I want my BB8320 Browser to switch automatically between WIFI and WAP.. I already read (three times) the how to sticky on this forum. However, my phone does not show a 'Connection Preference' under Manage Connections -> Mobile Network Options.. It just shows Data Services, Mobile Network and Network Selection Mode as its Mobile Network Options..

What gives? Is there a carrier restriction for this option , or am I missing something ?
    07-04-08 11:50 AM
    Try Options > Mobile Network.

07-04-08 12:04 PM
    Tried it. I get the same menu as before, namely:
    Data Services
    Mobile Network
    Network Selection Mode
    07-04-08 02:48 PM
    What model phone do you have? Does it say wifi on the top of it?
    07-04-08 03:07 PM
    Does it say WiFi? Sure does. Connecting to an access point has not been a problem.

It is a gold color BlackBerry 8320, and I have been able to connect and use the two access points that I currently have access to. The hassle is that every time I want to use WIFI or WAP I have to go onto browser preferences and change the connection method.

- Could it be the OS version? It's the 181. However, I will be upgrading to the newest available OS ASAP.
    - Could it be that phones shipped 'overseas' don't have this option? My carrier ins Cable & Wireless in Panama.
    - Could it be a conspiracy against me

UPDATE:
    I upgraded to 4.2.2.184
    Still no luck...
    Last edited by zilt; 07-04-08 at 04:13 PM.
    07-04-08 03:57 PM
    I don't know if this makes any difference, but T-Mobile and C&W use different technologies.

T-Mobile GSM 1900
    C&W GSM 850
    T-Mobile is listed as roaming partner so they are compatable on that level.

Cable & Wireless Panama - Network Information
    07-04-08 04:28 PM
    go into options > advanced options > service book

make sure you have two service books, one titled Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser [Browser Config]

and

Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport [WPTCP]

if not, resend your service books.
    07-04-08 06:13 PM
    I don't know if this makes any difference, but T-Mobile and C&W use different technologies.

T-Mobile is listed as roaming partner so they are compatable on that level.

Cable & Wireless Panama - Network Information
    doesnt make a difference.
    07-04-08 06:14 PM
    There is no way for your devices browser to "autoswitch"... From what I gather, you want your browser to automatically detect if it is in wifi / mobile network and change between WIFI and WAP browsing. This is not possible and has to be done manually thru browser settings!!

The other option I detailed in my guide... For wifi preferred and automatically changing is for voice... This feature changes between wifi and uma calling to EDGE when out of range of wifi. This does not affect browser settings at all!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-08 12:30 AM
    There is no way for your devices browser to "autoswitch"... From what I gather, you want your browser to automatically detect if it is in wifi / mobile network and change between WIFI and WAP browsing.

Not fair! From what I understand, HTC and iPhone do this autoswitch.. Not 100% sure though... Given that there is no option for browser autoswitch, then I will leave it as it is, since I don't tipically use UMA...

I did look in the Service Book and have both WiFi TCP/IP Browser and WiFi TCP/IP Transport...
    07-06-08 11:15 AM
    This is incredible! After few days of searching, couldn't find anything on this topic.

I have exactly the same problem and exactly the same phone. Gold one, Curve 8320, no carrier's logo on the casing. Phone is brand new, I had to pill off all those plastic protectors off of the phone when I got it out of the box. Phone has that wonderful brand-new-out-of-the-factory smell I did notice that during that first configuration settings procedure, time zone was set to Caracas.

I am on prepaid Fido (Canada), don't have any data plans, nothing. I was just hoping I will be able to connect to my home network from time to time so I can browse internet, but nothing... My home network is recognized and it's showing Wi-Fi logo on the top of the screen. However, I never managed to get IP address assigned. Security password WPA2 is entered properly, everything is fine, but still I can not browse the internet. What's happening ? Why is this happening?

I tried another network at work, also secured, I know my password, everything is configured properly, but I always get "IP Address is no longer valid" message.

Can someone please tell me what should I do ? When I purchased it, I was able to chose between unlocked T-Mobile dark gray version, and this beautiful pale gold one. Of course I went with gold one because it does not have that ugly logo printed on the casing, but I had no clue this is what I'm getting...

Also, I don't have CONNECTION PREFERENCE option listed in this MOBILE NETWORK menu. I even tried hard reset like it's suggested somewhere else in these forums, and even upgraded this phone to 4.2.2.184. Nothing changed, option is not appearing.

Will I ever be able to connect to Wi-Fi with this phone?

I may go back and ask for replacement if there is no solution for this.

Anyone, any advice please?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by quorthonrhar; 07-23-08 at 10:03 AM.
    07-23-08 09:11 AM
    Finally!!!

Got it working, just had to enable Data Services option inside the Manage Connections / Mobile Network Options. I thought this option has to do something with the fact if you have data plan or not, but I don't have it and enabling this thing immediately makes my WiFi working like a charm.

I am on prepaid FIDO service (Canada) and I just checked the status of my account, after half of hour browsing and checking my gmail through webaccess, not a single cent came off of my account. WiFi works perfectly fine.
    08-01-08 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD