looking at the Q5 mainly because of colors.Plus being a bb10 user is exclusive club right now its great.Oh I want that pink one.
    Thanks! did not know about this Q5... seems promising!
    05-31-13 07:32 AM
    Stay away from OS7 devices(IMO). Most likely blackberry will stop supporting those. Might as well go for Q10 or any other bb10 phone( better support, newer platform).Not a bb user, but a tech enthusiast, and from what i have seen bb10 is the way to go.

Sent from my LT28h using Tapatalk 2
    Considering the way you claim you use your phone, there is no reason whatsoever to "stay away from OS7"........ Or even OS6. Why would you buy a device that has features you don't need? They still have a lot of great OS7 devices and writing them off just because there is a new OS is just plain crazy. Don't get trapped by the "must-have-because-it's-new-even-though-I-don't-need-it" frame of mind.
    05-31-13 09:36 AM
    Thanks! did not know about this Q5... seems promising!
    I do not know if you will get "unbiased" comments here, but I will try.

Given everything you have listed, I would recommend the Q10.

However I will say that I personally do not think BB10 devices are better communicators than Android or iOS devices. At the very most, they are on par with each other. Q10 could have the advantage of faster typing depending on how good are are at typing on a physical keyboard vs a virtual one.

Q10/Z10 both have "crapware" if by crapware you mean carrier bloatware. the app situation is dire on BB10, if you care.
    05-31-13 01:06 PM
    Q10.

Looks pretty slick IMO
    05-31-13 01:40 PM
    Considering the way you claim you use your phone, there is no reason whatsoever to "stay away from OS7"........ Or even OS6. Why would you buy a device that has features you don't need? They still have a lot of great OS7 devices and writing them off just because there is a new OS is just plain crazy. Don't get trapped by the "must-have-because-it's-new-even-though-I-don't-need-it" frame of mind.
    But OS7 is going to be dead pretty soon. Developers are developing for BB10 and BB is updating BB10 like crazy. Using OS7 wouldn't be a good idea because it's 2 years old and not very well supported. Plus, if you have a contract, you want something that will be relevant for a while.

OP, since you said stability, you might want to wait a bit like kbz said. There are still issues for some people, like random reboots. Not everyone gets them but some do, so keep that in mind. Having said that, BB is working on things pretty hard and I would think after an update or two everything should be a lot more stable.
    05-31-13 01:54 PM