Hi, I have till the 22nd to get a phone and GPS would be a HUUUGE plus for me.
    However, my carrier sasktel does not support GPS in any of their phones...its a network issue but I think they just have a setting set to "disabled".... I heard with the blackberry storm its possible to unlock the gps without upgrading the firmware or anything. Is this possible?? If yes, Im getting this phone.

Sorry about the lack of detail etc I dont own a smart phone Ive had a flip phone for the past 3 years.
    01-17-10 06:51 PM
    Never heard of sasktel in my life... but Verizon disables the GPS on the Storm and no, it is not able to be unlocked (at least to my knowledge). I think they actually take the physical GPS out (from the searches I've done in the past.. unless I'm remember incorrectly).

If it comes with GPS enabled, then yes.. there is a setting to turn it on and off. But if your carrier disables it, it would be unlikely that you can unlock it. Could be very, very wrong though.... so idk. Just sharing my Verizon experience.
    01-18-10 12:12 AM
    Um, the GPS is unlocked in the Storm...
    01-18-10 01:51 AM
    You could try BBmaps or google maps. It must have something to do with the location setting and not phone.

Here a old thread if it might help.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/sas...-issues-68965/
    01-18-10 02:08 AM
    Carriers do have the option to disable or meddle with the GPS settings in Blackberries. I know that Telus has done this in the past to the curve and the pearl but they have since changed that policy in their more current devices.
    GPS is a physical thing in the phone and it can be turned back in. Year is only for the very advanced user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 06:31 AM
    If you have OS 5 than your Storms GPS should work fine...even on Verizon.

01-18-10 06:39 AM
    VERIZON DOES NOT DISABLE aGPS ON THE STORM. READ THE FREAKIN' FORUMS.

This was debunked about a week after the Storm 1 came out. I have full functioning aGPS (real GPS, not the cell-tower triangulation method) and have since the beginning. FOR FREE (VZN Navigator costs $$, Google Maps GPS is free and works fine).

That said, you couldn't pay me to buy another Storm. I have suffered through this mediocre product for well over a year, and will be ditching it the day my contract expires in August.

I would recommend an Android phone if you can get one. I bought my girlfriend and her daughter Droid ERIS phones and with the exception of the battery life, they are 100 times better then a Storm.

Storm 2 you say? Sorry - RIM has had their chance to show they care about their customers by addressing the Storm 1 problems but they are much more interested in generating new customers, not servicing the existing ones.

Just my .02.

DJ

Never heard of sasktel in my life... but Verizon disables the GPS on the Storm and no, it is not able to be unlocked (at least to my knowledge). I think they actually take the physical GPS out (from the searches I've done in the past.. unless I'm remember incorrectly).

If it comes with GPS enabled, then yes.. there is a setting to turn it on and off. But if your carrier disables it, it would be unlikely that you can unlock it. Could be very, very wrong though.... so idk. Just sharing my Verizon experience.
    01-18-10 03:21 PM
    So this is how well we are education our kids up here in Storrs huh?

The Gps on the storm is fully funcional, I have used my gps flawlessly since day 1.
    Do not be confused about how gps works on the storm mind you, it is not like a Garmin or Magellan, IT WILL NOT TALK TO YOU!

It is strictly a map program, that will trace you as you drive. As flawlessly as it works, you have to watch it in order to find your way if you are not godd directionally. So it is a distraction while driving.

I have even used the gps to track my employees with 3rd party apps, I an watch them on the internet and see exactly where they go with I think 10 sec refresh.

OP if you are not good with directions, get a full size gps unit, they are inexpensive enough. The Storm screen is too small, and you have to be able to read a map.
    01-19-10 08:49 AM
    Ok thanks guy, unfortunately my options are limited to which phone I can get I think Im gonna settle on the storm.
    I did more research and many people on my provider succesfully have gps on their blackberrys with a little bit of tweaking.

derek:
    Yeah, unfortunately I cant get a droid phone Nor can I get an iphone although I probably would get the blackberry before I got that one. My carrier sucks for phone options they are way behind

Feeeeg:
    Thanks, Im mainly using the gps on their as a map type deal and for the most part I wouldnt have it on for the duration of the drive. Mainly just highway use. I like the fact that its portable and I dont have to plug things in and mount a gps unit etc etc.

Another question mainly for Feeeg, can you use a 3rd party app to track other phones with gps or is it like a company thing where you track the vehicles?

Well, 3 days until I get the new phone Im pretty pumped
    01-19-10 07:30 PM
    The Storm GPS works fine and from what ive heard is unlocked...
    01-20-10 01:46 AM
    Jlp,

I dl'd a 3rd party app to my phone and unbeknownst to my drivers stuck the phone on silent mode in the car with them, and tracked where they were going. I had one driver in particular that we suspected was stopping at his house everytime he went on a run, and we were able to find out that he was in fact making stops that were not on his delivery route and wasting a ton of time.
    01-20-10 08:29 AM
    I

I dunno where you're getting your info but VZ does NOT disable the GPS on the Storm 9530

01-20-10 10:29 AM
    GPS works fine on my verizon storm
    01-20-10 12:44 PM
    I'm tying to use BB Maps with GPS. The app does "Searching for satellites" for 4-5 minutes and then displays "Unable to acquire GPS lock." I've upgraded to OS 5, truly believe everything is set right (Data source = device GPS; Location= on; location aiding= enabled - GPS source=Internal GPS; default service=BB Maps). I've never been able to get a GPS signal.

How else can I verify that Verizon has not disabled GPS on my Storm 1?
    01-20-10 04:39 PM
    I'm tying to use BB Maps with GPS. The app does "Searching for satellites" for 4-5 minutes and then displays "Unable to acquire GPS lock." I've upgraded to OS 5, truly believe everything is set right (Data source = device GPS; Location= on; location aiding= enabled - GPS source=Internal GPS; default service=BB Maps). I've never been able to get a GPS signal.

Download Google Maps and try that, if it still doesn't work, you have a bad unit. Get it warrantied.
    01-20-10 06:25 PM
    I have Storm on Verizon. GPS has worked since day one. If you want voice directions you can download apps for that. Some are free but not as good as the ones you pay for.

If GPS is not working, check under your options that the GPS is turned on.
    01-20-10 07:05 PM
    Bb maps works good for me. Pretty cool how it tells you your speed.

Google maps is also pretty good

01-20-10 07:08 PM
    I have the maps and all that but I use Verizon's VZ Navigator I am happy with it and yes, I have to pay for it monthly but I feel safer with it than reading. I am not good at directions and als it is voice activated and that helps when driving. I don't use it a lot but when I do, am glad I have it. It is updated a lot more often than ther GPS devices too. I know you aren't on Verizon but if you were I highly recommend it
    01-20-10 10:44 PM

I have seen BBmaps not acquire sat signal before. Just exit the program completely and restart it. usually will start working.. or do what DaFoxGrey said and try google maps..
    01-21-10 12:10 PM
    I have the maps and all that but I use Verizon's VZ Navigator I am happy with it and yes, I have to pay for it monthly but I feel safer with it than reading. I am not good at directions and als it is voice activated and that helps when driving. I don't use it a lot but when I do, am glad I have it. It is updated a lot more often than ther GPS devices too. I know you aren't on Verizon but if you were I highly recommend it
    With the ten dollars you are paying a month you could have easily saved up enough to buy a real GPS system. Just my two cents.

01-21-10 03:48 PM
    With the ten dollars you are paying a month you could have easily saved up enough to buy a real GPS system. Just my two cents.

That would depend upon what you want. A travel GPS with real time traffic is not that much, if any, cheaper then VzNavigator. Now, after the first year, you will need to update the maps on your GPS (all things being equal since VzNav always has the latest) which will run you an average of 8 months of VzNav service. Now most good (the key word is good) GPS will be at least $150, more on the $200 side, which means you will be hard pressed to have your money returned by 2 years. After the 2 years, you still need new maps. All the while, you need the real time traffic. VzNav is not a bad deal.
    01-21-10 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD